Any interest in cams?

Eeeh, everyone keeps saying that for a reason. The thing is, CB is a very Jack-of-all-trades kind of bike, it's docile and mediocre all around. Which serves as an excellent blank canvas for whatever extreme you want to achieve. But once you start pushing it towards a specialized purpose, you quickly overextend all the other aspects of this bike. I'm not saying "don't do it", in fact, I love what you do and wish you to succeed. Some people go hog wild on suspension and handling, some turn it into a cross country tourer and someone even made a dog-friendly sidecar! But there are other bikes that built and sold with those goals in mind, and will out-race, out-tour, out-handle and out-sidecar-dog CB right out of the box. This is why most of us don't go to the extremes and enjoy our smooth-running, soft-suspension toys for what they are.

I bought a Ninja 600 for less than what it cost to get +20hp from a CB. It scratches my "go fast" itch. I'm buying a 1150RT with full luggage setup for less what it would take to similar outfit my CB1100 for touring. It makes sense to me. Other than not having space in the garage, I see no downsides! :D
 
Thread starter
Well, I’m making mine less mediocre. :)

It is now much more comfortable, faster, handles better, looks much better to me.

I agree there are plenty of specialized bikes that do one or 2 things well.

I like my army knife-


14f9151edc51e6191880fc822640b2c2.jpg





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
LikeAfox_imp said:
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.

My guess is the exhaust cam will work in the intake cam position.


LikeAfox_imp said:
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.

Once I see what I can get out of the bike, most likely I will also put a airbox snorkel back on and the stock header. I will need to switch the O2 bung on the stock car to fit the WBO2 sensor.



LikeAfox_imp said:
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.

Everyone keeps saying that, but there is no other motorcycle that ticks all the
boxes the CB does.







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a very good summary.
LikeAfox_imp said:
Eeeh, everyone keeps saying that for a reason. The thing is, CB is a very Jack-of-all-trades kind of bike, it's docile and mediocre all around. Which serves as an excellent blank canvas for whatever extreme you want to achieve. But once you start pushing it towards a specialized purpose, you quickly overextend all the other aspects of this bike. I'm not saying "don't do it", in fact, I love what you do and wish you to succeed. Some people go hog wild on suspension and handling, some turn it into a cross country tourer and someone even made a dog-friendly sidecar! But there are other bikes that built and sold with those goals in mind, and will out-race, out-tour, out-handle and out-sidecar-dog CB right out of the box. This is why most of us don't go to the extremes and enjoy our smooth-running, soft-suspension toys for what they are.

I bought a Ninja 600 for less than what it cost to get +20hp from a CB. It scratches my "go fast" itch. I'm buying a 1150RT with full luggage setup for less what it would take to similar outfit my CB1100 for touring. It makes sense to me. Other than not having space in the garage, I see no downsides! :D
A generally well written post, but cannot agree with docile and mediocre.

Most of my riding is long distance, which probably has a lot to do with why the original tires have lasted over 10,400 miles in the past 8 months. Also, I usually wait until second gear to go WOT.

Having ordered tire replacements, I have been riding for a couple days without concern for tire wear. Yesterday, I feathered the clutch in first and fishtailed beginning ~4K RPMs. Today, I let the clutch fully engage and got on it. The rear broke loose at ~4K RPMs...and it still has ample tread.

I would not describe that as docile, nor mediocre.

It is NOT a crotch rocket, but these are stock performance numbers:

86 HP @ 7500 RPM
65.6 ft lbs @ 5700 RPM
0-30 1.2 seconds
0-60 3.3 seconds
0-90 6.8 seconds
0-100 8.6 seconds
1/4 mile 12.11 seconds @ 109.25

It will do ~65 in first, ~85 in second and ~105 in third.
 
SportsterDoc, the power numbers are pretty mediocre for a $12,000 and 540 lbs motorcycle. This is Concourse, Bonneville and Super Tenere money. The new Triumph lineup, for example, creams the CB in every category and they drown in aftermarket options.

I'm not here to put CB down, but there is plenty of rabid favoritism on model-specific forum and it's best to take a step back and see pros and cons from a neutral perspective. The best way to do that is to ride as many different bikes as possible. Sign up for demo events and try to swap bikes with friends and family. I don't claim to be an expert, but we have swapped bikes within my rider group on the same trip, and then compared feedback.

How did the tires look at 10k miles? My rear was getting pretty flat at 6k miles and considering how crappy it was in the rain in general, I replaced it right there and then. What are your new tires?
 
LikeAfox_imp said:
SportsterDoc, the power numbers are pretty mediocre for a $12,000 and 540 lbs motorcycle. This is Concourse, Bonneville and Super Tenere money. The new Triumph lineup, for example, creams the CB in every category and they drown in aftermarket options.

I'm not here to put CB down, but there is plenty of rabid favoritism on model-specific forum and it's best to take a step back and see pros and cons from a neutral perspective. The best way to do that is to ride as many different bikes as possible. Sign up for demo events and try to swap bikes with friends and family. I don't claim to be an expert, but we have swapped bikes within my rider group on the same trip, and then compared feedback.

How did the tires look at 10k miles? My rear was getting pretty flat at 6k miles and considering how crappy it was in the rain in general, I replaced it right there and then. What are your new tires?
A new 2017 CB1100EX is available at my local dealer for $9,995.
MSRP on a still available new 2014 CB1100 standard is $10,399 and can be had for much less. I liked my Triumph Bonneville, but would prefer to not have a radiator.
LikeAfox_imp said:
SportsterDoc, the power numbers are pretty mediocre for a $12,000 and 540 lbs motorcycle. This is Concourse, Bonneville and Super Tenere money. The new Triumph lineup, for example, creams the CB in every category and they drown in aftermarket options.

I'm not here to put CB down, but there is plenty of rabid favoritism on model-specific forum and it's best to take a step back and see pros and cons from a neutral perspective. The best way to do that is to ride as many different bikes as possible. Sign up for demo events and try to swap bikes with friends and family. I don't claim to be an expert, but we have swapped bikes within my rider group on the same trip, and then compared feedback.

How did the tires look at 10k miles? My rear was getting pretty flat at 6k miles and considering how crappy it was in the rain in general, I replaced it right there and then. What are your new tires?
Most of us favor the torque of an in-line 4.
Most of us prefer air or air over oil cooling.
Most of us have a nostalgic interest.

I have no interest in anything other than a standard, sit up straight, mid-controls motorcycle. H-D stopped making a standard height Sportster, other than the Roadster; which I no longer find to be comfortable ergonomics.

Does not leave much else. I sat on the Kawasaki 900, and BMW R9T this week. I prefer the ergonomics of the CB.

There will always be a faster bike, car, truck.
LikeAfox_imp said:
SportsterDoc, the power numbers are pretty mediocre for a $12,000 and 540 lbs motorcycle. This is Concourse, Bonneville and Super Tenere money. The new Triumph lineup, for example, creams the CB in every category and they drown in aftermarket options.

I'm not here to put CB down, but there is plenty of rabid favoritism on model-specific forum and it's best to take a step back and see pros and cons from a neutral perspective. The best way to do that is to ride as many different bikes as possible. Sign up for demo events and try to swap bikes with friends and family. I don't claim to be an expert, but we have swapped bikes within my rider group on the same trip, and then compared feedback.

How did the tires look at 10k miles? My rear was getting pretty flat at 6k miles and considering how crappy it was in the rain in general, I replaced it right there and then. What are your new tires?
They look fine, but don't know how they will look coming back from a 700 mile trip early Sep, so preparing for replacement.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13053
 
One more point:
The CB1100 is a relatively low RPM motor, with an 8500 RPM redline.
It will accelerate quite well without going over 7,000 RPMs.
It does not need to be wound out for reasonable HP.
In addition to Honda's track record for durability, even if you want to cruise 110 MPH at ~5500 RPMs, it is a very durable motor.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
LikeAfox_imp said:
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.

My guess is the exhaust cam will work in the intake cam position.


LikeAfox_imp said:
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.

Once I see what I can get out of the bike, most likely I will also put a airbox snorkel back on and the stock header. I will need to switch the O2 bung on the stock car to fit the WBO2 sensor.



LikeAfox_imp said:
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.

Everyone keeps saying that, but there is no other motorcycle that ticks all the
boxes the CB does.







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a very good summary.
LikeAfox_imp said:
Eeeh, everyone keeps saying that for a reason. The thing is, CB is a very Jack-of-all-trades kind of bike, it's docile and mediocre all around. Which serves as an excellent blank canvas for whatever extreme you want to achieve. But once you start pushing it towards a specialized purpose, you quickly overextend all the other aspects of this bike. I'm not saying "don't do it", in fact, I love what you do and wish you to succeed. Some people go hog wild on suspension and handling, some turn it into a cross country tourer and someone even made a dog-friendly sidecar! But there are other bikes that built and sold with those goals in mind, and will out-race, out-tour, out-handle and out-sidecar-dog CB right out of the box. This is why most of us don't go to the extremes and enjoy our smooth-running, soft-suspension toys for what they are.

I bought a Ninja 600 for less than what it cost to get +20hp from a CB. It scratches my "go fast" itch. I'm buying a 1150RT with full luggage setup for less what it would take to similar outfit my CB1100 for touring. It makes sense to me. Other than not having space in the garage, I see no downsides! :D
A generally well written post, but cannot agree with docile and mediocre.

Most of my riding is long distance, which probably has a lot to do with why the original tires have lasted over 10,400 miles in the past 8 months. Also, I usually wait until second gear to go WOT.

Having ordered tire replacements, I have been riding for a couple days without concern for tire wear. Yesterday, I feathered the clutch in first and fishtailed beginning ~4K RPMs. Today, I let the clutch fully engage and got on it. The rear broke loose at ~4K RPMs...and it still has ample tread.

I would not describe that as docile, nor mediocre.

It is NOT a crotch rocket, but these are stock performance numbers:

86 HP @ 7500 RPM
65.6 ft lbs @ 5700 RPM
0-30 1.2 seconds
0-60 3.3 seconds
0-90 6.8 seconds
0-100 8.6 seconds
1/4 mile 12.11 seconds @ 109.25

It will do ~65 in first, ~85 in second and ~105 in third.
That is a very good summary.
LikeAfox_imp said:
Eeeh, everyone keeps saying that for a reason. The thing is, CB is a very Jack-of-all-trades kind of bike, it's docile and mediocre all around. Which serves as an excellent blank canvas for whatever extreme you want to achieve. But once you start pushing it towards a specialized purpose, you quickly overextend all the other aspects of this bike. I'm not saying "don't do it", in fact, I love what you do and wish you to succeed. Some people go hog wild on suspension and handling, some turn it into a cross country tourer and someone even made a dog-friendly sidecar! But there are other bikes that built and sold with those goals in mind, and will out-race, out-tour, out-handle and out-sidecar-dog CB right out of the box. This is why most of us don't go to the extremes and enjoy our smooth-running, soft-suspension toys for what they are.

I bought a Ninja 600 for less than what it cost to get +20hp from a CB. It scratches my "go fast" itch. I'm buying a 1150RT with full luggage setup for less what it would take to similar outfit my CB1100 for touring. It makes sense to me. Other than not having space in the garage, I see no downsides! :D
A generally well written post, but cannot agree with docile and mediocre.

Most of my riding is long distance, which probably has a lot to do with why the original tires have lasted over 10,400 miles in the past 8 months. Also, I usually wait until second gear to go WOT.

Having ordered tire replacements, I have been riding for a couple days without concern for tire wear. Yesterday, I feathered the clutch in first and fishtailed beginning ~4K RPMs. Today, I let the clutch fully engage and got on it. The rear broke loose at ~4K RPMs...and it still has ample tread.

I would not describe that as docile, nor mediocre.

It is NOT a crotch rocket, but these are stock performance numbers:

86 HP @ 7500 RPM
65.6 ft lbs @ 5700 RPM
0-30 1.2 seconds
0-60 3.3 seconds
0-90 6.8 seconds
0-100 8.6 seconds
1/4 mile 12.11 seconds @ 109.25

It will do ~65 in first, ~85 in second and ~105 in third. The message here is 60 to 90 takes 3.5 seconds, and 2 more to 100. This is a real problem on So Cal freeways.
 
Seriously? I spent 15 years in San Diego and the freeways then were gridlocked. The acceleration of a skateboard would have been more than adequate to merge into traffic.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Seriously? I spent 15 years in San Diego and the freeways then were gridlocked. The acceleration of a skateboard would have been more than adequate to merge into traffic.
The "concern" about 2 seconds from 90 to 100 must have been tongue in cheek. I would call my 2003 XLH883 Sportster mediocre, as it barely would do over 100...but it could clear the uphill freeway on-ramp near my last SoCal home at 90 and was quite satisfying in the canyons.

BTW, it is rare no need more than 90 to get around several cars, even on a 2 lane desert road.
 
Tolerance for speeding is so localized. Here, anything over about 75 mph (on a 65 mph freeway) will get you a justified visit from law enforcement. Most folks are generally content to clip along at the speed limit +/-, even in the #1 lane. But a lot of out of state drivers, of which I was one once, have a disregard for speed limits and considerably exceed normal traffic flow. It's dangerous, and actually kind of humorous.
 
I CANT WAIT for the results of this cam swap. The CB is an awesome platform to hotrod. Cuz ain’t that the best, getting as much juice you can out of something? Our bikes are just so dang cool compared to the super sports and sport standards out there for sale. I have my arrow coming next week, and that won’t be the end of it for me.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Tolerance for speeding is so localized. Here, anything over about 75 mph (on a 65 mph freeway) will get you a justified visit from law enforcement. Most folks are generally content to clip along at the speed limit +/-, even in the #1 lane. But a lot of out of state drivers, of which I was one once, have a disregard for speed limits and considerably exceed normal traffic flow. It's dangerous, and actually kind of humorous.
Keeping it somewhat close to the speed limit is wise.

Although out in the desert, 70 in a 55 may not result in a traffic stop.

When I do short bursts of speed, it is not sustained and in carefully chosen locations.
 
As to high speed performance of the CB 1100, we all know how we ride, and what we need. Just know that this a great back road bike, but not built for comfortable riding in heavy freeway traffic at 80 plus mph. It is not fun to ride this bike on a gridlocked freeway, or a fast freeway, and we do have both in So Cal.
 
Traveling from Las Vegas, NV to Cedar City, UT is ~170 miles. Most of the ~50 miles from St George to Cedar City is 80 MPH speed limit. It is fine cruising at 85, sans head-wind.
 
Thread starter
Here in NJ you can drive 80 in a 65 all day long right past the State Troopers. I do it on a daily basis. It is the normal flow of traffic until someone from PA starts camping and ruins the groove.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Here in NJ you can drive 80 in a 65 all day long right past the State Troopers. I do it on a daily basis. It is the normal flow of traffic until someone from PA starts camping and ruins the groove.
Hey!!! :rofl:
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Traveling from Las Vegas, NV to Cedar City, UT is ~170 miles. Most of the ~50 miles from St George to Cedar City is 80 MPH speed limit. It is fine cruising at 85, sans head-wind.

The 80 mph speed limit continues up I-15 to just south of Santaquin. Then it's 75. I've driven that stretch--I-15 to St. George at 85 mph. It's tolerable. No lack of power, but the wind at that speed gets tiring. I'd rather be going 65 on the state highways with way less traffic.
 
Cedar City is where I head east to Cedar Breaks (10,000 feet elevation) and then on to Duck Creek, then head south on highway 89 to the east entrance of Zion National Park...unless going to I70 to go to Colorado. Love SW Utah.
 
Back
Top