Anyone got one of these?

Mixagon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm thinking of buying one of these mover dollys.

Has anyone got one ? and are they as good and safe as they look in the video.

Pro's and con's

Thanks for replies.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
I'm thinking of buying one of these mover dollys.

Has anyone got one ? and are they as good and safe as they look in the video.

Pro's and con's

Thanks for replies.
I've used a dolly like that for my Guzzis, and it was extremely handy. In the US, Harbor Freight sells them for about $100, in red only. Very well made and thought out, adjustable for sidestand location.

It is great for rolling a bike into a corner, or if you have to park a bike in front of the car. It is not good on anything except smooth concrete, due to the small diameter casters and low clearance. It is also quite long, as it is made to also fit long Harleys and other cruisers - maybe 15" extra length.

I don't use it any more because all my bikes now have center stands, and I prefer a smaller footprint for the bike. I use a dolly like this so I can move the bike easier.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Mixagon_imp said:
I'm thinking of buying one of these mover dollys.

Has anyone got one ? and are they as good and safe as they look in the video.

Pro's and con's

Thanks for replies.
I've used a dolly like that for my Guzzis, and it was extremely handy. In the US, Harbor Freight sells them for about $100, in red only. Very well made and thought out, adjustable for sidestand location.

It is great for rolling a bike into a corner, or if you have to park a bike in front of the car. It is not good on anything except smooth concrete, due to the small diameter casters and low clearance. It is also quite long, as it is made to also fit long Harleys and other cruisers - maybe 15" extra length.

I don't use it any more because all my bikes now have center stands, and I prefer a smaller footprint for the bike. I use a dolly like this so I can move the bike easier.
I've used a dolly like that for my Guzzis, and it was extremely handy. In the US, Harbor Freight sells them for about $100, in red only. Very well made and thought out, adjustable for sidestand location.

It is great for rolling a bike into a corner, or if you have to park a bike in front of the car. It is not good on anything except smooth concrete, due to the small diameter casters and low clearance. It is also quite long, as it is made to also fit long Harleys and other cruisers - maybe 15" extra length.

I don't use it any more because all my bikes now have center stands, and I prefer a smaller footprint for the bike. I use a dolly like this so I can move the bike easier.
Thanks PD, I've been thinking and maybe its not right for me, two problems really, the bike needs two bike lengths to get off the dolly and to clean/lube the chain etc the rear wheel needs to be off the floor which it wouldn't be.

Maybe your second one is best for me as the rear is off the floor. I was put off those because I'm sure it was on this forum I saw a bike with one centre stand leg off the stand, that would cause a big problem for me. I guess I could weld a lip around the base to stop the stand moving off the base.

Do you find it easy to move a bike around with the front wheel still on the floor ?
 
Mixagon_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Mixagon_imp said:
I'm thinking of buying one of these mover dollys.

Has anyone got one ? and are they as good and safe as they look in the video.

Pro's and con's

Thanks for replies.
I've used a dolly like that for my Guzzis, and it was extremely handy. In the US, Harbor Freight sells them for about $100, in red only. Very well made and thought out, adjustable for sidestand location.

It is great for rolling a bike into a corner, or if you have to park a bike in front of the car. It is not good on anything except smooth concrete, due to the small diameter casters and low clearance. It is also quite long, as it is made to also fit long Harleys and other cruisers - maybe 15" extra length.

I don't use it any more because all my bikes now have center stands, and I prefer a smaller footprint for the bike. I use a dolly like this so I can move the bike easier.
I've used a dolly like that for my Guzzis, and it was extremely handy. In the US, Harbor Freight sells them for about $100, in red only. Very well made and thought out, adjustable for sidestand location.

It is great for rolling a bike into a corner, or if you have to park a bike in front of the car. It is not good on anything except smooth concrete, due to the small diameter casters and low clearance. It is also quite long, as it is made to also fit long Harleys and other cruisers - maybe 15" extra length.

I don't use it any more because all my bikes now have center stands, and I prefer a smaller footprint for the bike. I use a dolly like this so I can move the bike easier.
Thanks PD, I've been thinking and maybe its not right for me, two problems really, the bike needs two bike lengths to get off the dolly and to clean/lube the chain etc the rear wheel needs to be off the floor which it wouldn't be.

Maybe your second one is best for me as the rear is off the floor. I was put off those because I'm sure it was on this forum I saw a bike with one centre stand leg off the stand, that would cause a big problem for me. I guess I could weld a lip around the base to stop the stand moving off the base.

Do you find it easy to move a bike around with the front wheel still on the floor ?
I've used a dolly like that for my Guzzis, and it was extremely handy. In the US, Harbor Freight sells them for about $100, in red only. Very well made and thought out, adjustable for sidestand location.

It is great for rolling a bike into a corner, or if you have to park a bike in front of the car. It is not good on anything except smooth concrete, due to the small diameter casters and low clearance. It is also quite long, as it is made to also fit long Harleys and other cruisers - maybe 15" extra length.

I don't use it any more because all my bikes now have center stands, and I prefer a smaller footprint for the bike. I use a dolly like this so I can move the bike easier.
Thanks PD, I've been thinking and maybe its not right for me, two problems really, the bike needs two bike lengths to get off the dolly and to clean/lube the chain etc the rear wheel needs to be off the floor which it wouldn't be.

Maybe your second one is best for me as the rear is off the floor. I was put off those because I'm sure it was on this forum I saw a bike with one centre stand leg off the stand, that would cause a big problem for me. I guess I could weld a lip around the base to stop the stand moving off the base.

Do you find it easy to move a bike around with the front wheel still on the floor ?
If you search for "motorcycle center stand dolly" you'll find several brands. I've not had a problem with the bike sliding off it, but you must be careful aligning the centerstand on it. Rather than welding, you could also try bolting a couple pieces of angle iron would also help align it. Just be sure it isn't higher than the centerstand tang.

There are a couple drawbacks. First, it makes it a little more difficult to put on the centerstand.

Second, it makes it a little trickier taking it off the stand, as you have to put your left foot in front of the dolly to prevent it from sliding as you roll it off. You can't just sit on the bike and push it off.

I have 4 different brands of them, and the wheel locks are generally ineffective or too inconvenient to use. I also make sure the sidestand is down, just in case.

Once on the stand, it's pretty easy to steer it and push it. For tight maneuvering, I can lift the front wheel/fender, or just push down on the rear of the seat to pick up the front. I've made a dolly for the front wheel, but it needs work - you have to grab the front brake so it doesn't roll off of it, which is no big deal.
 
Maybe leave the car in the driveway and folks can park many motorcycles in the empty car spot (without dollies), plus some chairs, a bar frig, ... you get the idea.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Maybe leave the car in the driveway and folks can park many motorcycles in the empty car spot (without dollies), plus some chairs, a bar frig, ... you get the idea.
When you guys visit me again, I will implement this option. ...Lash too
...and before winter
:beerchug:
 
[/QUOTE]

...moves easily around on my garage floor.
May buy another one for my second bike.

ac6e06b044c3995539a83ba6aafd7f77.jpg


1d1469c90baedd207ec785da59d61df5.jpg

[/QUOTE]

PeterBaron, a good idea putting the extra bars to make sure the stand is centered on the dolly.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Maybe leave the car in the driveway and folks can park many motorcycles in the empty car spot (without dollies), plus some chairs, a bar frig, ... you get the idea.
When you guys visit me again, I will implement this option. ...Lash too
...and before winter
:beerchug:
When you guys visit me again, I will implement this option. ...Lash too
...and before winter
:beerchug:
Winter: Canadian Club, rocks 'n' soda

Summer: Bottled Sleeman Original Draught

Both are good enough and go well with shop talk. :thumbsup:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Exactly pkd, this is what happened once:

b8534b9951d4ff389280ef413818df48.jpg


d6b52a87a826762aa885a54661cbbc1b.jpg
Yikes! Well that ain't no good. I have one of those yellow Park-n-Move dollies, but have been using it as a dolly for my scissors jack, and it works great for a no-center stand bike I would be working on.


I found some better-designed ones on eBay, but they say a 500 pound limit. That seems a bit low, since they have extra bracing at the wheels, but the steel thickness doesn't compare to the yellow one that PB uses. But it is only $80 shipped in the US. There are comparable ones on eBay UK.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Exactly pkd, this is what happened once:

b8534b9951d4ff389280ef413818df48.jpg


d6b52a87a826762aa885a54661cbbc1b.jpg
That's the picture I remembered but couldn't find with the search function.
Good solution with the bolted on shelving posts.

That's the dolly type I'm now going to buy.
When you put the bike on it have you tried running the rear wheel on a piece of wood to even the height difference and make it easier to put on the stand?
 
Mixagon_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Exactly pkd, this is what happened once:

b8534b9951d4ff389280ef413818df48.jpg


d6b52a87a826762aa885a54661cbbc1b.jpg
That's the picture I remembered but couldn't find with the search function.
Good solution with the bolted on shelving posts.

That's the dolly type I'm now going to buy.
When you put the bike on it have you tried running the rear wheel on a piece of wood to even the height difference and make it easier to put on the stand?
That's the picture I remembered but couldn't find with the search function.
Good solution with the bolted on shelving posts.

That's the dolly type I'm now going to buy.
When you put the bike on it have you tried running the rear wheel on a piece of wood to even the height difference and make it easier to put on the stand? Don't bother with putting a little piece of wood under the rear wheel. It's much too fussy getting everything in the right place. Get a small sheet of 1/2" -1" thick plywood, maybe 1 or 2 feet square, and run the front wheel onto it, then slide the stand underneath, and lift. It doesn't matter which wheel is raised, and the front is so much easier.

Even if you aren't putting it on a dolly, rolling the front wheel onto that plywood, raising it even 1/2", will make it easier to put on the center stand.
 
Thread starter
[/QUOTE]

When you put the bike on it have you tried running the rear wheel on a piece of wood to even the height difference and make it easier to put on the stand?
[/QUOTE]
Don't bother with putting a little piece of wood under the rear wheel. It's much too fussy getting everything in the right place. Get a small sheet of 1/2" -1" thick plywood, maybe 1 or 2 feet square, and run the front wheel onto it, then slide the stand underneath, and lift. It doesn't matter which wheel is raised, and the front is so much easier.

Even if you aren't putting it on a dolly, rolling the front wheel onto that plywood, raising it even 1/2", will make it easier to put on the center stand.
[/QUOTE]


Good point about the front wheel, I will be doing that.

I was going to buy that red one pictured above in a post, good design with the turned up edge and looks strong enough but its listed as having a 220kg limit and the cb is around 250kg. Are they underestimating the weight for safety ?
Is it worth the risk I wonder.
Edit.... just been looking again and some sellers rate the same dolly as 300kg weight limit and one in Germany as 500kg.. why do they complicate things :(
 
Mixagon_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Exactly pkd, this is what happened once:

b8534b9951d4ff389280ef413818df48.jpg


d6b52a87a826762aa885a54661cbbc1b.jpg
That's the picture I remembered but couldn't find with the search function.
Good solution with the bolted on shelving posts.

That's the dolly type I'm now going to buy.
When you put the bike on it have you tried running the rear wheel on a piece of wood to even the height difference and make it easier to put on the stand?
Yes, see the big X marked on the garage's floor, so I place soft 1" thick pad under each wheel , position the dolly under my bike and park it on the dolly, done.

7c4ae97846c5e0734b139975b9e4340e.jpg
 
Good point about the front wheel, I will be doing that.

I was going to buy that red one pictured above in a post, good design with the turned up edge and looks strong enough but its listed as having a 220kg limit and the cb is around 250kg. Are they underestimating the weight for safety ?
Is it worth the risk I wonder.
Edit.... just been looking again and some sellers rate the same dolly as 300kg weight limit and one in Germany as 500kg.. why do they complicate things :(
[/QUOTE]

I suspect that the weight limit is based on the caster load capacity. While the steel thickness is a little thin looking. at the very worst, it will start to sag, and you'll lose ground clearance. Nothing catastrophic.

I took a look at eBay UK, but found this from ConStands on Amazon UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ConStands-...p/B00LHDTFVE/ref=psdc_303873031_t3_B08GFZW9FL



It has a high load capacity due to double roller wheels, and the type of wheel lock works more easily than the individual locks at the casters.
 
Houtman_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gotta get me one of those X things. :)
I have a XXX marker you can borrow , they are scarce .
I have a XXX marker you can borrow , they are scarce .
GO, awaiting your arrival.
The marker will leave its permanent X memory on the windshield of your bike, helmet or both .... as you wish, no charge :P
:beerchug:
 
Back
Top