Average CB1100 Rider Age

I bought mine at 50 this past year. I've been a Honda fan for many years. Built a chopper and a couple of cafes from Hondas.

I've also always been a sportbike fan. My last sportbike was a Buell which is the cat's you know what when it comes to cornering and riding fun. I still love sportbikes just don't like the riding position any longer. In my opinion, the CB is a good mix between sportbike and cruiser. It's light and powerful enough to have fun riding and cornering and also has a great riding position like a cruiser. Not to mention it looks cool as heck. :D
 
I bought a '14 DLX yesterday. I'm 50 years old. Started riding with a Puch moped at 13 years old, obtained my less than 100 cc TX motorcycle license at age 15 and bought a 1979 Honda XL100 the same year. After first year of college, bought a 1980 CX500 Custom used, and rode that for quite a few years.

Still wish I owned the CX500 Custom - freaking loved that bike.

Shortly after I married, I bought a black 750 Nighthawk, then kids came along and I sold that. So now, almost 20 years later, I bought the CB11. Pretty pumped to have another bike in the garage to ride to work when I want.

Trey in Houston
 
twiin640_imp said:
I bought mine at 50 this past year. I've been a Honda fan for many years. Built a chopper and a couple of cafes from Hondas.

I've also always been a sportbike fan. My last sportbike was a Buell which is the cat's you know what when it comes to cornering and riding fun. I still love sportbikes just don't like the riding position any longer. In my opinion, the CB is a good mix between sportbike and cruiser. It's light and powerful enough to have fun riding and cornering and also has a great riding position like a cruiser. Not to mention it looks cool as heck. :D
I'm early 60s ish.
The very first chopper, in the early 70s, I ever saw in person was a Honda 750 with step seat and long forks, small front wheel, ape hangers and a two foot high sissy bar, custom helmet with a top fin made of fiberglass. I think it was blue-purple. I saw it at Shaw AFB and he and another guy would bring their bikes into their barrack rooms and clean and even tear them down on weekends for repairs. The other one was a Suzuki water buffalo which means joining the service lets you see a lot of America all in one place. I also learn Brooklynese from an Italian guy from there, the first two weeks I could not understand him but by the sixth week I was fluent and he taught us how he stole hubcaps for spending money back home.

Yes, this was a "war story". Welcome to the pack here...word of advice, don't put rubber thingies on your downtubes or lever ends, in spite of what some miss-guided types might try and talk you into doing. It's like snipe hunting in your early days, don't go for it. Trust me.
 
I am 66 and picked up my CB11 on Feb 14, '15 a deluxe. Love it.
Been riding since age 26 - 27. My first bike was a '79 Honda 650.
This bike reminds me of that bike sooooooo much. Love it.
 
I've got a question for you peeps. How are you able to put someone else's reply in a separate box in your response? I see it done all the time but I haven't figured it out. I'm on a number of forums and usually I just cite the person's name when I respond but it would be cool to be able to include their reply in my post. Thanks in advance for info. :D
 
twiin640_imp said:
I've got a question for you peeps. How are you able to put someone else's reply in a separate box in your response? I see it done all the time but I haven't figured it out. I'm on a number of forums and usually I just cite the person's name when I respond but it would be cool to be able to include their reply in my post. Thanks in advance for info. :D
Twiin640, are using a web browser to read the forum? If so, either:

(a) select "Reply" below the post you want to quote and that will automatically quote it; or
(b) select the quotation marks next to "Reply" and you will be given an option to quote that post in your own.

I may be wrong, but I suspect the moderators will ask you to avoid quoting very long posts as it takes up a lot of space and makes reading more complicated.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to post some pictures.
 
Peeps? Lol

Being moderator mine is different, but on yours there should be several boxes below someones post. I believe you should have an edit box to click to fix your own reply. To quote someones post in your reply click on "quotation marks reply" in their post and then " New Reply" . To quote multiple posters the next box should have "quotation marks and a plus sign". You need to click on that for each person you want to quote in your reply, and the "New Reply". The last box will be "exclamation mark report"...and that sends an alert and a notice to me that you feel someones post or language or intent is out of line. I will then receive the notice with why you are reporting the post and I will check out the post you are reporting to see if it is really out of boundaries.

You must be one of the guys in the upper groups of the age survey, the lower groups all seemed to have been born with this knowledge lol
 
Chapomis, I'm afraid it would not be accurate as all 2013s were red in the US and anyone of any age would have been forced to buy a red one regardless of desired color.
 
treytexag_imp said:
I bought a '14 DLX yesterday. I'm 50 years old. Started riding with a Puch moped at 13 years old, obtained my less than 100 cc TX motorcycle license at age 15 and bought a 1979 Honda XL100 the same year. After first year of college, bought a 1980 CX500 Custom used, and rode that for quite a few years.

Still wish I owned the CX500 Custom - freaking loved that bike.

Shortly after I married, I bought a black 750 Nighthawk, then kids came along and I sold that. So now, almost 20 years later, I bought the CB11. Pretty pumped to have another bike in the garage to ride to work when I want.

Trey in Houston
Wow, I had the same experience. :thumbsup:

I'm 58, but got my MC License at 15 to ride my Honda CL100s (under 5 brake horsepower). I rode for one year, then got a car license and went to riding dirt bikes. Rode dirt bikes until married, sold them, raised kids, and 20 years later bought a well-used KLR when I turned 50. Rode the KLR for 8 years, then bought the CB1100.

Everytime I got my car license renewed, the DMV asked if I wanted to keep the MC license and I said yes even though I was not riding motorcycles anymore. I am so glad I did and so glad I got back into riding.

When the weather turns nicer, I'm gonna ride down to Galveston. Maybe all the Houston area CB'ers can get together.
 
twiin640_imp said:
I bought mine at 50 this past year. I've been a Honda fan for many years. Built a chopper and a couple of cafes from Hondas.

I've also always been a sportbike fan. My last sportbike was a Buell which is the cat's you know what when it comes to cornering and riding fun. I still love sportbikes just don't like the riding position any longer. In my opinion, the CB is a good mix between sportbike and cruiser. It's light and powerful enough to have fun riding and cornering and also has a great riding position like a cruiser. Not to mention it looks cool as heck. :D
I'm 52 , just picked up my 13 Std a few weeks ago. I too have a Buell (07XB12Stt) and the handling and braking are great, but the riding position is starting to put a toll on my joints, so I will be putting it up for sale in the spring.
 
Aschem, that was my problem with the VFR I had. Great bike - just didn't fit my body any more. Still wish I had it though.
 
I never had a CB750; but I learned to ride on UJBs. The Japanese makers were just starting to ape the Harley-style "cruisers" at that time; no one knew that the UJB was living on borrowed time and it would be between Harley lookalikes and sportbikes with little-grip handlebars, that have you crouched like you're ducking and covering for a Nuclear Civil Defense Alert.

My next-door neighbor and I both bought new bikes the same time, summer of 1986...I was a year at it at the time. I bought an SR 500, which I thought to be well-balanced visually. Naked bike. He bought a Virago...think it was a 650; a big bike in that era. Odd duck...a big V twin with towering jugs; but then a 90-degree bevel gear to a SHAFT; and then ANOTHER bevel gear to the REAR END. I remember reading how much lost energy carmakers were saving by eliminating differential gears and mounting small-car engines transversely. About eight HP the figure was, of the savings. And Yamaha, in its wisdom, just DOUBLED DOWN on that power loss.

Anyway. That marked basically the end of the UJB. Honda soldiered on with a modified version, the Nighthawk series...and a few others of tweaked styling...but the stepped seating putting the pillion passenger up there, was there to stay. And I guess from the POV of young ladies who are exclusive occupants of such a seat, it's a welcome change. But I, I liked the long banana-seat...slide back or forward to get comfy as needed.

I was intrigued by the Suzuki retro, the TU 250. Rode one; with my 250-lb weight, it won't go any faster than the high fifties. WIDE open. Smooth and light but no sale.

The Bonnevilles are nice; but there is NO way in Hades I am gonna buy a Limey machine. NOT. HAPPENING. I don't care if BMW owns the company, as they do with MINI...or if it's a brand-new plant. As with the Yugoslavians with their Yugo; as with the Chinese with their fast-fail scooters...today's British don't have a work ethic.

Yamaha has brought out the SR 400; which is a resurrection of the SR 500 of 35 years ago. I saw one and boy was I tempted; but it is useless to me, with my bulk, in my age, with my present needs.

And so, not even looking, I stumble on this. Holy Moley what a find!...and it's not SELLING?....

For the record: I'll be 57 this summer.
 
Triumph is not owned by BMW but by teal estate mogul John BLoor and modern Bonnies for at least the last couple of years or so have not been built in Britain, but rather in Thailand.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Triumph is not owned by BMW but by teal estate mogul John BLoor and modern Bonnies for at least the last couple of years or so have not been built in Britain, but rather in Thailand.
Oh, I know that. I was referring to how I'd duck MINI, even though BMW owns it. Or Triumph, even though it's not the Triumph of British Leyland anymore.

The attitudes of the workers; the social attitudes in the community in which the work is done...all color the type of quality that comes out. Which is one reason the quality of Detroit cars fell so greatly in the 1970s; and why the Japanese, heady with success in those days, became an armed industrial camp with seemingly-inhuman quality.
 
Back
Top