Any interest in cams?

Hello Mr. Powerdubs! I've been following your project with great interest. Thanks for taking the time to document your progress, I know it takes lots of effort that could be spent working on your bike.

Looking forward to the successful first start up with your new cams!
 
Thread starter
Thanks. Start up will be a clencher.

Game plan is to fire it up, immediately hold it at 2k+, hope everything sounds normal and the a/f on my dash pod is in a safe range and then sit on it in my garage holding it between 2-3k non stop for 15-20 minutes.

Shut it down- sit for a while then change oil. I’ve got a fan I will have blowing from the front to keep her cool during break in.


If all goes well- then I adjust the idle a/f if needed, and take it for a ride to let the auto tune start throwing fuel at it for the various throttle positions and rpm.

I’ll do a few short local loops, coming back to the house and looking at the trim tables. Accept trims, ride, accept, repeat.

The real fun will be the first time I go WOT to redline.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
What CBRider said, PowerDubs. I don’t understand a lot of this, but it’s been interesting and I’ve enjoyed the journey. I hope it runs like a dream when you fire it up.
 
Thread starter
Success. History has been made.
92a710190ee21a89f32a832f7d77c467.png


I just finished buttoning it up, and couldn’t resist seeing if it ran or blew up.

Fired up- held at 2k right away to get oil up in the head. A little clicky clacky for a few seconds, then quieted down and smoothed out.

Gave it a moment, then reved a few times between 2-4K and shut it down.

Will play more tomorrow.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Very exciting. Congratulations, Josh. :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
Yea- as soon as I went to be last night a violent storm decided to rain down on us like the one where Lt Dan and God made their peace. Massive thunder, winds, rain. Still showers now.

I'm still going to fire it up in the garage with some fans on the engine to break in the cams and play with the fuel trims to see what changes the auto tune does.
 
Thread starter
About to do the “break in“ and adjust fueling to the best of my ability.

Interested to see what the auto trim thinks of the airflow.

I have a fan on the oil cooler and cylinders, and just for sake of consistency another fan blowing directly onto the wideband O2 sensor that controls all this.



d5d107eadb3b7583ecff8197c0bcde0e.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Well done Josh, nice work! Glad it's all gone your way, really looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Did you ever have your previous set up A/F tuned in the dyno?
If so are you running that tune on your PC and letting the Auto Tune correct from that?

Also, are you running a Cat free header with the stock Can?
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
About to do the “break in“ and adjust fueling to the best of my ability.

Interested to see what the auto trim thinks of the airflow.

I have a fan on the oil cooler and cylinders, and just for sake of consistency another fan blowing directly onto the wideband O2 sensor that controls all this.



d5d107eadb3b7583ecff8197c0bcde0e.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Josh, good luck with your cam project...put portable a/c unit and let it blow cold air...
I stil hear little clattering noise here in Canada, that sounds like cyl. #1, one exhaust & one intake:P...just kid you...without using my hearing aids..
We are all anxious to hear good news ...:thumbsup::clap::thumbsup::clap::thumbsup:
:)
 
Thread starter
Oh it definitely seems a little chatty, because as a safety not only for a loose valve is cool, but a loose valve will also have less chance of contact with the piston, and in theory they really should tighten up as I ride.

Peter – arrow header with staintune muffler.

Never had it tuned on a dyno, just doing my own thing with the power commander and auto tune for now.

Will probably make an appointment and drive out to Guhl in PA to have an actual tuner tonight because he can do ignition curve as well.

So far so good just ran it for 10 minutes between 2-4K, supposedly you never want to let new cams go below that for the first 15-20 minutes because they need as much oil being sprayed around in the head as possible.

I stopped to check the air fuel on the laptop to see what the trim table was showing about the hop back on do another 10 minutes all seems well no leaks no odd sounds I will turn probably get dressed then and head out for a quick ride as long as the rain holds off.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
lol brave man. As one who is not very mechanically skilled beyond the basics, guys that can tear apart a motor and put it back together just amaze me.
 
Thread starter
Didn’t you work in a motorcycle shop?

Don’t worry – you’re still much cuter than me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The ferret_imp said:
lol brave man. As one who is not very mechanically skilled beyond the basics, guys that can tear apart a motor and put it back together just amaze me.
Ferret, this is the easiest part...now try to fire it...to see if job is done right :rofl:
Josh is very good with it = I smell full success :clap:
 
Back
Top