Apache 4800 top box. (HF/Pelican case)

mvk24_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
So I had an apache 3800 laying around for my drone batteries and put it on my rear rack to see how it would look (saw an entire thread on ADV rider about using Pelican cases).

It looked good but I realized I could use the larger size. I grabbed the 4800 case from harborfeight for 70$ and used cardboard to mark a template of where the holes on the factory rack are.

I then laid the template over the bottom of the box and drilled 4 holes large enough to fit 6mm bolts through.

With 4 6mmx1 inch bolts and a few washers/rubber washers i was able to get this mounted up very fast.

- I have proper anti theft bolts with knob heads and clips on the way (used for saddlebags bags) to make this more anti theft proof and I will be able to mount it and remove it very quickly by hand without the need of tools.

- i also have some stainless steel tie down anchors on the way so I can bolt them onto the case and have more options to tie gear down to the top of it. Ones I have the final bolts and such I will be using rubber washers and silicone to waterproof all the bolts. I also have black reflective tape on the way that I will place on the back and sides of the box.

*** This has totally changed the game for my storage and I can fit my sleeping pad, hammock, pots, 2 fuel bottles with plenty of room to spare. If im riding solo i have even more space and I can have all my camping gear in the box and on the passenger seat. Leaving saddlebags and top of the box for anything else I want or need.


I can also change out the foam that the box came with to accommodate my camera, drone, laptop, any precious cargo that I want a little extra protection with. This was VERY easy to do and this is a no brainer for anyone that enjoys motocamping.



I am posting the photos now from the project temporarily mounted with regular bolts and washers to help another rider out with figuring out his setup. But I will update this thread on how I add the tie downs and quick detach bolts and such. I also thing I will mount a storage tube on each side for my fuel bottles/tool roll.
60a06a1bb322e5f8a1796bfa613b45e6.jpg
eeb6e72570088ae4288b323d4217ab84.jpg
def77200df01b67d6aee967fadfc5418.jpg
40dddb62189ee0c47367fb5e7b88d9d0.jpg
6873397abb5ab42c25c0e97a26fe67a2.jpg
87999604966f53e5ad6d92fa1f6a0c54.jpg
d76d9c0de1e903c043e2250725cdc9d1.jpg
141bc3c9a568e5b70b1d56655274e5d8.jpg
6f83a96a6390aeabd2aa000d8bad0b24.jpg
8d255083de78e4399d5954c6770999df.jpg
8ee4f8a1bbe90f4e89c0438a8a26116d.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
turning it into a proper solo tourer aren't you?
 
Nice one, mvk. In many ways a much better option than a conventional top box.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Nice one, mvk. In many ways a much better option than a conventional top box.
Thanks, I like the ruggedness. I am going to try some flat bar instead of the fender washers also I think so more of the box is gripped down towards the rack.

I'll post some more photos when its complete

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Yes, or a thin plate with the screws towards the corners.

I'll look forward to the pictures.
 
Thread starter
So I got all stainless steel hardware and the tie down anchors are stainless.

I drilled a hole slightly smaller than the machine screws so the screws actually tapped themselves through the plastic nice and tight.

I used rubber washers inside and out on every single bolt to maintain a waterproof/tight seal.

The tie downs are placed for how I use my Rok straps to tie down my gear. But I will be looking to add a few more in the other direction and on other parts of the box to have more options with different kinds of luggage/gear. I also would like to add the storage tubes to the sides for my fuel bottles or add a small Roto-Pax fuel mount/tank for the long hauls.

I can take the seat on and off with the box on which is ideal. But thinking I wouldn't be able to I used the thumb bolts to mount it to my rear rack so I could quickly get the box on and off without the use of tools.

As seen in the first mock up I had smaller washers also. I swapped out to larger fender washers and of course a rubber washer with the same OD as the fender washer and an ID of slightly smaller than the bolt so its a nice tight seal.

I didnt need to use any gasket maker and everything is super tight and clean. I prefer it that way because I want the box to be mobile and modular when I need to change it up according to what im doing.

For anyone interested, when I was looking at options to mount it I didnt want to use nuts for 2 reasons.

1. Anyone with a wrench or pliers could remove it easily (anti-theft)

2. I want to be able to take the box on and off easily, so having nuts on the bottom of the rear rack is something that could also fall off and away (down a sewer drain, etc.) If I had to take the box off on the side of the road for a repair or something.

SO while I was looking around i found 1000 listings for the quick detach/anti theft Harley saddlebag bolts and U-Clips. However they are 7.5mm bolts and the holes in the factory rear rack are 6mm.


So I just ordered a pack of 6x25mm thumb bolts. And a pack of U-clips for them. I ended up having to dremel the hole open a little larger not because of the bolt but to get the short U clip hole to line up with the rack hole.

It sounds like alot but this was easy and in the future just buy longer U-clips or use nuts and washer on the underside if it suits you.


- *** i also got black reflective tape and cut a bunch of pieces to put on all sides of the box. In the event I went down at night and my bike was not oriented properly headlights would catch the reflective tape on the underside or any other side. Now that I have it I will probably add a few small strips to the underside of my frame. You'll never see it but in the event it can be seen at night it might be the one thing saving you from getting hit.

I'm including a screenshot of each part i ordered from Amazon for you to reference. The washers and stainless bolts for the anchors I got from local hardware store.
6ecb3cb9c805dc0e182d3bcc6f4fa890.jpg
df407013a047cb5e14ba54f463649b5b.jpg
3444f2dd853aea7c98af8d14edc9a047.jpg
26c22dace3e18a1cf78b4d6bca17d371.jpg
10afcb9719379f266f1a08b4cee8c4f4.jpg
f7378f080ededb0db1b4ecbe10ddfa59.jpg
b6c7c7d81e6797734b3423db644404ed.jpg
91d005e0205a49b1a0b6cb9fde9634c0.jpg
2208374826076945694765fb6179f979.jpg
abf8b7997f1767adb9489415e5ad8327.jpg
47d4333b6351a8e31e2dc04275ca2e41.jpg
42ddb17d39489d32c828b03ad1ef7dc8.jpg
8a8441ffd261a5ae8fa2f7138f70948e.jpg
32385411b112a994e30e73e7e366a6a7.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Nice job. I like the tie down attachments....great idea. I put a Pelican box on the factory rack shortly after I purchased my CB thinking I would just use it for trips but it's never come off. Just too convenient!

dcdcc9802c5376e57e4d493225d4e2e4.jpg


ef93203740bb4699bab8bbaadd0e6d09.jpg
 
Thread starter
Indypikes_imp said:
Nice job. I like the tie down attachments....great idea. I put a Pelican box on the factory rack shortly after I purchased my CB thinking I would just use it for trips but it's never come off. Just too convenient!

dcdcc9802c5376e57e4d493225d4e2e4.jpg


ef93203740bb4699bab8bbaadd0e6d09.jpg
Thanks! Yea I think it looks really good on our bikes as far as a box goes. Almost looks like honda designed it for the rear rack because it sits so nicely on there.

Those stainless Bimini anchor were like 12$ i think if you want to add them. Just make sure they're stainless

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Excellent job mvk, bike looks great and purposeful.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Excellent job mvk, bike looks great and purposeful.
Thanks gents, I have the Sedici Soft bags for now.

I'm looking at the universal hardbags that rich just installed as well. But that will be for a later date.

My goal was to make the bike more capable for long distance moto camping.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top