Bags

zippooriginal_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I want to get saddle and tail bags for long distance touring.
Tell me what has worked well for you. Oh and I'd like to go with
soft (nylon) bags Thanks.
 
It will depend on if you are willing to relocate your turn signals. The factory location limits the size of the bag that fits.
I used an Emgo top box ($70) and Cortech saddle bags on a 4000 mile trip. I did have to relocate the turn signals to run them.
6639e27edc277b9689fd9523dab10316.jpg

I switched to the police style hard bags last year though.
700ed07820e943bbbad10be05ceea918.jpg
 
I use Tourmaster and Cortech stuff. I believe these are the Tourmaster elite saddlebags (no turn signal relocation necessary) and tank bag with a Cortech tail pack.

d4ac42db45c8dee3afda24aa6d2604fa.jpg


I also sometimes use a larger Nelson Rigg tail pack

1ed954452518979d6f16d460347cb408.jpg


The saddlebags are pretty small, but from years of touring I know how to pack small so it's not an obstacle for me. All of this easily fits in my saddlebags and is good for a week or more of touring.

cc67fc10b66c26c7c175d65d45bbe0b4.jpg


d8c668b6cff74ac0c9cb031dd7adcf2d.jpg
 
Check out Ventura pack rack & 51 liter bag--you can fit two on one rack for 102 liters of storage (but no passenger with 2).
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I use Tourmaster and Cortech stuff. I believe these are the Tourmaster elite saddlebags (no turn signal relocation necessary) and tank bag with a Cortech tail pack.

d4ac42db45c8dee3afda24aa6d2604fa.jpg


I also sometimes use a larger Nelson Rigg tail pack

1ed954452518979d6f16d460347cb408.jpg


The saddlebags are pretty small, but from years of touring I know how to pack small so it's not an obstacle for me. All of this easily fits in my saddlebags and is good for a week or more of touring.

cc67fc10b66c26c7c175d65d45bbe0b4.jpg


d8c668b6cff74ac0c9cb031dd7adcf2d.jpg
I really thank you for your reply and input
It is really going to help me with what I decide to do
about bags.
I already spent $170 on a set of saddlebags However they are
just NOT going to suit my bike and needs. Regardless of the cost I
just want to get whatever will suit my needs and purpose. The Tourmaster bags and tail bag really look to be the perfect answer.
 
I got the saddle bag stays/turn signal relocators from Samurider and use some Nelson Rigg saddlebags with a First Gear expandable tank bag. Worked for a week long camping trip. I'll see if I can get some pics posted.
 
Ogio saddlebags, tail and tank bag. I packed for 5 days in that setup.
The ferret_imp said:
I use Tourmaster and Cortech stuff. I believe these are the Tourmaster elite saddlebags (no turn signal relocation necessary) and tank bag with a Cortech tail pack.

d4ac42db45c8dee3afda24aa6d2604fa.jpg


I also sometimes use a larger Nelson Rigg tail pack

1ed954452518979d6f16d460347cb408.jpg


The saddlebags are pretty small, but from years of touring I know how to pack small so it's not an obstacle for me. All of this easily fits in my saddlebags and is good for a week or more of touring.

cc67fc10b66c26c7c175d65d45bbe0b4.jpg


d8c668b6cff74ac0c9cb031dd7adcf2d.jpg
:huh: Mickey, THAT'S A LOT OF MEDS:exclamation::exclamation:
 
Yea it's a bummer, but since having gout and a kidney stone, I now have to carry meds for them on every trip, even though I have never had to take them while traveling. Just something my doc tells me to pack. The only meds I actually take are a pill a day for borderline high bp and a cholesterol pill. Not too bad for an 67 year old guy I'm told.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yea it's a bummer, but since having gout and a kidney stone, I now have to carry meds for them on every trip, even though I have never had to take them while traveling. Just something my doc tells me to pack. The only meds I actually take are a pill a day for borderline high bp and a cholesterol pill. Not too bad for an 67 year old guy I'm told.
You don't look a day older than 65... :D
 
;) thanks buddy and don't feel a day over 85 most mornings lol
 
+1 on Cortech tail bag and saddle bags (I have the sport bags). No turn signal relocation necessary. They all expand and will really hold a lot more than one would think. Especially if packed correctly. You can find them on ebay used for a very decent price. I think I spent $200ish for the whole set up.
 
Cortech makes good stuff, I used it for many years.
I picked up a waterproof mod size and Ron-strap that on my luggage rack and seat. Simple, effective, ugly as sin.
 
I had soft bags on my first bike and have hard cases that came with my CB1100. (A big part of the reason I bought the bike in the US, vs Canada was the $$$$ in accessories) In comparing my day to day experiences with hard vs soft, including water resistance and security I would go with hard cases all day long. I have 120L of storage on my CB between my 3 cases and they come on and off in seconds.

I really like the idea of the cortech blaze system because when you take the bags off it looks really clean, the hardware is near invisible and you have a really clean look, however I wouldn't switch from my Hepco and Becker side cases to those to eliminate the hardware showing when the bags are off.
 
The hard bags and trunk on my ST become storage facilities for a lot of junk I seldom use lol, but it is a touring bike so bags are a necessary evil on it.

My CB gets used for touring as well, but touring is not it's primary mission. Once or twice a year I throw on the soft bags, tail bag, and tank bag and head someplace, but the other 50 weeks I don't want to be encumbered by hard bags and trunk while riding the curvy back roads that are the CB's natural calling.
 
Back
Top