I came from a Chevy (mostly truck) rural family. Then my dad bought a little Honda generator that was quiet, started easily no matter how long we let it sit, and worked flawlessly. Then I got my first road bike in the 90's, a '79 CB650 with about 40,000 miles. I rode it to 60,000 with basic home maintenance. I was riding year-round in Portland, OR, which incidentally made that bike very happy -- she liked to be run, and fairly hard (she hated short shifting).
After that pleasant experience, I found a 190,000 mile Honda Accord in the paper and ran it until kids came along, then replaced it with an '06 Accord that now has ~100k. I love the car's "Maintenance Minder" light that alerts you to maintenance needs -- so far, I've never had to take it to the shop for service, because the maintenance is so simple I can do it at home (e.g., change oil, cabin filter, oil and air filters). I did visit Oil Can Henry's for the ATF change, but that was while I sat in the car reading the paper for a few minutes. Also, the VTEC and hydraulically adjusted valves in that Accord are pretty nice. I'm sold on Honda's, but it was that '79 CB650 what done it. It was a much nicer bike than my first bike, a Kawasaki KE125, that I'd had in my teen years. Although the KE125 2-stroke would be an ideal hipster bike these days! It could actually have been on Portlandia. Who am I kidding, they'd use a Yamaha DT.
I will say that the 1980's chain driven cam Interceptors didn't seem like a robust design and were a pain to try to get into. Thank God carbs are on their way out. Like points and breakers. Incidentally, that '79 CB650 had lovely, lovely, CDI ignition.