Belstaff Waxed Cotton Jacket

drodg33

Been there
Thread starter
I have an Aerostitch jacket that I have ridden with for years but it is kind of ugly. I also have an old leather jacket (Hein Gericke) that would be nice to update. So I am wondering about buying a waxed cotton jacket to kind of replace both. I like the water proofing idea of waxed cotton. My question is more of an opinion of guys who own them and if they like the Belstaff jackets or like kind of jackets. I know Vanson makes one now also that is sold through Union Garage in Brooklyn. Thanks
 
I've owned a few, they are beautiful, but extremely expensive now that they are owned by an Italian fashion house. The motorcycle line is great kit. I actually sold my Bellstaff Trialmaster waxed, and bought one of the 'Long Way Round' textile ones, which I like better functionally if not aesthetically. I have a short Belstaff waxed cotton (can't recall the name) that I like as an alternative to leather. Check out British Motorcycle Gear (BMG) for the line, they are excellent to deal with.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the info. I am looking for a jacket to replace my Aerostitch and it's versatility but that looks good. It is a Darien and it has been a great jacket especially if you get caught in a rain. It is not a rain jacket but it keeps you pretty dry. I like it's safety value and if it does get warm you can open up the vents and get some air flow. As you guys know it wasn't cheap. I also have a real old Hein Gericke sp? that I have had for about 20 years and would like to get something with armor but would like to buy one jacket not two. I have a BMW venting machine for summer riding that is fantastic for 80+ days. Anyhow thanks everyone for your input.
 
Aerostitch carries a Flalstaff oiled canvas jacket now. I was checking it out earlier this month - very nice. Just a bit rich (and warm) for my blood.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Aerostitch carries a Flalstaff oiled canvas jacket now. I was checking it out earlier this month - very nice. Just a bit rich (and warm) for my blood.
Thanks I just looked at it.
Thanks I just looked at it.
I have never seen this jacket before and it is certainly an option. Read some of the reviews and most people seem to like the jacket. Thanks again
 
If you do decide to get waxed cotton be sure to check the weight, this give the thickness of the material. I bought a cheap version of the Belstaff which looks the same but is no where near the weight or quality. Unfortunately, some celebrities got to buying Belstaff as fashion wear and the price shot up, past what I think they are worth. Barbour is the other famous British firm making this style and they are a little cheaper.
 
If you're going to buy one of these I would recommend that you try them on in person, or buy from someone with an airtight return policy. Belstaff's sizing is all over the map between different styles and and even between an individual year's version of the same coat.
 
Thread starter
4 Paws_imp said:
Just wandered the Triumph showroom, have waxed cotton clothing.
Motorcycles too!
I find myself spending way too much time agonizing over a new motorcycle jacket. I think waxed cotton is the answer for a more three season riding but if I go down I think I would prefer having an Aerostitch jacket or leather on my body. I am not totally convinced wax cotton is that great for abrasion resistance.
 
drodg58_imp said:
4 Paws_imp said:
Just wandered the Triumph showroom, have waxed cotton clothing.
Motorcycles too!
I find myself spending way too much time agonizing over a new motorcycle jacket. I think waxed cotton is the answer for a more three season riding but if I go down I think I would prefer having an Aerostitch jacket or leather on my body. I am not totally convinced wax cotton is that great for abrasion resistance.
I find myself spending way too much time agonizing over a new motorcycle jacket. I think waxed cotton is the answer for a more three season riding but if I go down I think I would prefer having an Aerostitch jacket or leather on my body. I am not totally convinced wax cotton is that great for abrasion resistance.
I had a Belstaff years ago and it ripped up the front next to the line of the zip during a very slow speed 'off'. I was riding a Yamaha SR500 and the frame spilt near the headstock and warm oil covered the jacket and my clothes beneath.
 
Belstaff is now fashion, just a label, produced in Italy, and far to expensive, but does not provide real protection.
 
Thread starter
Django_imp said:
Belstaff is now fashion, just a label, produced in Italy, and far to expensive, but does not provide real protection.
I think that is the general assumption from riders now that they are overpriced and not that protective. Though I believe they now have a separate motorcycle line that has protective armor etc. Still expensive though.
 
Django_imp said:
Belstaff is now fashion, just a label, produced in Italy, and far to expensive, but does not provide real protection.
They totally are. They're weird in that they seem to swing back and forth between the two extremes. One year they offer double thick elbows and shoulders with D3O armour and the next they're fashion thickness leather and a cut so slim you can barely move in.
 
I've been wearing the same Koolah brand wax bomber jacket out of Australia for the past 15 years and just last month had to have my mother-in-law sew up a small tear by the cuff, the first maint. it needed. The "Iron Ogress" does top notch work. Can't see it was repaired. Prob good for another 10 at least.
 
:rofl: Iron Ogress . Sounds like a lovely woman
 
Thread starter
I want to ask has anyone gone down with one on and how did it survive but I kinda don't want to ask!
 
Back
Top