Any interest in cams?

Ben70_imp said:
I am really curious about the whole "closing the exhaust valve 10 degrees later" thing... levitating with anticipation for some enlightenment :)
Mate, if you can levitate, what do you need a bike for? :P
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ben70_imp said:
I am really curious about the whole "closing the exhaust valve 10 degrees later" thing... levitating with anticipation for some enlightenment :)
Mate, if you can levitate, what do you need a bike for? :P
Mate, if you can levitate, what do you need a bike for? :P Moreover, why would he need enlightenment? Anyone can levitate must already be there!
SimiPair_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
I have a contact that works for a cam company and I put out a feeler to see if they are able or willing to do anything for us.
Keep us posted.

I believe the quoted price is high because to put the intake timing in phase requires more lobe work.

By the way, the timing for the 1982 CB1100F is INT: 15(BTDC), 35(ABDC), and EX: 40(BBDC), 10(ATDC).
Keep us posted.

I believe the quoted price is high because to put the intake timing in phase requires more lobe work.

By the way, the timing for the 1982 CB1100F is INT: 15(BTDC), 35(ABDC), and EX: 40(BBDC), 10(ATDC). All that stuff has to be analyzed in conjunction with:

-Mass of the piston, rod, crankshaft, valves and springs
-Piston speed and inertia
-Bore and stroke
-ignition timing
-brake mean effective pressures
-heat dissipation

It ain't simple so without some very good software and a very good engineer it could be quite dicey. Higher lift/duration very often requires lighter valves and/or stronger springs. Then you get into the whole valve seat material issue, how the valves are ground, all that.

Mine's fast enough. In fact I've noticed in the cool weather it really runs a lot stronger. That's an air-cooled, computer-controlled engine for you. Automatically changes the ignition timing based on OAT and air density.
 
Ok so I got a response from him....

Quote:Re: motorcycle cams
Yes ,most likely. Let me check into it a bit more though.


Quote:I am a member on a forum called cb1100forum.com and a few of the guys have shown interest in getting either new cams or having theirs reground.
Is this something that you can handle?
We are dealing with 2013/2014 air cooled 1140CC engines that are factory fuel injected.

The factory "mis-timed" the cams to add character to the bike.
Some guys want to just smooth it out and others want to do that and and some power. Just looking for some options if possible.

Thanks, Randy.
 
I get the feeling WEB is too busy. I'm going to talk to Megacycle. I've bought several of their cams in the past.

I'm going to pull the cams from my 2014 and take some measurements. TDC valve to piston, valve spring bind, retainer to valve stem seal, cranking cylinder compression, etc.

I do need a warmer day, though.
 
Called Megacycle. What a frustrating call. The person who answered the phone talked without listening. Repeated the script over and over. "Developmental program." $1200!

Waste of time. What's a hotrodder to do?
 
Did a search for Power Commander posts and came across this thread. Very interesting topic, to say the least. Did anyone actually do anything to their cam, with measured results? Can't say it's be interested in doing it myself but would love to see how it worked out!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Just watched the 'MC commuter' video of the 2017 bike. The guy seemed to like the bike- no complaints.

But as expected, the comment section was full of negativity on the power output.

Uggh.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Just watched the 'MC commuter' video of the 2017 bike. The guy seemed to like the bike- no complaints.

But as expected, the comment section was full of negativity on the power output.

Uggh.
Yes, it's like that with every article. It's almost not even worth it to read the comments anymore except one can sometimes glean useful information from them.

When did this obsession with HP show up or has it always been like this. I don't read many motorcycle magazines, the last being 2001 when looking for a new bike but I don't recall the focus being on power like it seems to now.
 
HP has become THE at-a-glance comparison to get more share of an increasingly competitive market.

I used to ride with a man who had a V-Strom. He sold that and bought a KTM Super Adventure. Then he always wanted to talk about how his bike made 160 HP and how fast it was. We stopped riding together after that.
 
Thread starter
Spoke with the cam shop briefly yesterday, they are currently welding my cams in preparation to grind. I had them triple check the timing measurements as I want to really make sure this gets done correctly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
No further info yet. Still being made.

Once I get them, I'll be the guinea pig and install them to see what happens. :)

Headed to the dyno in a few hours for my baseline run (stock +staintune) and then swapping to the '17 airbox snorkel and TSR plate to see whats what.
 
Well, I'm very interested to see what sort of result you get.
As someone said in an earlier post, I think, It would be nice to see what a set of cams that was timed properly would do.
 
Thread starter
I’m not changing the staggered timing- that would probably be a bad idea.

(I’d imagine the ign timing is dif per cyl as well)

Just increasing the lift and duration.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Welcome Chrisvillar. Check post #93. The cams are still being made.
 
Thread starter
Forgot to give the baseline results before I throw my pile of parts on the bike.

Hit the dyno last night, stock w/ staintune muffler- 89.xx wheel hp, 68.xx wheel tq.

Swapped on the '17 airbox snorkel and then the TSR airbox plate that takes the place of the snorkel.

Of course with no other modifications, and no change to fueling I wasn't expecting much- but I did expect something measurable.

No real difference at all between the '14-'17 snorkel in power put down, but the a/f did lean out a bit which seems to me the '17 snorkel is getting more air into the engine. Surprisingly at lower rpm.

The TSR plate went a little more lean, again at low RPM, and a bit in the mid. Approaching 16:1 when the throttle first opens. I personally wouldn't run this plate without a fuel controller, but none of this is scientific- we have no idea how the bike is behaving at part throttle with any of this.

All the runs regardless of intake richened up at the higher rpm leveling off around 13:1 for roughly the last thousand rpm.

The TSR plate did make the best hp of the day at 90.85whp, but the meager 1hp gain was only for the last 1,000 rpm- not anywhere near enough to notice when riding, nowhere near enough to make any measurable difference in an acceleration or win a race.

Remember this is just a start. These pieces will be re-tested and results compared once the other modifications are done, and the fueling adjusted to suit.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I’m not changing the staggered timing- that would probably be a bad idea.

(I’d imagine the ign timing is dif per cyl as well)

Just increasing the lift and duration.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair doos...

Couldn't the ign timing be altered? I'm dog tired after a few busy days at the grind stone, so forgive me if I'm talking out of my hat. I've given it all 3 nano seconds of thought...

I'm still keen to know how the bike reacts to the cams tho. Well done for the self-experimentation... admirable.
 
Back
Top