Basic Maintenance: Daily Check

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
I suspect many people on the Forum share the exhilaration I feel when I fire up the CB1100 at the start of the day. The gentle, balance pulse of the engine, the throaty exhaust note, and the feel of my hands on the throttle and clutch assure me that at least the minutes or hours spent on the CB1100 will be spectacular regardless of what else lies ahead for the balance of the day.

But any time I ride, there are risks to me and the motorcycle. To help medicate those, I have a adopted a pre-ride ritual that has almost become muscle memory. It enables me to ensure that I am mentally and physically ready to ride, that my protective riding gear will protect me from harm, and that the motorcycle is safe to ride. It takes me approximately 20 minutes, start to finish.

A case can be made that it is a little over the top bordering on excessive, but I am who I am.

I am not a role model for anything, but I do hope there is something you find here that will help you find your own routine. You have friends and family who love you, and you ride a great motorcycle. If you do not want to do it for yourself, perhaps you can do it for them. :)

Step 1: Wellness Assessment (5 minutes)— Before I ride, I gauge my spiritual, mental, and physical health. I am a devout Catholic, and I pray each day. I want to be in a state of grace for whatever lies ahead. Mentally, I do not ride if I am unduly stressed, agitated, or angry. Those states affect my judgment and can impact how I ride. Finally, I assess my physical well being. I will not ride if I have had less than six hours sleep the night before. I check my blood pressure daily. If it is not in an acceptable range, I do not ride. If I injured myself or if I am physically ill, I do not ride. I find riding a motorcycle requires tremendous situational awareness, coordination, dexterity, and strength. If any of those are compromised, I ride another day.

Step 2: Motorcycle Inspection (5 minutes)—Things can happen when we ride our motorcycles which we may not be aware of while driving 70 miles per hour. For me, I want the peace of mind that comes with knowing that nothing happened on the last ride which could impact the next one. I also like the daily ritual of it all. Before I ride, I focus primarily on chains, tires, and brakes. This task is made easier because when I parked the motorcycle the previous day, I placed it on the center stand. For the daily inspection, I spin the rear tire while focusing intently on the chain and sprocket. I look for a any debris that may have lodged between the chain and sprocket. I also look to ensure there is no kink or damage to the chain or sprocket. (I do not check the tension of the chain because I check it on a regular basis, which I will document later). After I confirm I have a nice, smooth turn of the rear wheel, I clean the rotors and look closely at them. Like the chain, I am looking for damage or unusual wear. Finally, I check the tires and tire pressures to make they look good and have adequate pressure.

I have Bridgestones BT46 on the motorcycle: Front—110/90-18M/C ; Rear—140/70-18M/C. I have left the rims in their OEM setup and use tubes. I run with 36 PSI in the front tire and 42 PSI in the rear (thanks to the Forum for the guidance). The ride is smooth and the handling crisp. Inspection and cleaning pictures follow. Note the staring area where the supplies are readily available:

0e380a88cebc786c804482c21b4bc6ef.jpeg


fd6a618c4ccdd8742e7c1084a7a4b2c1.jpeg


f5ffa27d8491288d5a9e7a16114d9d08.jpeg


a4b1fc0bf44ce9a266dd06cfc1a7b84c.jpeg


6c4e1d9153334aa03b4da9a728e88265.jpeg


065dc8817d48bb27064670a34ed61880.jpeg


Step 3: Protective Gear Inspection (10 minutes)—Before I shower, I “stage” my gear and also check the weather. I will ride in the rain and cold, but I make sure I am appropriately attired. I do avoid high winds, ice, and hail.

We are exposed to the elements on a motorcycle when we ride. It is part of the allure. However, if we are cold, wet, heat exhausted, or in general miserable, mistakes can happen. I have found the right gear can make Mother Nature a little less cruel.

76fc5d41edb6baf9c4b74a94283c167f.jpeg


cace39b699684562cc2c6acc58c9a570.jpeg



I inspect my protective gear: helmet, ear plugs, base layers, shirts, airbag vest, motorcycle jacks, motorcycle jeans, gloves, socks, and motorcycle boots. I have leveraged advances in technology to improve safety and comfort. My helmet has a comm system which links to my iPhone. The jacket and jeans are made of abrasive resistant material and also have body armour which is lightweight, flexible, and incredibly effective despite what Brother Ryan from Fortnite may believe. They are also comfortable to wear. The airbag vest is perhaps the single greatest advancement in safety since the introduction of the helmet and motorcycle boots. Proper motorcycle gloves protect my hands from my natural inclination to reach out if I were to fall. I check everything as I am putting it on. Here is my sequence:

1. Ear Protection: I insert ear plugs and make sure they are snug and comfortable. I place the ear plug tether aground my neck.

2. Torso Comfort: I put my base layer or shirt on next. I make sure I do not dislodge the ear plugs. I check the pockets to make sure there is nothing in them which could stab me in the event of a fall. After I put on the base layer / shirt, I make sure I have range of motion.

3. Leg Protection: I inspect my motorcycle jeans. I make sure I have not removed the armour in the hips and knees. I check the pockets to make sure there is nothing in them which could stab me in the event of a fall. I put on the motorcycle jeans and make sure they are loose enough that I can mount the motorcycle but tight enough to keep the protective armour in place.

4. Angle & Foot Protection: I inspect my motorcycle boots. I check and make sure the socks I have selected are Merino Wool and can protect my feet from blistering. I check my boots to make sure there are no tears and that the laces are in tact. I put both on and make sure they are tight but not biding.

5. Torso Protection: I put on my airbag vest. I check the lights to ensure that it has initialized successfully. I use the App on my iPhone to connect. I check the power level and firmware. The airbag vest will only work if it has power. If it passes the review, I ride. If I forgot to charge it, I connect the charger and ride another day. I put on my motorcycle jacket next. I make sure it is zipped properly and fits well. I also check range of motion.

6. Head Protection: I inspect my helmet and make sure all of the pads are secure and there is no debris inside the helmet. I turn the Comm Unit and make sure it initializes properly. I also connect to it with my phone to make sure it has been charged. Like the airbag vest, the Comm Unit depends on power.

f49de53eb40ac8ece54928bec620cca8.jpeg


a814a94275cc7c72ffa5032a81bc7707.png


39e0c2328610a21607aaad04fe69db60.jpeg


8ad1cc952213c60200fe1b4732a8c750.png


Step 4: Ready to Ride Inspection (1 minute): When I fire up the CB1100, I check the switches to make sure they are fully operational and the mirrors to make sure they provide good line of sight. Then, I ride!

21fca870994174984f05d580b4be512f.jpeg


I hope something in this Thread servers you well. If you have suggestions or corrections, please reply. As always, I remain a humble man. Let’s see if I have earned more respect than scorn with this lengthy thread. Enjoy your day and ride safely. David
 
That's a very thorough routine! Thanks for sharing. You run your tire pressure lower than I do, I'm wondering what other riders use for their tire pressures.
 
Dave I run 38 front, 40 rear, checked every week or so.

Good night that is a thorough pre-ride equipment check.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the feedback on tire pressure, gentlemen. The shop which installed the Bridgestones recommended that pressure. Would you recommend I use the pressure you run with? I have more faith in you than a kid who may not even work in the shop anymore. :)
 
Honda specs 36# front 42# rear. I always ride solo so I drop the rear pressure 2# to make the ride a little softer and I bump the front pressure 2# which I believe helps with handling/braking and preventing cupping on the front

However recommendations are just that. You can certainly play with tire pressures to see what suits you. Pick a favorite road and ride up it at the recommended pressure, Then, drop or add a couple of pounds on your next run. Then when you find pressures you like, always use the same gauge to measure them.

I have buddies that run 34-40 and others that run 42-42. Try some different pressures and see which one's you like.

and remember your pressures are only as accurate as your tire gauge. You may think you are running 36/40 but you maybe be running 34/38 if your gauge is off by 2# (which is quite common).

and being off by a couple of pounds is not earth shattering. Tire pressures are not cast in stone.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Honda specs 36# front 42# rear. I always ride solo so I drop the rear pressure 2# to make the ride a little softer and I bump the front pressure 2# which I believe helps with handling/braking and preventing cupping on the front

However recommendations are just that. You can certainly play with tire pressures to see what suits you. Pick a favorite road and ride up it at the recommended pressure, Then, drop or add a couple of pounds on your next run. Then when you find pressures you like, always use the same gauge to measure them.

I have buddies that run 34-40 and others that run 42-42. Try some different pressures and see which one's you like.

and remember your pressures are only as accurate as your tire gauge. You may think you are running 36/40 but you maybe be running 34/38 if your gauge is off by 2# (which is quite common).

and being off by a couple of pounds is not earth shattering. Tire pressures are not cast in stone.
Copy that. I like the ride as is, but I might like it even better with some experimentation just like you lined out. Thanks, Ferret.
 
Wow. Very impressive. You would be the perfect person to buy a second hand motorcycle from!
 
Always remember, when you buy that beautiful used motorcycle, be sure to check the tire pressure BEFORE you ride it home. The only bike I dropped on the way home from the purchase had only 15lbs in the front tire when I checked after arriving at home. I don't know if it caused me to drop the bike while sitting at a stop sign, but I'm sure it didn't help. :biker:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Honda specs 36# front 42# rear. I always ride solo so I drop the rear pressure 2# to make the ride a little softer and I bump the front pressure 2# which I believe helps with handling/braking and preventing cupping on the front

However recommendations are just that. You can certainly play with tire pressures to see what suits you. Pick a favorite road and ride up it at the recommended pressure, Then, drop or add a couple of pounds on your next run. Then when you find pressures you like, always use the same gauge to measure them.

I have buddies that run 34-40 and others that run 42-42. Try some different pressures and see which one's you like.

and remember your pressures are only as accurate as your tire gauge. You may think you are running 36/40 but you maybe be running 34/38 if your gauge is off by 2# (which is quite common).

and being off by a couple of pounds is not earth shattering. Tire pressures are not cast in stone.
I run +2 psi on both. I do notice less cupping on the front at 38 psi, and 44 psi in the rear seems to work better for my weight.
 
Thread starter
spechg_imp said:
Wow. Very impressive. You would be the perfect person to buy a second hand motorcycle from!
Thanks for the kind words. I have a caretaker attitude toward motorcycles and feel a connection to all motorcyclists. I would like to believe no one has ever regretted moving down the road with a former motorcycle I owned.Take care.
 
Your checklists Rdprdp01 are very close to what is professionally used in these parts.

I am a ROSPA-IART* Group Tutor here in Ireland (along with many others) and run motorcycle training sessions for "associates". It is a registered charity and annual membership is €25 for associates (~$26 US) and all training is free. There are monthly group rides and quarterly meetings/presentations but the majority of the training is direct and on the road either one to one or one to a few.

It is very popular with returning motorcyclists who took a break from motorcycles whilst raising a family. Training is based on the superb UK Motorcycle Roadcraft - The Police Riders Handbook. I went through this training about 9 years ago as a returning rider and it taught me a good few things even though I thought I was an excellent rider :D

These checklists are the very basic foundation before any ride and form part of the examination which is conducted by an outside tester.

Machine Checklist - POWDDERSS
Petrol - enough for the planned journey?
Oil - engine and brake/clutch
Water (if watercooled)
Damage - general bike damage
Drive - shaft or chain condition
Electrics - does everything work
Rubber - tyres but all other rubber, e.g. grips, footrests
Steering - free movement, no snags, no change in engine revs
Suspension - working smoothly, no leaks

Human Checklist - I AM SAFE
Illness - will any illness affect my riding?
Attitude - How do I feel about the journey, am I focussed?
Medication - on any meds that would affect my riding or judgement?
Sleep - am I suffering from lack of sleep?
Alcohol - have I had any drink, am I impaired buy alcohol?
Food - am I hungry or thirsty? Could low blood sugar or dehydration affect me?
Emotion - Am I in the right state of mind to ride, e.g. depressed, angry, stressed.

Now as a Tutor, I often catch out associates on a training session. While doing a POWDDERSS check I will often see worn out brake pads, a screw in a tyre, weeping suspension or other defects they were totally oblivious to. I have actually picked up two screws in my own bikes tyres doing a pre-ride POWDDERSS.


*Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents - Irish Advanced Rider Training

 
Guys, thanks for all the feedback on the tire pressures. This reaffirms my faith that this forum is still alive and well!
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
Your checklists Rdprdp01 are very close to what is professionally used in these parts.

I am a ROSPA-IART* Group Tutor here in Ireland (along with many others) and run motorcycle training sessions for "associates". It is a registered charity and annual membership is €25 for associates (~$26 US) and all training is free. There are monthly group rides and quarterly meetings/presentations but the majority of the training is direct and on the road either one to one or one to a few.

It is very popular with returning motorcyclists who took a break from motorcycles whilst raising a family. Training is based on the superb UK Motorcycle Roadcraft - The Police Riders Handbook. I went through this training about 9 years ago as a returning rider and it taught me a good few things even though I thought I was an excellent rider :D

These checklists are the very basic foundation before any ride and form part of the examination which is conducted by an outside tester.

Machine Checklist - POWDDERSS
Petrol - enough for the planned journey?
Oil - engine and brake/clutch
Water (if watercooled)
Damage - general bike damage
Drive - shaft or chain condition
Electrics - does everything work
Rubber - tyres but all other rubber, e.g. grips, footrests
Steering - free movement, no snags, no change in engine revs
Suspension - working smoothly, no leaks

Human Checklist - I AM SAFE
Illness - will any illness affect my riding?
Attitude - How do I feel about the journey, am I focussed?
Medication - on any meds that would affect my riding or judgement?
Sleep - am I suffering from lack of sleep?
Alcohol - have I had any drink, am I impaired buy alcohol?
Food - am I hungry or thirsty? Could low blood sugar or dehydration affect me?
Emotion - Am I in the right state of mind to ride, e.g. depressed, angry, stressed.

Now as a Tutor, I often catch out associates on a training session. While doing a POWDDERSS check I will often see worn out brake pads, a screw in a tyre, weeping suspension or other defects they were totally oblivious to. I have actually picked up two screws in my own bikes tyres doing a pre-ride POWDDERSS.


*Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents - Irish Advanced Rider Training
Tev62, I follow your posts. They are always engaging and usually have some humor weaved in for good measure. They are great.

Thanks for sharing the ROSPA-IART pre-ride checklist.

I have been relying on my butt to confirm the shocks are right, but I believe I will add a visual scan per your list. That is a great addition! :)

I check the oil every time I fill up with gasoline because the engine is warm when I pull up to the pump. So far, I have not leaked or burned a drop of oil. I doubt it ever will, but I check none-the-less.

Finally, I learn you donate your time to help returning riders. What a truly noble thing to do. I would love to attend a class. I am sure I would come out a better rider for the experience. My father’s people immigrated from Ireland. For all my travels, I have never set foot on the Emerald Isle. I think it may be time for me to come home and go to school.

Thank you for sharing information about your tutoring exploits. It is inspiring. David
 
Tev62_imp said:
Your checklists Rdprdp01 are very close to what is professionally used in these parts.

I am a ROSPA-IART* Group Tutor here in Ireland (along with many others) and run motorcycle training sessions for "associates". It is a registered charity and annual membership is €25 for associates (~$26 US) and all training is free. There are monthly group rides and quarterly meetings/presentations but the majority of the training is direct and on the road either one to one or one to a few.

It is very popular with returning motorcyclists who took a break from motorcycles whilst raising a family. Training is based on the superb UK Motorcycle Roadcraft - The Police Riders Handbook. I went through this training about 9 years ago as a returning rider and it taught me a good few things even though I thought I was an excellent rider :D

These checklists are the very basic foundation before any ride and form part of the examination which is conducted by an outside tester.

Machine Checklist - POWDDERSS
Petrol - enough for the planned journey?
Oil - engine and brake/clutch
Water (if watercooled)
Damage - general bike damage
Drive - shaft or chain condition
Electrics - does everything work
Rubber - tyres but all other rubber, e.g. grips, footrests
Steering - free movement, no snags, no change in engine revs
Suspension - working smoothly, no leaks

Human Checklist - I AM SAFE
Illness - will any illness affect my riding?
Attitude - How do I feel about the journey, am I focussed?
Medication - on any meds that would affect my riding or judgement?
Sleep - am I suffering from lack of sleep?
Alcohol - have I had any drink, am I impaired buy alcohol?
Food - am I hungry or thirsty? Could low blood sugar or dehydration affect me?
Emotion - Am I in the right state of mind to ride, e.g. depressed, angry, stressed.

Now as a Tutor, I often catch out associates on a training session. While doing a POWDDERSS check I will often see worn out brake pads, a screw in a tyre, weeping suspension or other defects they were totally oblivious to. I have actually picked up two screws in my own bikes tyres doing a pre-ride POWDDERSS.


*Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents - Irish Advanced Rider Training
I think my mind subconsciously put a question mark between "impaired" and "buy".
 
Whoops_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Your checklists Rdprdp01 are very close to what is professionally used in these parts.

I am a ROSPA-IART* Group Tutor here in Ireland (along with many others) and run motorcycle training sessions for "associates". It is a registered charity and annual membership is €25 for associates (~$26 US) and all training is free. There are monthly group rides and quarterly meetings/presentations but the majority of the training is direct and on the road either one to one or one to a few.

It is very popular with returning motorcyclists who took a break from motorcycles whilst raising a family. Training is based on the superb UK Motorcycle Roadcraft - The Police Riders Handbook. I went through this training about 9 years ago as a returning rider and it taught me a good few things even though I thought I was an excellent rider :D

These checklists are the very basic foundation before any ride and form part of the examination which is conducted by an outside tester.

Machine Checklist - POWDDERSS
Petrol - enough for the planned journey?
Oil - engine and brake/clutch
Water (if watercooled)
Damage - general bike damage
Drive - shaft or chain condition
Electrics - does everything work
Rubber - tyres but all other rubber, e.g. grips, footrests
Steering - free movement, no snags, no change in engine revs
Suspension - working smoothly, no leaks

Human Checklist - I AM SAFE
Illness - will any illness affect my riding?
Attitude - How do I feel about the journey, am I focussed?
Medication - on any meds that would affect my riding or judgement?
Sleep - am I suffering from lack of sleep?
Alcohol - have I had any drink, am I impaired buy alcohol?
Food - am I hungry or thirsty? Could low blood sugar or dehydration affect me?
Emotion - Am I in the right state of mind to ride, e.g. depressed, angry, stressed.

Now as a Tutor, I often catch out associates on a training session. While doing a POWDDERSS check I will often see worn out brake pads, a screw in a tyre, weeping suspension or other defects they were totally oblivious to. I have actually picked up two screws in my own bikes tyres doing a pre-ride POWDDERSS.


*Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents - Irish Advanced Rider Training
I think my mind subconsciously put a question mark between "impaired" and "buy".
I think my mind subconsciously put a question mark between "impaired" and "buy".

Know what got me to cut down on drinking?

Am I impaired, buy new Mustang. Wake up next morning and see it in your driveway.
 
Back
Top