Battery replacement - Beware aftermarket

pekingduck

Road warrior
Thread starter
I needed to replace the battery on my 2013. It had the original Yuasa YTZ14S that retailed from Honda for $188. The YTZ line is Yuasa's best technology, but I thought I'd look at cheaper replacements, and there were plenty.

I've had good luck with them in the past, but when I ordered one for under $40 shipped, I received something a much lighter one. The original battery weighs 8.6 pounds, but the replacement weighed 2.2 pounds less, even though the model was the same. (KMG brand YTZ14S, made in China of course)

They were among several Yuasa battery models with the same footprint and the same or similar height, with different amp rating and cranking amp, and of course, weight. Mine correlated to a YTX9-BS that had only 135 cold cranking amps, compared to the original's 230cca rating.

Still, I needed a battery, so even though it had over 13.1 volts, I charged it overnight for its best chance of longevity. The next day it had 13.8 volts, I installed it, and the bike cranked over willingly.

Four cylinders crank evenly with much less effort than a twin or single, and I'm in a warm climate. Even so, I don't trust it as much as the original, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Caveat emptor
 
If the YTZ is Yuasa's best technology, then I'm not impressed. The OE Yuasa on my CB only lasted four years and it was nursed on a Battery Tender when not ridden. On other bikes, I've gone 7-8 years on so-called "cheap" aftermarket batteries from Amazon. YMMV.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
If the YTZ is Yuasa's best technology, then I'm not impressed. The OE Yuasa on my CB only lasted four years and it was nursed on a Battery Tender when not ridden. On other bikes, I've gone 7-8 years on so-called "cheap" aftermarket batteries from Amazon. YMMV.
I'm in agreement. These newer factory-sealed YTZ batteries from Yuasa may not last as long as batteries that you fill yourself. I had to replace one on another bike after 4 years that, like yours, was on a battery tender all the time.
Although I know you probably mean the batteries that have acid packs that you seal off, I remember even old style batteries with separate fill caps often lasted 6+ years.
 
4 years is about average around here. We have 13 members of the family that ride and I can't remember anyone getting more than 5 years out of a battery, car or motorcycle. I keep mine on a tender whenever I'm not riding and 4 years is about it for me.
 
My 2 cars, one 11th year and still OK (long distance commute= 52 km each way) but before winter may??? need replacement.
The 2nd one, was 11 years old, more frequent start ups and shorter distances, already replaced.

CB; I removed OEM from 2013 and put in to 2014...and for the new owner of my 2013, I bought new one, so my 2014 CB battery is now 4-5 yrs old. In winter, I only charge it during weekends .
 
Yuasa quality seems to be lacking - After my second one died after only two years, I bit the bullet and went with Shorai lithium ion in the CB and B-King.

A little pricey (had to by the Shorai charger too) but they seem to have the best product.
 
FWIW I've been using Yuasa batteries for 25 years and have always had good service and longevity from them.
It's not uncommon for me to get 6-7-8 years out of them.
The longevity could possibly be related to the fact that we don't get super high temperatures up here (which is deadly on batteries) and the batteries are in storage over our long winter - November to April for me.
 
My OEM made it 5 years FWIW. No battery tender, not since I've owned it at least. Replaced with another OEM (which I got for like $130 on Rocky Mountain I believe).
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Roper_imp said:
I replaced my battery last year with a much lighter lithium ion battery. No worries so far.
which one specifically, and what was the weight savings? (i'm sorry if you made a thread about it).
which one specifically, and what was the weight savings? (i'm sorry if you made a thread about it).
Without going and pulling it out to look for the exact model number: It was a Fire Power featherweight lithium ion. Length and width was the same as OEM, but it wasn't as tall. Cables still attached but one was a little tight, IIRC. I think the weight was about 2.5 lbs, and the Yuasa is 8.6 lbs. I got mine through Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. The right battery will come up in your search if you put in year, make, and model. I remember it being about $120.
 
Roper_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Roper_imp said:
I replaced my battery last year with a much lighter lithium ion battery. No worries so far.
which one specifically, and what was the weight savings? (i'm sorry if you made a thread about it).
which one specifically, and what was the weight savings? (i'm sorry if you made a thread about it).
Without going and pulling it out to look for the exact model number: It was a Fire Power featherweight lithium ion. Length and width was the same as OEM, but it wasn't as tall. Cables still attached but one was a little tight, IIRC. I think the weight was about 2.5 lbs, and the Yuasa is 8.6 lbs. I got mine through Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. The right battery will come up in your search if you put in year, make, and model. I remember it being about $120.
which one specifically, and what was the weight savings? (i'm sorry if you made a thread about it).
Without going and pulling it out to look for the exact model number: It was a Fire Power featherweight lithium ion. Length and width was the same as OEM, but it wasn't as tall. Cables still attached but one was a little tight, IIRC. I think the weight was about 2.5 lbs, and the Yuasa is 8.6 lbs. I got mine through Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. The right battery will come up in your search if you put in year, make, and model. I remember it being about $120.
You could always put some foam underneath the batterie if not tall enough.
 
Thread starter
I guess my point here is that the OEM battery likely has more lead plates which makes it theoretically better. The lighter (not the lithium-ion) batteries may fit and work under most conditions, but they have not been time tested.
 
BatteryStuff.com outstanding company out of Grants Pass, OR
Been buying batteries from them for over 10 years and they provide a great product and service. Bought a lot of batteries from them because down in AZ you're lucky to get 3 years out of ANY battery due to the heat. I usually go for their mid-priced option, as according to them it's comes off the YUSA product line, and is made in Japan vs. China.
 
My original battery finally quit on me earlier this year (after 5 years). I can't even recall what brand I replaced it with, but I do recall that like the battery pekingduck purchased, the cold cranking amps were rated much lower than the OEM Yuasa unit. However, the local independent battery supplier where I bought the replacement battery said that you can't always go by the manufacturers ratings. They tested the replacement I bought at over 200 CCAs. Only time will tell how things will work out.
 
Interceptor Pilot_imp said:
BatteryStuff.com outstanding company out of Grants Pass, OR
Been buying batteries from them for over 10 years and they provide a great product and service. Bought a lot of batteries from them because down in AZ you're lucky to get 3 years out of ANY battery due to the heat. I usually go for their mid-priced option, as according to them it's comes off the YUSA product line, and is made in Japan vs. China.
Unless I missed it, they don’t list a battery for the CB1100.
 
Back
Top