Beverage Containers, Holders, and Carriers

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
Many of us travel with water, soda, coffee, or tea (see The Ferret's Seat Time report titled "Riding to warm up" for a few photos of one of his tea breaks). I would be interested in knowing what types of containers riders use for their beverages, be they hot or cold, and how they carry, mount, or otherwise store that container on their bike so that it does not leak or spill. Please include any brand names and mounting suggestions.

Wasn't sure if this should go in the "Accessories" category, but it seems more like gear to me.
 
I should travel with water much more often than I do. When I remember, I have a aluminium, insulated water bottle I just sling in the top box. It comes from Kathmandu—an outdoor and travel equipment shop. The insulation is good as anything in the top box gets hot where I ride and tepid to warm water is not really to my taste.

It has a screw top with a drinking spout protected by a cover that is clipped securely in place.

I can't post a link as they don't seem to stock it any more.
 
Top box? You could fill up the lower part with crushed ice and carry some cold soft drinks. :beerchug:
 
I always carry fluids, usually a thermos of hot tea which I can drink and enjoy hot or cold. Quite often I also carry a plastic bottle of Lipton Green Tea citrus. I am not much of a water person, but on trips I carry a plastic bottle of water simply because I can refill it in my room everyday, and some straws of Crystal Light lemonade to pour into the water bottle to give it some flavor. I have never been one that requires fluids to be of any particular temperature .. warm fluid is just as good to me as cold fluid. Therefore if a bottle of water or green tea, sits in my tank bag for a couple of days and is " ambient temperature" be that icy sludge or just below boiling, that's fine with me. As long as it's wet, it quenches my thirst. Since I always have a tank bag and or tail pack on my bikes, storage is never a problem.
 
Thread starter
Do you brew your tea at home then pour it into the thermos or jus pop a tea bag or two into the thermos, add hot water, and go?
 
Different sized Titanium flasks depending on length of trip for spirits made by Varo and Snow Peak. SIGG metal bottles occasionally. Nalgene bottles for water. I have several small MSR stoves I use to heat anything like instant coffee when out on the road. Regardless of how you carry them on the bike...horizontal...upside down etc...none of these containers leak.....ever!
 
We always carry bottled water and plenty of it. Doesn't matter if it gets a bit warm so no reason to use an insulated carrier. If I want a warm drink I'll stop somewhere for coffee.
 
Canteens vs plastic water bottles. I bought a reusable water bottle (canteen) years ago when they became popular with the office masses, but quickly found out that keeping them clean was a chore. They get pretty nasty inside and unless they are clear it's hard to tell. I also prefer flavored bottle water, but it can get expensive off the shelf. My solution is similar to Ferrets. I refill the recyclable clear water bottles (not the ultra thin ones) with tap water and add a liquid flavor that comes in a small bottle. I reuse the bottle till it starts to get the road hard look, then start over with a fresh bottle for $1.50. I guess you could say that it's a light green solution. :D
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Do you brew your tea at home then pour it into the thermos or jus pop a tea bag or two into the thermos, add hot water, and go?

Sea because I use creme and sugar in my hot tea, I brew it at home (seep the bag 2:30) or at the hotel and pour it into the thermos.

(drinking cup#1 of the day as I type .... Mmmmmmmm)
 
I have an insulated stainless bottle I fill with water. I throw it in my saddlebag on the Honda. On my V-strom, I have a bottle holder mounted to the left side engine crash bar. The bottle has a flip up drinking spout with a straw inside, so I can drink without tilting my head back. Going down the road, it's easy to flip open my modular helmet, grab the bottle, and take a sip. It's just forward of my knee, so any easy reach. If you go to the 9:20 mark of my V-strom video, you can see my bottle mount:


 
Nice device !
FYI - I noticed in the video the Ram phone holder you have. I think I have the same one to hold my 6+. It felt pretty secure till my phone dropped out of it at 40mph last summer. I didn't even see it fall. Luckily my son was behind me and was able to stop and pick the phone up. If it gets used again I will definitely add a tether.
 
Thread starter
This is exactly why I created this thread...so many different variations on what might seem like a basic theme.

I have a full-face helmet and I'm not particularly interested in a modular, so I've been looking at Camelbak systems or at lest the tube and "bite end" so that I can drink water without stopping. However, I do enjoy bringing a hot beverage (usually coffee, but sometimes tee) along on a ride, particularly morning rides. I don't want to suck those through a straw and I don't want them spilling in my bag, either. I have a very cool and very rugged Stanley commuter cup that keeps things warm or cold for a loooooong time. I just worry that it might leak. I've tested it a little and I think it's OK, but I'd feel more comfortable if it was held upright. I'm thinking about some sort of mounting bracket that I could clamp to the grab rail so that my beverage would be there waiting for me when I dismounted.
 
Sea, put your thermos in a 1 gallon zip lock storage or freezer bag for a few rides, If it does leak it will only leak into that bag. If it doesn't leak you no longer need the bag.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
This is exactly why I created this thread...so many different variations on what might seem like a basic theme.

I have a full-face helmet and I'm not particularly interested in a modular, so I've been looking at Camelbak systems or at lest the tube and "bite end" so that I can drink water without stopping. However, I do enjoy bringing a hot beverage (usually coffee, but sometimes tee) along on a ride, particularly morning rides. I don't want to suck those through a straw and I don't want them spilling in my bag, either. I have a very cool and very rugged Stanley commuter cup that keeps things warm or cold for a loooooong time. I just worry that it might leak. I've tested it a little and I think it's OK, but I'd feel more comfortable if it was held upright. I'm thinking about some sort of mounting bracket that I could clamp to the grab rail so that my beverage would be there waiting for me when I dismounted.
MTC, if you run a tank bag, you can put a hydration pack reservoir and run the hose out of the bag and figure out a way to clip the bite valve somewhere in easy reach.
 
Have a cup holder mounted to the handlebars of my other bike. Before heading out I grab a water bottle from the fridge pop it into a coozie and go.
In hot weather I keep several bottles in the freezer and top off with some tap water before heading out. Snacks in a pocket or the sidecar. Have a wicker picnic basket I put on the rear luggage rack with a blanket for when we go all out picnic. Carry a 1 liter stainless water bottle and dish for the dogs when riding.
On the CB I end up putting the water bottle in either a tank or tail bag. For day trips I breakout my lunch box, pack a sandwich and choose my drink - prefer lemonade.
Have various bottles and thermos, end up going back consistently to the "square" plastic bottles because they are durable.

When I worked I commuted with a big thermos of coffee but never drank any while riding.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Many of us travel with water, soda, coffee, or tea (see The Ferret's Seat Time report titled "Riding to warm up" for a few photos of one of his tea breaks). I would be interested in knowing what types of containers riders use for their beverages, be they hot or cold, and how they carry, mount, or otherwise store that container on their bike so that it does not leak or spill. Please include any brand names and mounting suggestions.

Wasn't sure if this should go in the "Accessories" category, but it seems more like gear to me.
I use any gas station/convenience store. Just about any beverage I want I can get at those stores. Don't have to worry about keeping it hot or cold. Had to stop for gas anyway.

Did you know that they have jerky there too?
 
the_undecider_imp said:
I have an insulated stainless bottle I fill with water. I throw it in my saddlebag on the Honda. On my V-strom, I have a bottle holder mounted to the left side engine crash bar. The bottle has a flip up drinking spout with a straw inside, so I can drink without tilting my head back. Going down the road, it's easy to flip open my modular helmet, grab the bottle, and take a sip. It's just forward of my knee, so any easy reach. If you go to the 9:20 mark of my V-strom video, you can see my bottle mount:


Neat mounting solution. Like.

As for me, I just dump a water-safe plastic or stainless steel container or two in the rear top box and go. Really that simple. It is usually nestled among other jazz, so it doesn't rattle around. Temperature doesn't matter - hydration does. If I want something nice, I will buy on-the-go or in a sit down restaurant as a treat. This is part of the journey's experience.
 
Back
Top