Anti lock brakes

Mikestib1_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I always consider Honda the most advanced engineering motorcycle company. Just Wondering why all BMW motorcycles from the G310 to the K1600 have anti lock brakes standard? I guess Honda is waiting for a government mandate to do the smart thing. Granted they are not necessary in all conditions, but they sure are a great aid in the rain. I think it rains everywhere and all of us get caught in it. It would not cost that much if they put it on all their motorcycles. It's amazing that cars which I always considered behind in technology have anti lock as well as traction control. I'll take any edge I can get
 
I can't speak for BMW, but it's simply how they have chosen to position their bikes in the marketplace. Besides, ABS is now mandatory in their home market, so it makes sense that their bikes come standard with it.
 
Thread starter
Guess Honda can but them on their bikes in the EU but us Yanks need to wait. Total insanity. Or maybe in the US we don't need them ? Shame on Honda. BMW gives anti lock brakes standard in the US. So what is Honda doing
 
Does Honda offer any '16 or '17 street bikes in the U.S. without the option of ABS?

Mike, until just a few years ago, ABS was an option on most BMW's, usually for an additional $800-$1000, depending on model. However, nearly all of the bikes that were brought into the US came fully loaded from the factory, so buyers paid up for ABS whether they wanted it or not. Today, ABS comes standard and the MSRP reflects it. I just wish centerstands were standard, instead of an option!
 
Oh good it's been a month and a half since we had a good ABS discussion lol
 
Thread starter
Heck I just want anti lock brakes standard. Like the 1992 St1100 had 25 years ago which my 2013 CB1100 lacks. No wanting an ultimate motorcycle, just a very common technology that it seems the bean counters have taken over. No there's no excuse on a $10000 bike. I'm done this is getting off point.
 
Honda offers ABS on a lot of their bikes as an option so they are letting the buyer decide. It was always an option on the ST1100 and ST1300. My '13 CB has ABS but my '08 ST1300 does not. The latter was my choice. I could have looked and waited for an ST with ABS but they are rare and priced higher so decided to go with low mileage ST w/o ABS.
 
Pete Erickson_imp said:
The EU requires that all motorcycles over 125cc be equipped with anti-lock brakes. That is why BMW has them.
BMW was the first who built ABS in a motorcycle. That was the K100 in the year 1988. It was optional and cost 1,980 DM extra.

1991 Yamaha came out with the first ABS for the FJ1200, 1992 Honda followed with the first ABS for the ST 1100.

Since 2013 every new BMW motorcycle has ABS built in.

I got this information from the German wiki:
Antiblockiersystem für Motorräder – Wikipedia
 
Mikestib1_imp said:
Heck I just want anti lock brakes standard. Like the 1992 St1100 had 25 years ago which my 2013 CB1100 lacks. No wanting an ultimate motorcycle, just a very common technology that it seems the bean counters have taken over. No there's no excuse on a $10000 bike. I'm done this is getting off point.
What's wrong with it being an option (such as it was on the 2013 CB1100)? If you want to pay the extra $1K for it, you have that option. I chose not to spend the extra cash on a feature that I didn't want.
 
I think what's wrong with offering it as an extra cost option is that motorcycle riders aren't treated with respect. It's not an option on autos anymore, it shouldn't be an option on motorcycles. It's like they're saying us motorcyclists are just a bunch out enjoying a hobby and aren't to be taken seriously, so no need to worry too much about THEM.

BMW was an industry leader in ABS and included it on many many models since at least 15 years ago, and on some models before then. They not only developed and applied it, they perfected it. Look at H-D. They came to the ABS party later, and it was a failure. They had to actually stop offering it on their bikes after they started to and needed a few more years to get it right.
 
Many polls have said Americans don't particularly want ABS on their motorcycles (although that is beginning to change). Particularly Harley riders (who don't want liquid cooling either), but many motorcyclists feel they have the skills to ride without the electronic aid, and that it is an unnecessary expense. Some are vehemently against ABS. We have some on this forum.

They are also against rider training, Hi-Viz gear, Full face helmets (heck any helmets), armored gear, speed laws, quiet exhaust.. almost anything that someone thinks is better or safer for them.
 
I believe that someone told me that all new Triumphs come with ABS as standard equipment. Is that correct?
 
Back
Top