Bike fell over, broke the front brake lever and bent the rear brake

jlouis976_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
I stopped on a hill that banked to the right and I dumped the bike. I’m fine but I bent the front brake lever (then broke it trying to bend it straight) and bent the rear brake pedal.

Do you guys have any tips on where to buy a new front brake lever? Also, is there anything that I need to ensure is still good-to-go/not-damaged from a safety perspective?

This is a 2014 standard black bike. It was flawless. Heck it was new. Now the case has a scratch and the brakes are messed up.

Thank you for your help. Yeah....this sucks.
 
jlouis, not the best way to arrive on the forum, but welcome anyway. You're not the first, and I'm sure you wont be the last to lay your CB1100 over. But it's a bummer when it happens the first time.

The good news is that you're all right.

A new front brake lever can be had from a dealer or one of the on-line parts stores. Partsfish seems to be a favourite source at least to look up the part you need. https://www.partsfish.com/page/oem-parts-for-honda

I'm sure your fellow Americans will help with the best source.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
jlouis, not the best way to arrive on the forum, but welcome anyway. You're not the first, and I'm sure you wont be the last to lay your CB1100 over. But it's a bummer when it happens the first time.

The good news is that you're all right.

A new front brake lever can be had from a dealer or one of the on-line parts stores. Partsfish seems to be a favourite source at least to look up the part you need. https://www.partsfish.com/page/oem-parts-for-honda

I'm sure your fellow Americans will help with the best source.
Thanks man. It was humbling for sure. That booger is heavy, particularly on a downward incline. I barely got it back up on my own.

I will check out partsfish. Cheers!
 
Welcome jloius! It's not great the second time either! It's easy to forget that the bike is more than a bit top heavy after motoring around so nimbly. Keep an eye out for uneven footing and gravel. You and I are probably the only ones this has happened to, so I won't tell if you don't.
I have had good luck with Barrets online for parts, there are others.

Ben
 
As far as making sure all is well with the brakes. I’d look closely at the master cylinder and make sure there are no cracks where the lever mounts, etc. and for the rear, maybe remove the lever and bend it back and make sure the mounting and all is ok. And the brake light switch is good.

Then, do the brakes work? Does the brake light come on when the front lever is pulled and the rear lever pushed? Good to go.
 
Thread starter
This is great help. Thank you all.

The footing is what got me. I slid on loose asphalt/gravel. I think I could have handled the incline but the slide killed me.

My right side crank case is scratched as well. Is it worth trying to touch up with paint or is it easier/cheaper to just buy a new one?
 
Sorry to hear this, but welcome! Many view brake and clutch levers as consumable -- they're usually the first to break, followed by turn signals and foot pegs. Easily remedied.
 
Can’t help with the cover. Mine is a ‘13 and not painted. But in my case it would bother me to no end and I’d replace it (on mine). Ferret OTOH doesn’t care and would look at it as a story to tell :)

Someone else can help, but maybe it can be buffed out and repainted or powder coated.
 
jlouis, if you're that way inclined, I don't think restoring the crank case cover is all that difficult. There's a post here http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2802 which shows it being done on a silver engined CB1100. I thought there was more text. If you can't see the pictures, you can install the Photobucket fix extension on either Chrome or Firefox on your PC or Mac and they will display.
 
Had the same thing happen to me, on my grass though. Ordered a new lever from Rocky Mountain Atv & Motorcycle. They have OEM parts diagrams for every nut and bolt on the bike. Bike Bandit is similar.
 
I did the same thing on my CB 350 years ago twice.... hard lesson learned to always lean uphill when you stop on an incline.
 
I learned this the hard way as well. Since then as soon as I buy a bike I buy and carry spare clutch and brake levers in case I ever break one while out on the road.
 
broken things I will replace. Scratched things I tend to live with. Have had a single door ding in my Honda Ridgeline for 8 years.Happened the first week I had it I think. Seems nothing stays perfect for very long. (not that I need it to). The FJR is certainly wearing some battle scars right now.lol
 
My new car got a door ding last Spring. Right back to the dealer for repair. Nice job by the dent guy and was cheap. I’ve seen your damage on the FJR board and NO WAY I’d have that. Would bother me to no end :)
 
In August 8 years ago, we had 15 min hail storm. Ice chunks had size of 1/2 a cigarette pack. My car (2007) had 170-180 dents all over - no paint damage/crack. There was a group of paint-less dent removal specialists that delt with this issue for 7 hrs. Even today, you cannot see any damage during day, sun, fluorescent or any other type of light at all = fixed permanently.
 
Here are some pics of our illustrius leader with his and his steed’s damage. I couldn’t stand that on a new bike. Seems to me it could repaired and repainted (the bike, not Ferret’s arm :) )

Ferret down
 
Am more than certain that after arm and other fall related maladies improvement, bike will get back to before-fall condition :thumbsup:
...and then = :biker:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Here are some pics of our illustrius leader with his and his steed’s damage. I couldn’t stand that on a new bike. Seems to me it could repaired and repainted (the bike, not Ferret’s arm :) )

Ferret down

Good night I can't hide anywhere :dodgy:

It's only scratches. whose to say I if I turn it in to insurance company now I don't fall over again? If the saddlebag or fairing were crushed they would get replaced, but they are fine, just scratched up a little. Function over form. It's a tool!

"Chicks dig scars"
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Here are some pics of our illustrius leader with his and his steed’s damage. I couldn’t stand that on a new bike. Seems to me it could repaired and repainted (the bike, not Ferret’s arm :) )

Ferret down

Good night I can't hide anywhere :dodgy:

It's only scratches. whose to say I if I turn it in to insurance company now I don't fall over again? If the saddlebag or fairing were crushed they would get replaced, but they are fine, just scratched up a little. Function over form. It's a tool!

"Chicks dig scars"
Strong the power of my CB1100forum Secrete Decoder Ring (the only known one) is. Especially when RLETS close by they are. ;)
 
Back
Top