Bike won't start

davedep_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Need some info and help in the right direction. Brought the bike out to clean up to start the season. Went to start it and turned key, both speedo and tach cycled up and the oil, temp and neutral light came on, but no sound of the fuel pump and my aftermarket gear indicator counter did not cycle. Clutch handle pulled in, starter pushed, and.....nothing. I did notice lights were on front, rear, turn sigs work, high beam and horn work. I did notice when starter is pushed headlight does go off.
Thought it might be bad battery( 2013 std with original battery) bought new batt, made sure it was charged to 12.8 volts, installed, and still no change. Any ideas? Any help appreciated
 
Like MTC said, check the kill switch. If that is on, the fuel pump won't cycle but everything else works like you said.
 
I think the answer is yes. But I'll have to check when I get home. Also the service manual has a diagram that shows the wiring for starter and the interlocks (separate from the wiring diagram). I'll have to take a look.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Will a CB1100 start with the clutch handle pulled in?
Think so. I think that I lube the chain while the bike is on the center stand and kickstand up, start it in first and with clutch in wheel rotates a little bit so I lube the chain.

Hopefully sounds like OP has a BRB problem, quite inexpensive repair.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Will a CB1100 start with the clutch handle pulled in?

Is there such a thing as a motorcycle that won't start with the clutch pulled in?

(note- clutch and in-gear are 2 different things..., so I think I know what you mean even if you didn't say it)
 
jimgl353_imp said:
I'd say the first place to look is the point at which the aftermarket gear position indicator is wired in.
Yep....as soon as I read "aftermarket" I was thinking the same thing...

As for pulling the clutch lever in, that's actually the ONLY way it will start if you're not in neutral...kickstand still has to be up as well.
 
So... he needs to have his kickstand up, the bike in neutral, the clutch pulled in, and the kill switch to "on", then he can troubleshoot from there. Yes, I know that some of that is redundant, but he can rule out all of those variables at one time this way if it still doesn't start. (still betting on the kill switch since I've done that a few times myself)
 
Thread starter
Thanks to that replied, the gear indicator is a Healtech GIpro ds series in green, it plugs into the wires that are in the deadend in the red fixture(dohickie) under the left side panel, wires run under tank to the gauge cluster. Pluged and unplugged, no difference. I have always pulled in the clutch handle on personal and sheriff dept bikes, muscle memory and habit, you never know if the neutral light is lying. Acting like a "noob" what is BRB. "Big Red Bike"?
Anyways, started checking fusebox by the battery, fuses were good. Decidedto pull the ignition relay and the fuel pump relay. Couldnot see any problems so put the fuel pump relay in ing. spot, bike cranked over pull other in fuel spot and pump sounded on key turn bike then fired up Problem solved? Will invest in new relays.
Thank again for the responses, this group has been a great source of info to me for the last three years
Thanks MTC, your suggestion was the first thing I checked, its the safety and common sense we can all be reminding each other of. Thanks for the reminder,
 
That connector the GiPro plugs into is the diagnostic connector. I too have a GiPro (on both my bikes) I love that thing.

FYI Healtech makes a diagnostic tool that plugs into the connector and a PC. OBD Tool (OBD) - HealTech Electronics Ltd. Of course, you pick the model for a Honda if you ever buy one (for a Honda that is).
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
That connector the GiPro plugs into is the diagnostic connector. I too have a GiPro (on both my bikes) I love that thing.

FYI Healtech makes a diagnostic tool that plugs into the connector and a PC. OBD Tool (OBD) - HealTech Electronics Ltd. Of course, you pick the model for a Honda if you ever buy one (for a Honda that is).
That gear position indicator is on my wishlist for both of my hondas but at $160 a pop, I've never pulled the trigger. So far I've been living with trying to shift into 6th gear every now and then, lol. I like that's it's an easy install with no wire cutting, etc.

Glad you are on the right path for solving your problem, davedep. Maybe just cleaning the relay connectors with tuner cleaner and then adding a spot of dielectric grease is a possible fix rather than replacing?
 
BRB = Big Red Button aka kill switch.
I've reduced my personal error rate with the brb down to just weekly occurrences


Seems like you trouble shot the problem, good work.
 
I seem to remember someone posting on here the same problem last year about this time. When I first read it, I looked to see if it was an old post.
 
I've got the same issue out of the blue. "Brand New" 2014 I bought in Nov. The battery was warrantied right away. Use a Battery Tender on it all the time while in storage for the last 3 months, but still ride it often. Two weeks ago went on a 5 hour ride. Stopped at meeting point and killed the bike but left the key on. Caught it after about 5 minutes. Bike acted like the battery was dead. Waited about 2 minutes, same thing. Another 2 minutes or so and it started and I got home. Chalked it up to just leaving the key on too long

Bike has been on tender since I got back from that ride. I go to start tonight, tender showing green, won't turn over. Lights are on, dials cycle, but bike won't turn over like a dead battery. Tender charged it back up again, and same problem. It tries to start, but can't.

Could the new battery put in be dead already, even though it was replaced in Nov? Very strange. Almost like a starter problem instead of a battery issue.
 
You should have the battery charged and load tested. It sounds like a battery, but if a new one was put in 6 months ago, that doesn't make any sense. But if a key was left on for 5 minutes, and then it was dead to the world, that's the first thing I would suspect.

Btw batteries have their own specific manufacturers warranty. Usually a year but sometimes 2 years. So if it is bad, demand a new one foc.
 
AGM batteries fail with the symptoms you list. And a number of us have had them :) No one on here ever wants to believe the battery is dead. If you charge it until that green light comes on and then load test it like Ferret says, you will see it is bad. BTDT. So have a number of others.

Even new batteries can be bad right out of the box, or fail shortly thereafter. Thus, warranties.

My dealer won't sell you a new battery until he load tests the new one with his fancy digital load tester. Just to make sure it is good.
 
Back
Top