Average CB1100 stubbornness level?

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Being above 50 years old myself, and reading posts on this forum for over a year, I have noticed many of our members seem to be fairly stubborn :-)
Most people post their idea, good or bad, right or wrong and stick with it, because that's how they've done it their entire life, so it must be right, an I'm not changing attitude.
So even though some topics cause much debate, on "any" forum, on this forum it's even more so.....but in a good way, could be less actual "debate" because very few of us over 50 are going to change our minds anyway :beerchug:
 
LOL you have a point.

You may notice I ask a lot of questions, because I will be the first to admit I don't know everything, or a whole lot really lol. I like learning, and I like hearing other peoples ideas, opinions and sides. I then do a lot of pondering. Especially when I'm out riding and think back to a discussion on here. Might not change my mind, but I do like hearing the other side.

One of the things I've always told my kids.. there are people that know more than you, and there are people that know less than you..so you can always learn and you can always teach.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Being above 50 years old myself, and reading posts on this forum for over a year, I have noticed many of our members seem to be fairly stubborn :-)
Most people post their idea, good or bad, right or wrong and stick with it, because that's how they've done it their entire life, so it must be right, an I'm not changing attitude.
So even though some topics cause much debate, on "any" forum, on this forum it's even more so.....but in a good way, could be less actual "debate" because very few of us over 50 are going to change our minds anyway :beerchug:
The up side is that many are getting closer to senility, and will soon forget that they every had an opinion.
 
The funny thing, many of our opinions are based on old machines and were quite valid. Today, much of that experience to form those opinions simply does not apply. E.g. you can't tickle an EFI, you can't just off the fuel valve, no sticky floats to tap loose and very very few kick start bikes left (SR-400 is the only street/civilian bike that I know of, the balance being dirt bikes (and Ural has a back up kick start but do you call it a dual sport or street bike? :angel: )

The bike world has moved on, many of us are still sniffing the fumes of its' passing.
 
PLEASE.PLEASE. Don't get the BMW crowd wound up. You want unfounded opinions ? Ask a BMW rider. I actually had one telling me how much better my 2001 K1200RS was over the older model " Now that BMW finally has the center of gravity correct " I couldn't read an entire club magazine without wanting to gouge my eyes out.
I like this Forum. Fun. Good people. GREAT BIKE ! Rocket
 
rocket_imp said:
PLEASE.PLEASE. Don't get the BMW crowd wound up. You want unfounded opinions ? Ask a BMW rider. I actually had one telling me how much better my 2001 K1200RS was over the older model " Now that BMW finally has the center of gravity correct " I couldn't read an entire club magazine without wanting to gouge my eyes out.
I like this Forum. Fun. Good people. GREAT BIKE ! Rocket
LOL ! That's what I'm talking about! If you ever want to see just how wrong you've been doing things all your life, just state something on one of their forums!

(In fairness, there are a lot of good folks there, but quite a few know it alls will also make their presence known, whether you want them to or not)
 
Houtman_imp said:
I am not stubborn, I am just always right ....
Unless you are arguing with ME. :P :rofl: :excited: :worship:
 
gossman_imp said:
I like hamburgers
With, or without, cheese and bacon? If you are not eating them with cheese and bacon then you are doing it all wrong, and can't possibly be enjoying them the way you think you are! :P
Rboe_imp said:
The funny thing, many of our opinions are based on old machines and were quite valid. Today, much of that experience to form those opinions simply does not apply. E.g. you can't tickle an EFI, you can't just off the fuel valve, no sticky floats to tap loose and very very few kick start bikes left (SR-400 is the only street/civilian bike that I know of, the balance being dirt bikes (and Ural has a back up kick start but do you call it a dual sport or street bike? :angel: )

The bike world has moved on, many of us are still sniffing the fumes of its' passing.
It is exactly the same with computers. I started programming back in the days of punch cards, before PC's even existed. Remember so well the day I got my first 10 meg hard drive, and it seemed huge! In those early days, if you even hiccuped too close to your computer, you would crash a drive. Now, I see people running around the office with their laptops open and running, banging them down on a conference room table, etc. and I still cringe! Now, I have terabytes of hard drive space, but I still clean off old files and programs like it was my tiny little 10 meg drive. Critical habits, formed around the old ways, are difficult to let go of.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
gossman_imp said:
I like hamburgers
With, or without, cheese and bacon? If you are not eating them with cheese and bacon then you are doing it all wrong, and can't possibly be enjoying them the way you think you are! :P
Rboe_imp said:
The funny thing, many of our opinions are based on old machines and were quite valid. Today, much of that experience to form those opinions simply does not apply. E.g. you can't tickle an EFI, you can't just off the fuel valve, no sticky floats to tap loose and very very few kick start bikes left (SR-400 is the only street/civilian bike that I know of, the balance being dirt bikes (and Ural has a back up kick start but do you call it a dual sport or street bike? :angel: )

The bike world has moved on, many of us are still sniffing the fumes of its' passing.
It is exactly the same with computers. I started programming back in the days of punch cards, before PC's even existed. Remember so well the day I got my first 10 meg hard drive, and it seemed huge! In those early days, if you even hiccuped too close to your computer, you would crash a drive. Now, I see people running around the office with their laptops open and running, banging them down on a conference room table, etc. and I still cringe! Now, I have terabytes of hard drive space, but I still clean off old files and programs like it was my tiny little 10 meg drive. Critical habits, formed around the old ways, are difficult to let go of.
With, or without, cheese and bacon? If you are not eating them with cheese and bacon then you are doing it all wrong, and can't possibly be enjoying them the way you think you are! :P
Rboe_imp said:
The funny thing, many of our opinions are based on old machines and were quite valid. Today, much of that experience to form those opinions simply does not apply. E.g. you can't tickle an EFI, you can't just off the fuel valve, no sticky floats to tap loose and very very few kick start bikes left (SR-400 is the only street/civilian bike that I know of, the balance being dirt bikes (and Ural has a back up kick start but do you call it a dual sport or street bike? :angel: )

The bike world has moved on, many of us are still sniffing the fumes of its' passing.
It is exactly the same with computers. I started programming back in the days of punch cards, before PC's even existed. Remember so well the day I got my first 10 meg hard drive, and it seemed huge! In those early days, if you even hiccuped too close to your computer, you would crash a drive. Now, I see people running around the office with their laptops open and running, banging them down on a conference room table, etc. and I still cringe! Now, I have terabytes of hard drive space, but I still clean off old files and programs like it was my tiny little 10 meg drive. Critical habits, formed around the old ways, are difficult to let go of.

I can't understand why people think I'm stubborn when I keep telling them I'm not.

Bring back the punched cards I say - kids today have never experienced the joy of debugging by shuffling the deck.....the diagonal felt tip line on your stack of cards that made it possible to get them in the right order if you dropped it...oh God I'm old....I just take comfort from the absolute fact that everything I do on the road is right, and everything everyone else does is...just wrong.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
gossman_imp said:
I like hamburgers
With, or without, cheese and bacon? If you are not eating them with cheese and bacon then you are doing it all wrong, and can't possibly be enjoying them the way you think you are! :P
Rboe_imp said:
The funny thing, many of our opinions are based on old machines and were quite valid. Today, much of that experience to form those opinions simply does not apply. E.g. you can't tickle an EFI, you can't just off the fuel valve, no sticky floats to tap loose and very very few kick start bikes left (SR-400 is the only street/civilian bike that I know of, the balance being dirt bikes (and Ural has a back up kick start but do you call it a dual sport or street bike? :angel: )

The bike world has moved on, many of us are still sniffing the fumes of its' passing.
It is exactly the same with computers. I started programming back in the days of punch cards, before PC's even existed. Remember so well the day I got my first 10 meg hard drive, and it seemed huge! In those early days, if you even hiccuped too close to your computer, you would crash a drive. Now, I see people running around the office with their laptops open and running, banging them down on a conference room table, etc. and I still cringe! Now, I have terabytes of hard drive space, but I still clean off old files and programs like it was my tiny little 10 meg drive. Critical habits, formed around the old ways, are difficult to let go of.
Funny you should mention that. I also started in the pre-PC era (B.C.?). I got my first bike to commute to my first job, which was operating a giant IBM mainframe. My tastes must have been frozen around that time because I still only ride UJMs and I still work on a huge IBM mainframe. Thankfully, the mainframe no longer uses punch cards and the UJM no longer uses points and carbs :P
 
09a8b6825830cda4632e70566a3ba333.jpg
 
Back
Top