Salt Lake City had a huge BMW get together over the weekend. Besides local owners that may account for the unusually high number of sightings as they make their way back home.
I met a motorcycle sales guy last week in Evanston, WY. He was riding his K1600 to what he described as a massive Beemer owners rally in Salt Lake City. I think it ended a few days ago.
Interestingly, the guy quizzed me for about half an hour about the CB1100. He wanted to know what it was that I liked about it, as he didn't really know how to sell them. I told him the primary appeal will be to older riders that want a UJM style liter bike like they used to make. Someone looking for a sportbike, cruiser or sport tourer would likely have zero interest in the CB11.
I went to my first BMW MOA rally last year in Hamburg, NY. Well-organized event with good food and great music, and an excellent vendor area. There were awesome prize giveaways too. I felt a bit like outcast as a relative newcomer to the sport on my diminutive F800GT...most participants were grizzled old BMW lifers with millions of miles on their boxers (in both the engine and underpants connotations) who all knew each other and spent time comparing their 35-year-and-counting patch collections. But the ones I met in my camping area were very welcoming and lent me things like a hammer to drive my tent stakes into the rock-hard NY fairgrounds soil.