Battery tender

NickLHG_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Looking into getting a battery tender for my bike. J&P cycles has plenty to choose from but thought I’d come here first. Anyone have any suggestions? Oh and how many volts does my 2014 dlx have?
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Your batterie is a 12 volt one and I like the Optimate / Tecmate batterie chargers . Check them out online.

sweet thank you. Another question for you.. my 2014 dlx just arrived today. Is it a CB1100 SA AC? Or it is a CB1100 AC? I’m looking at some oem parts on Babbits.com.
If I’m correct it’s a CB1100 SA but I’m not sure exactly what the AC is.
 
Optimate has worked well for me on all my 12V lead-based batteries, not just from the CB.

Deltran has worked well for me too - at least no problems auto-detecting lead-based and lithium-based batteries and servicing them.
 
NickLHG_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Your batterie is a 12 volt one and I like the Optimate / Tecmate batterie chargers . Check them out online.

sweet thank you. Another question for you.. my 2014 dlx just arrived today. Is it a CB1100 SA AC? Or it is a CB1100 AC? I’m looking at some oem parts on Babbits.com.
If I’m correct it’s a CB1100 SA but I’m not sure exactly what the AC is.

sweet thank you. Another question for you.. my 2014 dlx just arrived today. Is it a CB1100 SA AC? Or it is a CB1100 AC? I’m looking at some oem parts on Babbits.com.
If I’m correct it’s a CB1100 SA but I’m not sure exactly what the AC is.
The US model Deluxe with a red tank and dual mufflers is a CB1100SA
 
I too use an Optimate charger and retired my faithful Battery Tender that I had used for nearly 20 years.
My 2014 CB came with an Optimate pigtail attached to the battery so used that as an "excuse" to upgrade :D :D
 
When I bought my CB, the original owner gave me a cheapie Harbor Freight tender that he used, and the bike only had 1700 miles, so that tender was being used extensively. The original battery lasted six years, so that's pretty darn good!
 
NickLHG_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Your batterie is a 12 volt one and I like the Optimate / Tecmate batterie chargers . Check them out online.

sweet thank you. Another question for you.. my 2014 dlx just arrived today. Is it a CB1100 SA AC? Or it is a CB1100 AC? I’m looking at some oem parts on Babbits.com.
If I’m correct it’s a CB1100 SA but I’m not sure exactly what the AC is.
It’s a CB1100 SA AC.
 
I own three "Battery Tender Junior" chargers that I keep hooked-up to three different bikes. I purchased all of them on Amazon, the last one cost me $28.23, with shipping. The model is 021-0123. All three have been working very well for me; the oldest one I have owned for almost two years.
 
NickLHG_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Your batterie is a 12 volt one and I like the Optimate / Tecmate batterie chargers . Check them out online.

sweet thank you. Another question for you.. my 2014 dlx just arrived today. Is it a CB1100 SA AC? Or it is a CB1100 AC? I’m looking at some oem parts on Babbits.com.
If I’m correct it’s a CB1100 SA but I’m not sure exactly what the AC is.
I get confused almost everytime I go to look for DLX oem parts.

NOw after the parts loads up, I view "EXHAUST" category, and see if qty=2 . This helps me confirm that I'm viewing the DLX parts fische.

A couple yrs ago when my oem battery died, i sprung for the lithium battery. no more battery tender! :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
jedd_imp said:
NickLHG_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Your batterie is a 12 volt one and I like the Optimate / Tecmate batterie chargers . Check them out online.

sweet thank you. Another question for you.. my 2014 dlx just arrived today. Is it a CB1100 SA AC? Or it is a CB1100 AC? I’m looking at some oem parts on Babbits.com.
If I’m correct it’s a CB1100 SA but I’m not sure exactly what the AC is.
I get confused almost everytime I go to look for DLX oem parts.

NOw after the parts loads up, I view "EXHAUST" category, and see if qty=2 . This helps me confirm that I'm viewing the DLX parts fische.

A couple yrs ago when my oem battery died, i sprung for the lithium battery. no more battery tender! :beerchug:
I get confused almost everytime I go to look for DLX oem parts.

NOw after the parts loads up, I view "EXHAUST" category, and see if qty=2 . This helps me confirm that I'm viewing the DLX parts fische.

A couple yrs ago when my oem battery died, i sprung for the lithium battery. no more battery tender! :beerchug:
Wait.. you won’t need a battery tender if you use a lithium? Didn’t know you could use a lithium battery at all. Do you happen to have a link of the battery that will work with the dlx? Definitely interested one day.
My bike is now 6 years old with 3406 miles on it, how often do I replace the battery? Every someodd years or x miles?
Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the tender off jpcycles.. will be returning when I get it as I’ll be able to purchase 25.00 cheaper on amazon. Should’ve done more research before purchasing.
 
NickLHG_imp said:
jedd_imp said:
NickLHG_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Your batterie is a 12 volt one and I like the Optimate / Tecmate batterie chargers . Check them out online.

sweet thank you. Another question for you.. my 2014 dlx just arrived today. Is it a CB1100 SA AC? Or it is a CB1100 AC? I’m looking at some oem parts on Babbits.com.
If I’m correct it’s a CB1100 SA but I’m not sure exactly what the AC is.
I get confused almost everytime I go to look for DLX oem parts.

NOw after the parts loads up, I view "EXHAUST" category, and see if qty=2 . This helps me confirm that I'm viewing the DLX parts fische.

A couple yrs ago when my oem battery died, i sprung for the lithium battery. no more battery tender! :beerchug:
I get confused almost everytime I go to look for DLX oem parts.

NOw after the parts loads up, I view "EXHAUST" category, and see if qty=2 . This helps me confirm that I'm viewing the DLX parts fische.

A couple yrs ago when my oem battery died, i sprung for the lithium battery. no more battery tender! :beerchug:
Wait.. you won’t need a battery tender if you use a lithium? Didn’t know you could use a lithium battery at all. Do you happen to have a link of the battery that will work with the dlx? Definitely interested one day.
My bike is now 6 years old with 3406 miles on it, how often do I replace the battery? Every someodd years or x miles?
Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the tender off jpcycles.. will be returning when I get it as I’ll be able to purchase 25.00 cheaper on amazon. Should’ve done more research before purchasing.
This is the one I bought for my dlx in jan 2018.
Click here
 
I, like many of the other members, use a Battery Tender Junior 12V to keep the batteries in my CB and Monkey charged. The brand has been around for a long time, and I have found it to be very reliable. Currently Amazon has the Battery Tender Junior for $24.95.

Just like the battery tender, do your homework first before plunking down your hard earned cash. I had contemplated going with a lithium ion ( LI ) battery when the time comes to replace the stock Yuasa lead acid ( LA ) battery in my CB. You can read the results of my research here: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14995 . I am not knocking the LI batteries, or anyone that chooses to use them, just make an informed decision. From what I found out, I decided to stay with the stock Yuasa, but draw your own conclusions after doing the homework. I would recommend 2 things if you decide to go Lithium Ion: 1.) Only consider LI batteries that have a built in battery management system ( BMS ) as not all LI batteries have it. 2.) Buy and use only a dedicated LI battery tender, or a charger/maintainer specifically made for use with LI batteries.
 
2017EX speaks wisely. Do your research. Only buy LI with built in BMS and use a LI specific charger.

And understand how they work. When temps drop, you may have to run the headlight for a time to warm the battery before it will start the bike.

Disclaimer: I use OEM Yuasa batteries in my bikes.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
2017EX speaks wisely. Do your research. Only buy LI with built in BMS and use a LI specific charger.

And understand how they work. When temps drop, you may have to run the headlight for a time to warm the battery before it will start the bike.

Disclaimer: I use OEM Yuasa batteries in my bikes.
Seems like it’s easier to use OEM like I originally intended. That is what I shall do.
 
After you replace the battery, start the bike and meter the battery to ensure the charging system is working.
 
That’s interesting, GO.
 
Back
Top