Any interest in cams?

Josh is that the input for the cnc grinder which then interpolates the rest of the cam heights and angles?
i had a go at graphing the ex lobe and although i know nothing about what you do i was able to get something that looked like a cam profile so i think i learned something.

It's always good to watch someone who is good at something do their thing, since you have some knowledge of valves etc. what is your opinion on measuring the gap if the lobe is not exactly 180 deg. away from the valve surface, i would assume that the bottom is ground in an even way and it would be fine to check the gap as long as the lobe faces about the other way, how critical is it, and is the cam in our cb1100 slightly off center so as to rotate the bucket every time the cam operates it thereby wearing an even pattern on the bucket and using more surface area ( less wear ) in the process?

cheers max
 
Thread starter
Max,

Like most things, I only know enough to be dangerous.

On my old computer I had software that I could create a chart to show the difference in cam profiles, but that is long gone.

I'll do a quick google around to see if I can find a freeware quick easy way to do that for you now.

Those numbers are basically when the valve opens and closes and how far.

For comparison here is the initial stock #'s the shop gave me (before they realized the split timing on the intake)- http://www.cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9608&pid=154178#pid154178


6b056f94c9231c137a2d070ed68565b6.gif
 
Excitement would mount, but the head valve cover has to come off first to fit the new cams. :thumbsup:

Be interested to see them beside the OEM.
 
watching with enthusiasm as you work through so much i really do not even understand. I know my mouth would have to be washed out with soap if i ever tore into this engine .......
 
Valve cover yes. Head, not so much!
 
Thread starter
I’ve had the valve cover off when I took off the black one and put on the one I stripped and brushed. No problem.

Probably won’t be tearing the bike down for these for 3-4 weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the head has to come off something went horribly wrong. :)

Lots of pics here that you can see the stock cams hiding in-

2014 Honda CB1100 E CB1100E Cylinderhead Cylinder Head ASSEMBLY 5K 12010-MGC-920 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/253439944660


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
I have to laugh at where this conversation has gone. Any vehicle with a motor and license plate (for general use) is the worst financial investment someone will make in there lives. You have a better chance making money on a penny stock than a motor vehicle purchase.

Having said that, these bikes have depreciated 50% already, modification will make no difference when where talking about a 5K sale.
Oh boy, that's for sure. I paid $12K OTD for mine, CA prices. Happy to do it. Even happier today. Just ordered a full Race-Tech treatment for the forks today, Gold Valves, springs, seals, bushings, labor. Gonna be great. Bike is not even worth 4 grand. So what? I'm lovin' it.
Oh boy, that's for sure. I paid $12K OTD for mine, CA prices. Happy to do it. Even happier today. Just ordered a full Race-Tech treatment for the forks today, Gold Valves, springs, seals, bushings, labor. Gonna be great. Bike is not even worth 4 grand. So what? I'm lovin' it.

Right on bro


2013 CB 1100
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
97372cedcc09e2c048a833c6284cfce7.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purty things Dubs.. hope they give you the power you were looking for. Never seen black ones before, only silver ones with polished lobes.
 
Those are some good lookin' bumpy sticks, PD! Can't wait to hear about the results.
 
Thread starter
That’s the skinny end of lobes on the intake (left hand cam).

Hope it works. It should have
no middle ground- either awesome or carnage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
After all this time we're hoping for awesome. :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
Im not sure who you used. If it wasn't crower, they may have been a good option as they love stuff like this. (if it goes south give them a try). if it was them, thats unusual.

as far as cams go on an otherwise stock motor, what josh is doing is absolutely great. the more in, the more out. im def excited to see this (after reading 14 pages).

on the last 4 stroke i hot rodded, which was a lowly grom, i could just eek out 80 MPH with a cam, exhaust, and a fuel controller. stock motor had under 9hp. adding a few ccs and a 4 valve head + a few other goodies, i can reliably hit 95 mph on it. why? because its fun. this is on a stock bottom end.

Im curious... has anybody tried swapping in an exhaust cam to the intake? (so you run 2 exhaust intakes)this was a popular mod on sv650s and yielded really good results. it left the exhaust cam lacking some, but retiming the cams made it work ok with dif. sprockets. but might give an easier gain.

just late night rambling. def watching with interest. keep up the good work.

I have not heard of anyone trying that on this bike, but I know people that have done it on some cars.

Visually comparing both cams sitting next to each other, to me it looks like this would work on this engine as well.

Would probably be a cheap easy way for someone to both get more power/tq and also get straight cam timing instead of the factory stagger that many seem to want.
 
Powerdubs, keep that cam shop a secret. I see a business opportunity for you if all this works :)
 
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.
 
LikeAfox_imp said:
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.
It rips at ~3,800 up. Yesterday, heading back to the Honda dealer to order a tire, knowing that the rear would be replaced in a week or two, I feathered the clutch instead of giving it full throttle after full engagement. The rear has 10,400 miles on it, but it is still fully legal. At about 30-40 MPH (was not watching speedo) it lost full traction and mildly fishtailed.
LikeAfox_imp said:
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.
Twitch? Pls describe
 
Thread starter
LikeAfox_imp said:
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.

My guess is the exhaust cam will work in the intake cam position.


LikeAfox_imp said:
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.

Once I see what I can get out of the bike, most likely I will also put a airbox snorkel back on and the stock header. I will need to switch the O2 bung on the stock car to fit the WBO2 sensor.



LikeAfox_imp said:
Just found this excellent thread. Great work PowerDubs!

My personal preference for custom grind, would be to smooth out the vibration and add more midrange torque. Then tune out the low rpm throttle twitch and adjust for 12.5-13 afr. Factory airbox and header because I want it quiet.

For anything else, it's cheaper to just buy another motorcycle.

Everyone keeps saying that, but there is no other motorcycle that ticks all the
boxes the CB does.







Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top