Anyone using the Kaoko throttle control?

milkmaster_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Anyone using the Kaoko throttle lock on their CB1100? If so, care to share your positives and negative experiences?
 
I didn't use one on the Honda CB1100, but I am on the Honda CRF1000.

For a throttle lock, its greatest strength is its ability to regulate throttle response. That is, if you are going over rough roads and your throttle arm/wrist is bouncing around, it can smooth out the control.

As for a lock, it works well. I feel it is reliable. It is also well-crafted and blends in very nicely with the design of the bike.

= = =

On the other hand, it is no substitute for proper cruise control. However, it was not meant to be. In addition, it takes a bit to get used to. It might be one of those farkles either you like or dislike.
 
Thread starter
Thanks yes I agree it is no substitute. Sometimes you just need to lock the throttle for a minute when something itches or as you say stiffen it up a bit on a rough road. :) The Kaoko is a little pricey, looks well done. THX

GoldOxide_imp said:
I didn't use one on the Honda CB1100, but I am on the Honda CRF1000.

For a throttle lock, its greatest strength is its ability to regulate throttle response. That is, if you are going over rough roads and your throttle arm/wrist is bouncing around, it can smooth out the control.

As for a lock, it works well. I feel it is reliable. It is also well-crafted and blends in very nicely with the design of the bike.

= = =

On the other hand, it is no substitute for proper cruise control. However, it was not meant to be. In addition, it takes a bit to get used to. It might be one of those farkles either you like or dislike.
 
Looks cool, im not sure how that works though ill have to watch a video.

How much do those cost?

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
The basic function is turn the ring to stiffen or lock the throttle from turning. It causes the shaft to "expand" creating a friction surface inside the handlebar that impedes throttle rotation.

Undo the turning to loosen or unlock the throttle to resume normal freeform throttle behaviour.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The basic function is turn the ring to stiffen or lock the throttle from turning. It causes the shaft to "expand" creating a friction surface inside the handlebar that impedes throttle rotation.

Undo the turning to loosen or unlock the throttle to resume normal freeform throttle behaviour.
O that sounds better than the cheap palm press style ones. Whenever I'd hit a bump I'd "blip" the throttle. Didn't like that at all and stopped using it by the end of the first day of a trip I got it for.

I would give this style a whirl. Maybe I'll try the aliexpress version for 32$


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The basic function is turn the ring to stiffen or lock the throttle from turning. It causes the shaft to "expand" creating a friction surface inside the handlebar that impedes throttle rotation.

Undo the turning to loosen or unlock the throttle to resume normal freeform throttle behaviour.
mine would just unscrew and not hold anything
 
1973cb750_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
The basic function is turn the ring to stiffen or lock the throttle from turning. It causes the shaft to "expand" creating a friction surface inside the handlebar that impedes throttle rotation.

Undo the turning to loosen or unlock the throttle to resume normal freeform throttle behaviour.
mine would just unscrew and not hold anything
mine would just unscrew and not hold anything Thank sounds ****ty, not the kind of thing you can use locktite in either I suppose.

Probably doesn't help that you're removing a bar end weights to install it either. Im sure the vibrations can contribute to it loosening

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
During installation, at least on my Kaoka model, the device would "clip into" something on the inside of the handlebar. It was necessary to get that right.

In addition, the weight of the Kaoka device was designed to be an equivalent bar weight. There has been no vibration issues. I am unsure if all models perform similarly, but I reckon Kaoko would try to get consistent behaviour for all supported bike models.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
During installation, at least on my Kaoka model, the device would "clip into" something on the inside of the handlebar. It was necessary to get that right.

In addition, the weight of the Kaoka device was designed to be an equivalent bar weight. There has been no vibration issues. I am unsure if all models perform similarly, but I reckon Kaoko would try to get consistent behaviour for all supported bike models.
Thats good to know, the knock off one on aliexpress had a version with a bolt that looked like it would screw into the handlebar inserts like the stock weights do.

I'm just not sure what size bolt the stock bar end weights use to cross reference and find out if the knock off one will screw into the bar insert threads

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
According to the parts fiche—Screw, oval (6x65)
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Awesome it comes with an M6x60, you would just disregard the expandable coupler.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $32.00 20%OFF | Spirit Beast Motorcycle Cruise Control Throttle Clamp Assist End Bar Weight for Benelli Honda Suzuki Yamaha KTM Kawasaki Triumph
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMTIwyk
70634d88bb1e1c975b91aea908fade6d.jpg
6252bc882c9dbac4add18d7902a6f2f4.jpg


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
I’d be interested in a report on the knock-off if anyone gets one.
 
No meaningful throttle gadget reviews on AliExpress?

I realize lately there has been in influx of Russian AliExpress product reviews, but still.
 
Back
Top