Anyone taken their CB11 on the track?

Rolls_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Might be fun...

I have ample opportunity with so many great tracks nearby and many sport bike friends from the weekend rides through the mountains who regularly do track days.

While this is not the intended use for the gentlemanly CB11, it acquits itself quite well through the curves. Not looking to set any records or even change out the stock tires, but it seems like it'd be fun to lean a little further and ride a little harder in the relatively controlled environment of any of the beautiful tracks nearby.

Anybody tried it?
 
A track is where I would probably find the bikes limits and then some. I don't want to hurt my baby or myself, but it would be fun up until you find you've passed the suspensions or the tires, or the riders limits. Just came back from Indy. saw many professionals surpassing the limits of their bikes or abilities. Ugly reminder lol
 
Funny, never even considered it. As you mentioned, for the "gentlemanly CB11", it seems almost an insult to its refinement and classiness!
 
I'm not very interested to take my CB on the track, as it seems somewhat out of character for it. I see the CB1100 a little bit like a Bentley, a fast capable vehicle for discerning gents who don't want to take things too fast. Creamy and smooth at 70 percent effort, probably gets a bit unruly at closer to 90 percent. I really liked doing track work with my Yamaha RD350, that was really made for the racetrack. Horses for courses, as the British say.
 
Thought about it. Think it would be fun. Just can't accept the increased risk of dropping it, especially since i have not done a track day before. Someday, I hope to do a track day or two on another bike and maybe after that I'd consider bring the CB out for a lap or three.
 
RetroSeattle_imp said:
I'm not very interested to take my CB on the track, as it seems somewhat out of character for it. I see the CB1100 a little bit like a Bentley, a fast capable vehicle for discerning gents who don't want to take things too fast. Creamy and smooth at 70 percent effort, probably gets a bit unruly at closer to 90 percent. I really liked doing track work with my Yamaha RD350, that was really made for the racetrack. Horses for courses, as the British say.
I guess it depends on what era you're from. When I was racing in the 80s, the inline 4 liter bike was quite popular at the track (XS, GS, CB and KZ). Of course it wouldn't compete with today's racing bikes, but I think I'd feel quite at home on the track riding a CB1100.
 
That's cool Mr Tim!

I love riding on track, but have pretty much always done it with sports bikes. I started off doing the four levels of the California Superbike School at Philip Island, riding on their GSXR600's and have always felt that such dedicated supersports bikes are the best for track. I took my previous bike, a Moto Morini Corsaro roadster on track here in Europe once, and although it was fun I still prefer the proper racing position on the bike that a sports bike procures. So, now with the CB1100 the thought never crossed my mind. I like this bike for cruising the Juras and the Alps, and you can keep a decent pace with it.
 
Thread starter
I knew someone on this august forum would've tried out their CB11 on the well-groomed and relatively controlled environment of the track. Thanks, MrTim - that's just the kind of summary I was looking for. Glad to hear you enjoyed the experience. Sounds like a blast. Great pic, too.
 
A CB1100 on the track? I drag my pegs on the street (Palomar Mountain for you southern Ca riders) without even trying, and scrapped my side stand once. That was enough to scare me into riding it more sensibly, like it was designed for. I wouldn't even think about riding a CB1100 on the track.
 
Rolls_imp said:
I knew someone on this august forum would've tried out their CB11 on the well-groomed and relatively controlled environment of the track. Thanks, MrTim - that's just the kind of summary I was looking for. Glad to hear you enjoyed the experience. Sounds like a blast. Great pic, too.
Ive been to track with my cb1100.. It does pretty good.. It competes with more bikes than u think
 
I went to strip a few times and the bike does pretty good if u know what uour doing.. It competes with bikes you wouldnt even think it could hang with .. However 1/8 mile
 
Never done it but went to a track day where a guy ran a red standard CB1100 in the rain all day, and was having a blast.

Why would anyone be more likely to have a problem at a track day? That's inverse of the actual circumstances, anyone who's not found the limits of his/her bike should go to the track to learn what they are. The street is hardly the place to find out either you or the bike can't perform.

I think the CB1100 would be a blast on a tight track at a slow pace, what we'd call the "C" Group or entry level speeds. A fast racetrack, forget it, unless the bike was specifically set up for it. I could see Ohlins shocks, fork internals, obviously lose the centerstand, raise the ride height as far as possible. And hang way off to get the cornering speeds up. The engine and handling are great on the CB1100. Brakes, no problem either, maybe S/S lines, HH pads.

I would never do it myself because you would wind up grinding the cases and just generally being frustrated but it could be done.
 
You definitely have an increased risk of dropping the bike at a track day than you do on the street precisely because you are testing the limits of the bike and your skill on the track whereas you are, or should be, riding well inside of your limits on the street. Incidentally, you not need to experience 100% of your abilities to know what 70% feels like.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I can't afford to explore the absolute limits of my abilities on a bike for which I am still make payments. However, I also would not intentionally test my limits anywhere else but in the controlled environment of a track.
 
Depends. If you have your bike set up for the track, it's not bad. :D

11f664577ba1f42d2afba26891bba0c0.jpg
 
I've done it once. It's a lot fun, but it's also somewhat pointless. At least for me, the limit of the CB is its cornering clearance, and I can easily hit this when riding on the street without going at speeds that would be considered insanely fast. As other have mentioned though, it's more than capable, and can actually hang with a lot of bikes you wouldn't think it could.

Definitely agree with Ulvetanna regarding mods. I'd probably throw a fork brace on there too, as you can feel them start to flex under full braking force.
 
Back
Top