Any interest in cams?

LOL yea 17 years, Store manager, Sales manager, Parts manager and Service manager at different shops...never a wrench. I understand how to do most things mechanically, they just don't transfer to my hands very well. Can't tell torque by hand, can't tell feeler gauge tension by hand etc. Not good at forcing things (wiring etc)out of the way which happens a lot with motorcycles. I can do bulb changes, battery replacement, remove and reinstall wheels, adjust chain, change oil and filter, replace spark plugs, air filter, replace a chain and sprockets, etc but I'm not going into top ends, bottom ends or transmissions.

Yesterday I replaced a steering spindle, axle and wheel bushings on my John Deere rider, piece of cake, but that is simple bolt on stuff. No feeler gauges or torque wrenches required.

Like simple math and algebra. They are both math. I'm good at one, not so good at the other.

I used to do top ends on my 2 stroke motocross bikes and my reed valve RD 350. Things were simpler then lol.
 
+ all these repairs, you did not tell us about + by being CB moderator and reading all these things about bikes, your are certified to overhaul a motorcycle :P
:celebrate::excited:
:thanks:
 
Thread starter
Silly as it sounds – I’ve never seen a difference from the very basics of putting a bolt in or out when I was 3 foot tall to the most extreme stuff I have ever done.

The only deviance is to slow down and just pay more attention to what you were doing and where and why.

It just started raining as soon as I finished my “break-in” but I couldn’t resist so I put on my gear and went out in the rain and road for a few miles out and back.

Maybe I have on rose colored glasses, but the bike felt, sounded, and pulled fantastic.

The dyno won’t lie.

Question now is- do I bring it back to the local shop for a quick dyno as is to see the truest cam difference- or do I go out to Guhl and get the max out of it (ign timing).

Gut tells me- both. It’s only time and money.
625dbecd58ab448bb5b1e9c7cf1362ca.png




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
If money’s no problem, both would be pretty interesting. Your call of course.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Silly as it sounds – I’ve never seen a difference from the very basics of putting a bolt in or out when I was 3 foot tall to the most extreme stuff I have ever done.

The only deviance is to slow down and just pay more attention to what you were doing and where and why.

It just started raining as soon as I finished my “break-in” but I couldn’t resist so I put on my gear and went out in the rain and road for a few miles out and back.

Maybe I have on rose colored glasses, but the bike felt, sounded, and pulled fantastic.

The dyno won’t lie.

Question now is- do I bring it back to the local shop for a quick dyno as is to see the truest cam difference- or do I go out to Guhl and get the max out of it (ign timing).

Gut tells me- both. It’s only time and money.
625dbecd58ab448bb5b1e9c7cf1362ca.png




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Josh, to see everything you need three trips: in this order:

1* back to local shop for a quick dyno
2* go to Guhl to get the max out of it...
3* go again to local shop to see final difference
PERIOD.
So you will see everything = your job and success :thumbsup::cool:

P.S How much roughly per each vi$it??
 
Thread starter
Local shop is $100 to run. Already been there twice.

Guhl will be much much more I am sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
peterbaron_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Silly as it sounds – I’ve never seen a difference from the very basics of putting a bolt in or out when I was 3 foot tall to the most extreme stuff I have ever done.

The only deviance is to slow down and just pay more attention to what you were doing and where and why.

It just started raining as soon as I finished my “break-in” but I couldn’t resist so I put on my gear and went out in the rain and road for a few miles out and back.

Maybe I have on rose colored glasses, but the bike felt, sounded, and pulled fantastic.

The dyno won’t lie.

Question now is- do I bring it back to the local shop for a quick dyno as is to see the truest cam difference- or do I go out to Guhl and get the max out of it (ign timing).

Gut tells me- both. It’s only time and money.
625dbecd58ab448bb5b1e9c7cf1362ca.png




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Josh, to see everything you need three trips: in this order:

1* back to local shop for a quick dyno
2* go to Guhl to get the max out of it...
3* go again to local shop to see final difference
PERIOD.
So you will see everything = your job and success :thumbsup::cool:

P.S How much roughly per each vi$it??
Josh, to see everything you need three trips: in this order:

1* back to local shop for a quick dyno
2* go to Guhl to get the max out of it...
3* go again to local shop to see final difference
PERIOD.
So you will see everything = your job and success :thumbsup::cool:

P.S How much roughly per each vi$it??
Yep, reckon that's right. Although it's not my money ;-)
You've got to stick with the same dyno if you want to be able to compare numbers.
Your only really measuring difference with the dyno runs. Comparing figures from different dynos will muddy the waters some...
 
Powerdubs you are 'the man' :worship::worship::worship:

So very impressed that you've had a red hot go at the cams and taking the time to share with us, thank you. Can't wait to hear how the bike feels after you've had a chance to give it a good thrashing and some dyno testing.
 
Thread starter
Out riding. Stopped for a sandwich and a couple beers.

Bike is running GREAT.

Seat of pants I feel everything seems better.

These things are always an unknown- so I didn’t know what to expect for power, sound, vibration, etc.

Best I can tell from seat of pants- everything seems as good or better.

Sounds great, feels great, pulls great!!

Dyno won’t lie. Sent an email to the local shop that I am ready when they are.

b6c2b297308579938d13d738d38f2fa1.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
At this point- I see ZERO reason not to recommend them.

If the dyno #'s back up my butt- I'll have a stock set of cams for sale.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Out riding. Stopped for a sandwich and a couple beers.

Bike is running GREAT.

Seat of pants I feel everything seems better.

These things are always an unknown- so I didn’t know what to expect for power, sound, vibration, etc.

Best I can tell from seat of pants- everything seems as good or better.

Sounds great, feels great, pulls great!!

Dyno won’t lie. Sent an email to the local shop that I am ready when they are.

b6c2b297308579938d13d738d38f2fa1.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe the beers helped.
 
emullick_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Out riding. Stopped for a sandwich and a couple beers.

Bike is running GREAT.

Seat of pants I feel everything seems better.

These things are always an unknown- so I didn’t know what to expect for power, sound, vibration, etc.

Best I can tell from seat of pants- everything seems as good or better.

Sounds great, feels great, pulls great!!

Dyno won’t lie. Sent an email to the local shop that I am ready when they are.

b6c2b297308579938d13d738d38f2fa1.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe the beers helped.
Maybe the beers helped.
NOT maybe, but for sure, and I bet you, both cams were beer soaked for at least a week:beerchug::cool:
 
Back
Top