jdgrego1_imp
First service completed
Thread starter
I haven't been riding much (or posting on the forum much) -recently I went to start my 2014 deluxe and it wouldn't crank- charged the battery, then it cranked but didn't start- I checked the gas and it smelled like varnish (dang-it!) - so I syphoned it out- put some fresh gas in there (1/4 gallon maybe) swished the gas around and syphoned it out as well - then put stabilizer in and a couple fresh gallons of gas- still didn't start - then I realized that I was not hearing the whine of the fuel pump (FP)- this was happening intermittently in the past- where I would have to rock the kill switch a couple times to get the FP to whine indicating it was on and working - I figured at the time it was an intermittant switch and I would replace it when it went full blown bad---- so I trouble shot the system and verified fuses, relays and kill switch (note- the initial indication was a bad FP per the manual) but since they cost an arm and a leg - I verified everything else in hopes I could find a more cost effective repair- no luck- all else checked good- so apparently it was the FP all along and not the switch- my question to the group- has anyone else had a FP go bad? I have about 5500 miles on the bike- like I said I haven't been riding it much lately- is it possible the bad gas caused it to go bad? I wouldn't think so but hey - stranger things have happened - and for the real question - whats the best way to ensure my stale gas is completely out? do I need to add anything like this product to ensure there is no rust or other gunk in the tank?
or is fresh gas and stabilizer / octane boost good enough? also- whats the difference in buying a FP assembly and a 'fuel filter', I know I need the pump, but does the filter come with a new pump assembly? Should I buy the filter if it doesn't come with the pump? or can the existing one be cleaned (and how) and finally - any ideas where to get a new fuel pump other than the dealer- or is that the best place? sorry for the long winded post- any help / suggestions are greatly appreciated-
- yes I could hear, and feel the relay clicking when hitting the kill switch- I also removed them both and swapped them, and even checked the resistance while they were out with 12v applied - they both work as expected - I did try the full open throttle - no help- the only think I didn't try was the brake cleaner in the air intake (wish I would have thought to do that) but to be sure, the manual indicates to remove the connector to the FP, and take a measurement (12v battery power) says it should be there a few seconds, if it stays on more than a few seconds it's a bad FP- that (and the fact I couldn't hear the FP turn on) was my initial 'oh-crap' moment - the rest was just to ensure I wasn't wasting money on a new FP if it was something stupid (like a fuse, relay, switch) anyhow- I just ordered the new ~600 FP a few minutes ago- I have the tank removed - thanks to the input from another gentleman on the forum, and next on my list (while I await the new part) is replacing tires - an oil change, and other cool and fun stuff- hopefully the FP fixes the issue- otherwise I'm gonna be depressed 
and yes I will remain happy -