Bent brake lever and an early lesson

JMA_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
As stated in my new member post, the CB11 is my first bike. As in, first ever. Naturally, there is a learning curve to climb and here is one early lesson among many that have come my way: I was commuting to work and riding just a bit cocky this morning for no earned reason and I came around a corner to a yellow light. I didn't realize how fast I was traveling until I hit the brakes, and my front brake a little too hard at that. My bike slipped on the plastic white arrow in the road and I watched over my right shoulder as my rear wheel began to catch up with the front. I noticed that the driver in the intersection waiting to make the left had noticed the trouble I was in and, thankfully, was no longer interested in beating me through the light. I released the brakes and hit the throttle and my bike straitened up and glided through the intersection. This was my first real close call and I was shaken, but made it to work unscathed. In the parking lot of the office I grabbed for the brake instead of the clutch while parking and ran away from danger as my bike slammed to the ground. I rode home cautiously with a bent brake lever, and that weekend went to work because as they say on tv, a man never lets another work on his motorcycle. I'm no mechanic, but I think I learned to love working on my motorcycle through this simple task. I know I learned to pull over after a close call.

 
The CB1100 is not an appropriate motorcycle as a first bike.

I'd recommend taking some courses, MSF, AMA, whatever is available. Some track days have a really, really good new rider school.

Many will give you pat on the back, happy to have yet another CB1100 rider in the club, and tell you you'll be fine, it's a nice mellow ride, just take it easy. No.

You're lucky your first incident was very, very minor.
Forgot to ask, you have a non-ABS bike? Or did it not work as expected?
 
JMA, my buddy has a key fob with the round end of a bent lever. He took and cut it off...ground it down and rounded/smoothed it on a grinder and drilled a hole through it...looks good...
 
I'm not one to preach to others about what is right for them, but I would agree the CB is probably inappropriate for first-time riders, primarily due to its weight. Glad your incident was minor -- it happens. I sincerely hope it'll be your last.
 
Did you get a set of engine guards? I got them for my first big bike and they saved the engine when I threw it down the road the first week I had it. It was my third bike, I crashed it twice in the first year I had it.
 
Glad you and the bike are OK. My first bike was a V45 Magna, similar weight and more power than the CB1100. I survived and only went down one on a country road when a corner was sharper than I anticipated so I tried a panic stop.

My suggestion would be to slow down and learn your limits sooner than later (you already have the bike so that's not likely to change). Find a deserted area to test panic braking. Learn how your bike will handle under different conditions so you can prepare earlier. No one has more to lose than the person on a motorcycle.
 
JMA, sorry to hear of your trials, but glad to hear you're OK.
 
You know, a little time on Youtube will show you quite a few experienced riders making mistakes so don't let it get you down in the least bit. They warned us about those plastic road markings in the MSF class I took a few years ago after my CB was delivered and before I rode it.

I also echo what was already said, for new riders, not especially you but anyone reading this thread, that it is important to take the class even if you rode some years before. It gives you the ability to make mistakes with their school bikes. Then, after you get on your bike, spend some time in an empty school parking lot early Sunday morning practicing 20-30 quick stops to get a feel of the bike's balance and her braking and when you get to the point just before she lock's up.

Finally, if no ABS (like me) and the back locks then ride it to a stop so it does not flip the bike (it is called a "high side" wreck, see Youtube). Actually lock it in practicing, again keeping the brake locked and riding it to a stop till you release the rear brake, and get a feel for that so it does not panic you when it's time to brake hard for real.
 
Nightrider offers some good advice.
When I came back to bikes in 1992 it had been 34 years since I owned or rode a motorcycle.
I still knew and understood the mechanics of riding, but to reassure my wife, I took the MSF course and was very glad that I did.
I learned things that I would never have thought of on my own - or maybe learned the hard way :D
 
That's a good thing to point out, Rocky. After I came back to riding I won an advance riding course in a raffle on a poker ride. I eventually got around to taking it and was extremely pleased I had. I learned a great many things I probably knew but instinctually rather than from being taught as well as a lot of stuff I didn't.

There is never a moment when you can't learn and, on a motorcycle, there is no substitute for experience. So ride lots.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the advice all. No need to worry too much, I was just sharing a story here (really with the purpose of showing off my (not so) handy work to replace the bent lever) and I've had many other happily non-eventful rides since picking up the cb in May. I chose this bike carefully and knew it was bigger and heavier than most recommended first bikes, but I had my reasons and I remain happy with my decision.

Ride lots, indeed. Right on, Coramanus.
 
Well your work looked pretty handy to me. I was surprised you could even bend it back without it breaking. Any tricks to that?
 
Pulling over after a close call is a good move. When nerves get jangled, I find it takes me a few minutes to unwind. No reason to rush.
Glad you are good to go!
 
This bike is really great for new riders... it doesn't have a ton of power, the brakes are really good, and the weight is very decent and balanced. Forget the nay sayers. You want to know an inappropriate bike for new riders? A CBR1000RR.

What IS really bad for new riders is more bravado than brains. Keep your ego in check. Don't attempt to beat yellow lights. Don't ride around like a hooligan. Be conservative. There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots. :-)

Also, if you almost kill yourself on a bike, seriously, sit down for about 30 minutes. Your body dumps a ton of adrenaline and your fine motor skills go out the window and your higher order cognitive functions fade (it's science). If you continue, you're more likely to make whatever happened worse. Good luck!
 
The front brakes on this bike are better than the ones that were on my gen2 Busa. They will overpower the front tire and suspension's traction limits. I use one finger with shorty levers. That's how strong they are.
 
AzBob_imp said:
This bike is really great for new riders... it doesn't have a ton of power, the brakes are really good, and the weight is very decent and balanced. Forget the nay sayers. You want to know an inappropriate bike for new riders? A CBR1000RR.

What IS really bad for new riders is more bravado than brains. Keep your ego in check. Don't attempt to beat yellow lights. Don't ride around like a hooligan. Be conservative. There are old pilots, and bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots. :-)

Also, if you almost kill yourself on a bike, seriously, sit down for about 30 minutes. Your body dumps a ton of adrenaline and your fine motor skills go out the window and your higher order cognitive functions fade (it's science). If you continue, you're more likely to make whatever happened worse. Good luck!
The 1983 VF750F production superbike also made by Honda made identical power and came in at the same weight as the CB1100.

The only real difference is that the CB1100 makes about 50 percent MORE torque. And the brakes are MUCH better.

I really don't think new riders are being born these days that can somehow be fine on a bike with the same basic specifications as a bike that was considered an expert's machine and was the basis for several superbike championships.

New riders today don't have any sense of perspective since most were not even born in 1983 and don't know who Freddie Spencer or Wayne Rainey are.

So we have a difference of opinion.

Naturally the inclination seems to be "the more the merrier" when it comes to getting guys to buy CB1100s. Then they can join the forum and learn the ropes.

However, I don't want to see some new rider come to grief just for the sake of getting new members.

That's why Honda makes CB300s, CB500s, and so on.

I'd rather see folks join the forum after they've spent some time on a more appropriately-sized motorcycle and then upgraded to the CB1100.

Motorcycle injuries and fatalities are up. Don't be part of that.
 
Lol I doubt that Bob was drafting new members for the forum, probably more a sense of perspective where the CB is rather mild in it's power delivery compared to even a 600 super sport which many kids start on. It's an easy bike to ride, handles well and has good brakes all things a beginning rider would appreciate. That said, unless someone admitted to years of dirt bike experience, I don't think it's a bike I would point a newbie towards for the reason that it a heavy bike and a beginner is surely going to drop it a time or two learning the ropes.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
The CB1100 is not an appropriate motorcycle as a first bike.

I'd recommend taking some courses, MSF, AMA, whatever is available. Some track days have a really, really good new rider school.

Many will give you pat on the back, happy to have yet another CB1100 rider in the club, and tell you you'll be fine, it's a nice mellow ride, just take it easy. No.

You're lucky your first incident was very, very minor.
Forgot to ask, you have a non-ABS bike? Or did it not work as expected?
I started on a Kawasaki GPZ 750 super bike. The CB is a very easy and controllable bike to ride and handle as a first bike but it's up to the rider to use common sense and self control no matter what amount of time they have been riding or how much experience. The OPs incident would have happened no matter what bike he was riding. Exercise common sense and self control at all times no matter what bike your on. My Kawasaki was an animal but I knew to use control. Some are naturals and others may take more time.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top