Any members along the total eclipse path?

kvdv_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all - this may be a crazy ask and totally presumptuous, but is there anyone out there who lives in Oregon along the path of the upcoming eclipse who might also have room for a couple of fellow riders to either couch surf or camp in your backyard? The wife and I are leaving early enough for the Western CB1100 rally to also wander into the path of the eclipse on the way if we want to, but virtually every hotel along the path is booked or charging obscene (gouging) prices.
I know it's a long shot, and we're ok with missing the eclipse if it comes down to it, but I thought it might be worth a try. Thanks! - KvdV
 
I'm in Cleveland, TN (in path) but that might be a bit far from your requested location!

kvdv_imp said:
Hi all - this may be a crazy ask and totally presumptuous, but is there anyone out there who lives in Oregon along the path of the upcoming eclipse who might also have room for a couple of fellow riders to either couch surf or camp in your backyard? The wife and I are leaving early enough for the Western CB1100 rally to also wander into the path of the eclipse on the way if we want to, but virtually every hotel along the path is booked or charging obscene (gouging) prices.
I know it's a long shot, and we're ok with missing the eclipse if it comes down to it, but I thought it might be worth a try. Thanks! - KvdV
 
kvdv_imp said:
Hi all - this may be a crazy ask and totally presumptuous, but is there anyone out there who lives in Oregon along the path of the upcoming eclipse who might also have room for a couple of fellow riders to either couch surf or camp in your backyard? The wife and I are leaving early enough for the Western CB1100 rally to also wander into the path of the eclipse on the way if we want to, but virtually every hotel along the path is booked or charging obscene (gouging) prices.
I know it's a long shot, and we're ok with missing the eclipse if it comes down to it, but I thought it might be worth a try. Thanks! - KvdV
I live in Eugene Oregon If it is in the total eclipse path you are welcome to come stay here and observe.
Kevin
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ferret, It looks like we are about 20 miles or so south of that band but would be easy to get to that band before the eclipse. I think it is supposed to start around 10 am here.
I'm not an expert but I think it will be pretty dark here any way.
Kevin
Just for general info that offer is open to any one on the forum.
Kevin
 
Any road that intersects with the path of totality is going to be a zoo on eclipse day. Leave extra early.

My buddy is the district ranger on a national forest in Idaho and they're expecting tens of thousands at every road and highway that intersects the path.

I've chosen an easier route. My little plane and I will be flying above the crowds during the eclipse. As an added bonus I'll be experiencing it for about twice as long as those on the ground by flying along the path at 140 mph.

Have fun!
 
That's it Flyn... Rub it in
 
I am giving thought to riding down to Paducah, KY or maybe Carbondale, IL for the eclipse. A little less than 400 miles from home. Will have to leave pretty early, but if the weather's good I could get down there and back pretty easy, I think
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
Any road that intersects with the path of totality is going to be a zoo on eclipse day. Leave extra early.

My buddy is the district ranger on a national forest in Idaho and they're expecting tens of thousands at every road and highway that intersects the path.

I've chosen an easier route. My little plane and I will be flying above the crowds during the eclipse. As an added bonus I'll be experiencing it for about twice as long as those on the ground by flying along the path at 140 mph.

Have fun!
You know, I have to admit that that very thought has been nagging at me. As much as I despise crowds and traffic, I've begun to rethink how important viewing the eclipse is to me. I suppose I could always check it out later on Youtube :cool:
 
My plan is to stop on the side of a side road for the 20 minutes or so that it would take to see most everything I wanted to see.
 
KVDV-I'm going to take a couple of days to get to the rally as well ,but am taking the northern route mostly on Hwy 20. If you want to go that way let me know.
Jon Z
 
MikeD_imp said:
A solar eclipse is coming to America. Here’s what you’ll see where you live.

Here is the map to find out what the coverage is for any area. Just enter the zip code. It looks like I would need to travel 16 miles SW to have 100% coverage. Unfortunately, I'll be at work, but I plan on stepping outside for a bit at the peak.

I like that map, MikeD I have to travel 266 miles SW, but I'm planning on traveling more like 350 miles more south than west. I may have to rethink that though if I can actually shave 100 miles of the ride down.

Here's an interactive map on Google Maps which works well, also.

USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier
 
Thread starter
Jonz_imp said:
KVDV-I'm going to take a couple of days to get to the rally as well ,but am taking the northern route mostly on Hwy 20. If you want to go that way let me know.
Jon Z
Hey John... the wife and I are leaving Seattle on Sun 20th, with the aim of being in Helena by Tue 22 to stay with an old friend for a couple days and then drop down to Salmon for the start of the rally. Our route will likely take us through Lewiston so we can ride Lolo Pass on our way to Montana.
 
A quick check of the distances on the Vox map..... There's no way, unless it's using as the crow flies distances, that I'm any closer than 340 miles to the band of totality. Not that it matters all that much.
 
I like the Google map, too. I like the eye protection warning at the bottom of the page, as well. I just ordered a 5 pack of viewing glasses from amazon. The Rainbow Symphony glasses were only $18 for five pairs.
 
MikeD_imp said:
I like the Google map, too. I like the eye protection warning at the bottom of the page, as well. I just ordered a 5 pack of viewing glasses from amazon. The Rainbow Symphony glasses were only $18 for five pairs.
My optometrist just posted on facebook that he's giving away viewing glasses--sweet.
 
Back
Top