Anyone ever ride an ELECTRIC bike?

JustPassinThru_imp

Been there
Thread starter
My Suzi dealer just got a Zero franchise - one of the new brands of lithium-ion electric bikes.

Now, I expected these would be a joke. Like the Chinese electric cars...futuristic plastic body over a golf-car frame. Like the Polaris electric mountain bike, which goes 18 miles an hour.

The dealership was offering free demo rides. I was in there getting some minor adjustment on the Turkey Whistle...so, I asked Wyatt, the saleskid, if he'd let me have a ride. After all, I was a paying customer...

Wyatt said, sure. So I got on a Zero DS12.5.

The control on the "throttle" (rheostat, really) was set to ECO. "Don't put it on PWR until you get a feel for it," he warned. "It can rear up and throw you."

Sure.

But I'll make 'em happy...take it easy for a few minutes. I took it out in traffic...and my chin hit the bricks.

In ECO mode, that thing had more pickup than my Burgman 650. ALMOST more than the CB. That thing just TOOK OFF.

I had it up to 60 in no time at all...on a country lane, with a lot of industrial traffic. Let up to turn around...I see it has a REGENERATION feature. Self-braking is almost as much as with the Burgman 650...in other words, a LOT.

Another quick run-up to 60...I hadn't even flipped it to PWR yet. And, of course, it was ghostly quiet - which is a REAL plus to me - and NO vibration. Belt drive, even.

Back to the shop and turn it back in. The thing was perfectly balanced; attractive to look at; solid-feeling. There's no other way to say it: I was astounded.

With a range of 140 miles, that would meet more than half my transportation needs/wants. I'd be buying one now, except that the price on it is $15.5k.

If you're at all curious - OR if you THINK you know about these things - I suggest you take a test ride, if possible.
 
I'd love to ride one. I'd also love a ride in an electric car..as much for the experience as anything else.

Glad you got to try one out.
 
It would be interesting to see the same tax credits on electric bikes you see on electric cars. I would imagine they would sell quickly with such an incentive.

For a transportation device, the lower range and lack of quick refueling are less of an issue. I ride a motorcycle for enjoyment, so I still want the noise, smell, vibration, and shifting. Still, the torque, ease of use, and smoothness are nice features.
 
If the price was lower electric bikes and scooters would be perfect for many people who need in town transportation. Otherwise they're a unique novelty item for the well heeled.
 
Thread starter
Hey...to re-open an old thread...

I bought a Zero. Basically, I arraged basically an even-out swap using my CB1100. It was with another dealer, not the one in my town but one 300 miles away. He'd given up his Zero franchise and had a 2012 demonstrator, 2000 miles on it...and apparently his town isn't big on electrics. Kinda makes sense, since his main line is BMWs.

So...it was even and out. I was having little interest in the CB; and the 2012 Zero DS ZF-9 was actually listed at $12,000. So...what the hey; this is a hobby, anyway.

I wanted lighter. My Wee-Strom is a hundred pounds lighter than the CB; and the 2012 Zero is only 270 pounds.

This might be fun, depending on how it works out. If the motor and battery hold out...it'll be the perfect in-town ride.
 
Thread starter
No.

The reality is, it's not suitable for longer trips. Short hops, mostly in-town or where you trailer it to the trail...is where it's best used.

The new Zeros have modular battery-packs; and extras are sold. This one, has it bolted in.
 
Congrats. Big fun! And it sounds like you got a great swap deal.
I got passed on the highway a month ago by a Zero. He was flying. It didn't look like the kind of bike you would want to ride for long distances anyhow, so the range seems fine for what it is. Is it set up for off-roading? Seems like the perfect bike for that... light, huge torque, regenerative on the downhills. How is the suspension, handling, etc?
 
There is a guy in my neighborhood that has an electric bike. I think it might be the same brand.
It's about as loud as a golf cart..... creeps me out because it sometimes zips by me on the street and I never hear it coming.

I really want one, but I'm going to hold off until until the mileage goes up and the charging times go down..... oh and price too! :)

Jay Leno has a some good video demo/reviews featuring electric bikes on his Youtube channel.
I really liked the Mission Bike but a quick search showed a chapter 11 filed as of Sept.
 
Thread starter
That's what sold me on this - the test ride eight months ago. That thing had BALLS - twist the throttle and feel it try and launch, leaving you behind.

We shall see. Since I did this, I found on one board (didn't see it before doing the deal) that there's been problems with Zero supporting older bikes. Seems "older" means three years.

That might make it a problem. OTOH, there's an active community; so, just like getting Studebaker car parts, the owner network might get me through any needs.

If it lasts for three seasons, I'll call it good. Some Zero owners have put upwards of 20,000 miles on 2012s, so I might be okay.
 
Sounds like you got a good deal. With a 140 mile range, it's about the same as a lot of gasoline powered bikes. Just no reserve. Well you certainly have a conversation starter. Good luck with it.
 
I just saw one the other day Downtown. First one I've ever seen in the wild! This was a Brammo Empluse R; I think these were on Jay Leno's Garage a couple of years ago.

I'd really love to try one, but I have no idea where a dealer is (although I reckon Mr. Google could remedy that quickly). Cool-looking bike, and I could totally see myself owning one someday, once the supporting infrastructure is available. (Supercharger stations and the like). As one would expect, the price of these bikes today makes it hard for us normal folk to consider buying one. For now, they're just another toy for the rich.
 
I've never ridden one, but I've seen a couple around here and talked to a couple owners. One of them was saying that their mileage is effectively reversed -- they get great city mileage, but have no range on highway trips. Makes them an awesome commuter bike, but not really suited to a weekend tourer.
 
Fun bikes, been lusting after one for a while. Seems the price comes down every year and performance increases, but still pricey. The dual sport looks fun.
Rode one plus drove several electric cars (not the Tesla - look only) at a local alternative energy fair last winter. Fun and informative day. Also see some electric bicycles for sale. Hopefully the inventors and creators will keep tinkering.
Want a lightweight, fun ride to hang off the back of my truck for playing with on road trips. Welcome all suggestions.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Wow! Thats a brave move JPT. Keep us posted. Sounds like a lot of fun. Do you charge by plugging in to 110V domestic type outlet?

Cheers
Can't say, yet.

The roads are iced and the Voltercycle is in the garage.

I PLAN, to plug it in only as needed - since I don't have an outlet close by the carport. I can have it covered or I can have it charging, but not both.

We'll see. I'll pop in to let y'all know how this works.
 
LARIDER_imp said:
There is a guy in my neighborhood that has an electric bike. I think it might be the same brand.
It's about as loud as a golf cart..... creeps me out because it sometimes zips by me on the street and I never hear it coming.

I really want one, but I'm going to hold off until until the mileage goes up and the charging times go down..... oh and price too! :)

Jay Leno has a some good video demo/reviews featuring electric bikes on his Youtube channel.
I really liked the Mission Bike but a quick search showed a chapter 11 filed as of Sept.
This is my Stromer ST1 S I purchased recently. ( my mini N1K )This bike is fun to ride with 4 modes of power. I recently got the codes from a site in Europe to increase speed to 35MPH (Boost to 20 without pedaling)

Stromer is in the E market only with great customer service.

 
Back
Top