are all honda products this good

canyonwlf7_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I had a Honda Fury and it was great, but 2 much plastic on it for a cruiser imho
Loving the CB1100, just wondering if all the honda bikes are this good, or if honda put special attention on getting the CB right!
BTW, update on my Scrambler, put the stock 18 tooth front sprocket back on it and it is much more relaxed and in fact am enjoying it as much as the CB! So you other Bonneville owners out here, don't sell yours, they go great with the CB in the stable

I like the Honda Ctx1300, but it appears to be missing from the 2015 lineup like the CB
 
Yes IMO all Honda products are this good. I've had 9 Honda Motorcycles and 9 Honda cars, SUV, Van, Truck. All have been great. Oh yea a Honda generator too.

No CTX 1300 for 2015 the dealer told me. A 1 year model.
 
Not only are their motorcycles good (I've owned many) but Honda cars and small engines, are well made and hammer-like reliable. I've never had a failure of any kind on any Honda car or motorcycle I've ever owned. Another Honda quality and one that's hard to describe is the precise and fluid movement of manual controls on their cars. Everything just feels "right". The V-twin Honda motor on my riding mower is eleven years old and is run at least every two weeks to mow 5 acres of grass in summer and to mulch dead leaves in fall and winter. Still runs perfect with just routine maintenance.
 
All of the plastic is for weight savings, the CB only has plastic around the gauges and the side-covers. The CB was a special bike for Honda i honestly think they did put a little more attention to detail on this one! I owned a shadow 750 spirit for a few years and I had the same thing plastic everything except the tank and my fender ended up cracking from a rock. I am not a fan. But I did love the shaft drive. The thing about the fury's and the other "cruisers" from Honda is they really don't change much over the years so color upgrades and small things here and there. The biggest upgrade Honda made to their bikes was in '10 when they converted all of their cruisers to fuel injection. Compared to other Motorcycle manufactures out there I think honda and yamaha make the best most reliable engines.
 
I'll spit into the wind. Not all Honda products are this good; I think the CB1100 is a wee bit of a cut above. Other Honda motors have had problems over the years (V45 had oiling issues and were a royal pain to do the valves on, the Hawk suffered from motor issues too). All in all they are pretty darn good and have earned their reputation, but there have been some misques. You could say I was nit-piking though.
 
I'm an outlier on the Honda reliability issue.... at least
the cars. Ive owned one Honda car, a 2007 Civic I bought
new. It's still in my family, but at 65000 miles the engine was replaced.
It has an aluminum block and it cracked. It was covered under
warranty, but still.... I've never experienced such an issue
with any car I've ever owned. And I've had a lot... The 2 Honda bikes I've owned have been great but I'm not a high mileage rider.
 
Between my wife and I, we've had 14 Honda and Acura cars - all stone reliable, and the finish and ergonomics were second to none. The little woman keeps her cars a lot longer than I do, and she's had her 2005 CRV SE 10 years from new, pushing 200k miles on it now, and never a hiccup, but for a driver side sun visor that started drooping a few months ago - hardly anything to complain about - although I will add that we treat our vehicles VERY well. Her sister traded in a 1995 Accord (also bought new) on a 2006 CRV with close to 300k on it, and she is murderous on her cars. It was beat to heck, but still ran like a top, but for an occasional overheating problem right at the end.
Although I had an old '76 CB550 that I converted into a cafe bike a few years ago, this is my first new Honda bike. I have to say that the finish and build quality is head and shoulders above any other bike I've ever owned. I love my Bonneville, but it feels like a garage-build next to the CB1100.
Honda is tough to beat, period.
 
I'd like to agree with everyone as I love my '13 CB1100 but there's a reason why I have a Kawasaki adventure bike and Star cruiser in my garage. I've realized that the big 4 each have a class of machine that beats the other's version. Used to be a fan of the brand but now it's more about the individual machine.
 
I think their motorcycles are superb. There is a bit too much plastic on their current gen stuff, admittedly, but fit and finish is still great and they do produce the most stout and reliable bikes I've come across. I can say the same for the generators and small engine stuff. However, I do not favor Honda cars whatsoever. No offense to people who have them, but Honda technology is severely dated. I heard an interview on NPR with a Honda rep and he said the reason Honda does so well is because they don't chase after being number 1. They stay content with being 3rd or 4th and produce a "winning formula". In the auto line, that means heavily recycled technology. The Honda Ridgeline "truck" is my favorite example. You see, this isn't a truck... It's a Honda Odyssey minivan. Yup. A FWD minivan with RWD just 'added on' (Full time AWD, *NO* frame). Engine is transverse and a pain to work on. What's more is Honda falls behind in economy due to lack of direct injection and LACK OF A 6 SPEED AUTO!!! Really?! They have a CVT, but only in hybrid trim last I heard. Chrysler, GM, and Toyota all have production 8 speed autos and literally everyone else has 6 speeds. But again... "Winning formula"... The 5 speed works and their engines are largely unchanged because they do work. Keep up with timing belt changes and regular maintenance and you should be fine. But the world is moving faster than Honda desires to go. The next few years will be big for Honda. Either good or bad...
 
I too have to put in a plug for Honda quality or at least standing behind their products. I bought an Acura RL at an auction one time for what I thought was a great price. Get it home hook up the scanner to see what the check engine light is and it turns out to be an Air bag sensor in the seat which would have turned this into a bad purchase. Well Honda ponied up on a 9 year old car with over 100,000 miles with at least 3 owners and fixed it under warranty. I was a Honda fan before that but that really sealed it for me. Great company in my opinion.
 
Thread starter
hb9400_imp said:
I'd like to agree with everyone as I love my '13 CB1100 but there's a reason why I have a Kawasaki adventure bike and Star cruiser in my garage. I've realized that the big 4 each have a class of machine that beats the other's version. Used to be a fan of the brand but now it's more about the individual machine.
Im looking at adding a Star Stryker to the stable, I agree its about the individual machine
 
I have a Ridgeline truck. Love it. I take no offense KDigg. I knew it was on an Odyssey bed when I bought it (btw had an Odyssey too and loved it). The Odyssey bed gives it a better ride than a truck bed. I don't need an 8 speed or a 6 speed and I don't need a CVT. As a matter of fact my truck has blue tooth something or other I don't even use now. It also has other buttons with letters on the dash I have no idea what they do. I've had the truck 5 years now. Never been in the shop except for oil changes. I didn't need a "real truck" like my brothers Dodge that gets 12 miles per gallon, and is in the shop every few months for repair. I'm not towing a camper, or boat, or a load of construction materials. I haul yard waste, or mulch or a piece of furniture that my wife buys, and I tow a motorcycle trailer with one bike on it sometimes. It does everything I want it to do, and it does it all very well. Everyone who sees my double direction swing tail gate, underneath the bed storage or bed without wheel humps is amazed.

I don't care where Honda is on the car sales ladder (GM is number 1, Honda is number 4), but I care where they are on the reliability ladder (Honda is number 1, GM is number 4), and as long as they keep making cars I can buy for a reasonable price, that will run 200-300,000 miles without repairs, I will remain a customer. Even if they are not bristling with the latest technology. Sometimes plain and simple just works...especially for me. We all have our priorities. That's why I bought a CB 1100 and not a BMW, KTM or the new R1 Yamaha.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have a Ridgeline truck. Love it. I take no offense KDigg. I knew it was on an Odyssey bed when I bought it (btw had an Odyssey too and loved it). The Odyssey bed gives it a better ride than a truck bed. I don't need an 8 speed or a 6 speed and I don't need a CVT. As a matter of fact my truck has blue tooth something or other I don't even use now. It also has other buttons with letters on the dash I have no idea what they do. I've had the truck 5 years now. Never been in the shop except for oil changes. I didn't need a "real truck" like my brothers Dodge that gets 12 miles per gallon, and is in the shop every few months for repair. I'm not towing a camper, or boat, or a load of construction materials. I haul yard waste, or mulch or a piece of furniture that my wife buys, and I tow a motorcycle trailer with one bike on it sometimes. It does everything I want it to do, and it does it all very well. Everyone who sees my double direction swing tail gate, underneath the bed storage or bed without wheel humps is amazed.

I don't care where Honda is on the car sales ladder (GM is number 1, Honda is number 4), but I care where they are on the reliability ladder (Honda is number 1, GM is number 4), and as long as they keep making cars I can buy for a reasonable price, that will run 200-300,000 miles without repairs, I will remain a customer. Even if they are not bristling with the latest technology. Sometimes plain and simple just works...especially for me. We all have our priorities. That's why I bought a CB 1100 and not a BMW, KTM or the new R1 Yamaha.
I can sympathize with that. I love not fixing what ain't broke. But the small truck market is expanding rapidly! Look at the new diesel Ranger slated to come to America. Outstanding fuel economy, great power, and all in a nice package proven reliable. Honda used to push to be on the bleeding edge and did so with prowess, making new products that were both innovative and STOUT. I just miss that. I love my CB1100 and get crap ALL the time from my friends who have liquid cooled motors, advanced suspension, traction modes, and a bunch of other BS. But the argument I make is that my bike is exactly what I wanted. And a Ridgeline, as much as a adamantly oppose it, looks to be exactly what you wanted. And that is all that matters :) Honda does ALWAYS build to an aggressive quality standard, regardless of the technology.

But for real, they need a 6 speed auto. That's just crazy.
 
I have had a number of Honda bikes over the years. Currently I have the CB11 since last year which is amazing, and a Honda Z50 (Monkey Bike) from 1972 which is like new and never misses a beat. Pretty much all Hondas I have had were excellent with one exception, my 1999 Varadero. Other than the fact that the engine had to be replaced under warranty, something that can happen to anybody from time to time, it was the general poor quality of all the parts that let me down. After riding for one full year, including a winter, it looked like it was at least five years old. I am not sure where the Varadero was built, but I think they made them in Italy at the time.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have a Ridgeline truck. Love it. I take no offense KDigg. I knew it was on an Odyssey bed when I bought it (btw had an Odyssey too and loved it). The Odyssey bed gives it a better ride than a truck bed. I don't need an 8 speed or a 6 speed and I don't need a CVT. As a matter of fact my truck has blue tooth something or other I don't even use now. It also has other buttons with letters on the dash I have no idea what they do. I've had the truck 5 years now. Never been in the shop except for oil changes. I didn't need a "real truck" like my brothers Dodge that gets 12 miles per gallon, and is in the shop every few months for repair. I'm not towing a camper, or boat, or a load of construction materials. I haul yard waste, or mulch or a piece of furniture that my wife buys, and I tow a motorcycle trailer with one bike on it sometimes. It does everything I want it to do, and it does it all very well. Everyone who sees my double direction swing tail gate, underneath the bed storage or bed without wheel humps is amazed.

I don't care where Honda is on the car sales ladder (GM is number 1, Honda is number 4), but I care where they are on the reliability ladder (Honda is number 1, GM is number 4), and as long as they keep making cars I can buy for a reasonable price, that will run 200-300,000 miles without repairs, I will remain a customer. Even if they are not bristling with the latest technology. Sometimes plain and simple just works...especially for me. We all have our priorities. That's why I bought a CB 1100 and not a BMW, KTM or the new R1 Yamaha.
Well said...and my sentiments, exactly.
Honda has an incredible R&D dept. - in my opinion, if they truly felt that XYZ update or upgrade was worth it, they would have implemented it by now (and let's face it, they're not exactly being left in the Stone Age!). They haven't felt the need to follow the crowd just because it's trendy, and have obviously weighed the pluses and minuses where necessary.
In the meantime, making vehicles of superior finish, that just "feel right", and last 1/4 million miles or more is enough for me.
Just my 2 cents. :D
 
First, I don't disagree with the sentiments expressed here, especially concerning HONDA. I'm very happy with my CB. As a shop manager at a multi-brand dealership, including HONDA, I feel it's worth mentioning that we exist because we are dealing with machines and machines have problems whether we are talking about HONDA motorcycles, FORD trucks, LEXUS automobiles, et al! Most of you, like me, probably realize that HONDA has had more recalls across their product line in the last 10-12 years than they had in the previous 40 years combined. The reason we have a 2-3 week backlog of service work is not just doing oil changes. All those customers who have experiences contrary to our love fest with our HONDAs' could paint a very different picture! One of my sons owns a 2013 HONDA ODYSSEY that has had over $3,000 worth of electrical, suspension, and drivetrain repairs (covered under warranty). Fortunately, I can help him to understand my point above and not totally condemn a manufacturer for his experience.
 
kenny, absolutely true if something is mechanical and made by man, something can go wrong with it, that all mfgs have a certain percentage of their products that have issues, and all mfgs have service and warranty depts for a reason. I would think it would be safe to say that all mfgs have had more recalls in the last 10 years than in their previous 40 years. Still someone has to have the best reliability record and someone has to have the worst reliability record. For as long as I can remember Honda has had the best, or close to the best reliability record as rated by consumers and consumer protection groups. That says a lot to me.

Pity the person that gets a defective product, be it car, motorcycle, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, toaster, doesn't matter, when you pay your hard earned money you should get a well made reliable functioning product. The best that company can produce.
 
No ones ever going to win on this subject... I've owned a Chrysler, 3 Plymouths, 2 Buicks, a Corvette, TransAm, Honda, Toyota, and 2 Fords in the past . I now own a Ford Expedition, a Lincoln MKS, and a Mercedes GLK. And the only problems of any consequence was the engine issue on the Honda, and a transmission problem with the TransAm. All of these vehicles have exceeded 200,000 miles except the 2 sports cars (I tired of them) and the ones I currently own. The Expedition now has 150,000 miles, the MKS has 130,000 miles, and the Mercedes is new. Bottom line... cars today (bikes too... want to hear how good my Harley is?), are better made than ever before and if you take care of them, and drive them normally, they'll last much longer than most people give them credit for.
 
Back
Top