Another really nice "modern retro" from Honda

That's just lovely, Mansie. Do you also have a CB1100?
 
Hi Cormanus, no I don't have a CB1100 but I would like to have one...
My other bike is a 1999 Honda Deauville NT650V. I use this for the all-weather commute and touring.
I am pushing my luck with 2 bikes. Add another bike and I will be in trouble :-(
 
Mansie_imp said:
Hi Cormanus, no I don't have a CB1100 but I would like to have one...
My other bike is a 1999 Honda Deauville NT650V. I use this for the all-weather commute and touring.
I am pushing my luck with 2 bikes. Add another bike and I will be in trouble :-(
Mate, buy a CB. It's a great all rounder. With the right gear it eats the Deauville as a tourer, in all weather. Please don't be offended when I tell you I have a mate who tells me that when he wants to catch up on his sleep he rolls out the Deauville. :)

Just do it. Ditch the Deauville and do it. BUY!

Cheers
 
I respectfully disagree. The CB is waaay more fun to ride than the Deauville in many ways, but if I was taking a trip for a couple of days, I probably wouldn't choose the CB. The Deauville would be plenty comfortable and the wind wouldn't be pushing me backward in the seat, and I'd also have storage for things like clothes and a toothbrush.
 
Yep, I have one of these, the only one I've seen in Ireland. I've been told they are a celebration edition and only 200 were made. Not sure about that but I have been having trouble finding info on them from an insurance and maintenance point of view.
Beautiful bike to ride, get you anywhere in reasonable comfort, bit heavy on the juice but that's most likely me. Gets lots of attention at rallies. Think I'll hang on to this one.
 
Thread starter
Nice Gerry! Maybe post some photos if you get a chance.

I'd forgotten all about this thread, thanks for the reminder.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I respectfully disagree. The CB is waaay more fun to ride than the Deauville in many ways, but if I was taking a trip for a couple of days, I probably wouldn't choose the CB. The Deauville would be plenty comfortable and the wind wouldn't be pushing me backward in the seat, and I'd also have storage for things like clothes and a toothbrush.
I prefer my CB to anything else for touring, because: (a) it keeps me on interesting back roads with lower speeds, better corners, and more to see (and off the freeway), and (b) throwing on a $100 set of soft saddlebags (and maybe strapping a tent and sleeping bag on the passenger seat) means clothes and toothbrush have a place to go. Granted, I have less room for stuff, and I have to watch for rain. The plastic rain covers work for a drizzle, but not full-on downpour. But who wants to ride in a full-on downpour? Touring on a CB to me means I'm connected to my surroundings and the weather in a very intimate way. It means less mileage per day, but way more fun.

OTOH, if I had somewhere far away to get to, and needed to burn some miles and state-lines pronto, a touring bike is nice. We live in a big country, with a really fast Interstate system -- it's just a really fast, BORING Interstate system.
On the original post: in 2000 I rode a CB400 all over England, Wales, Scotland when I was in the UK for school. The engine looked like the pictured bike, but the rest of the bike looked somewhat modern (~ NT650 Hawk styling). It was a zippy motor, but...the whole time I yearned for the grunt of my long-suffering '79 CB650 that was home in Portland waiting for me. I can't get over how much I like our CB1100 motors -- torquey, zippy, sedate or howling. I feel really lucky to have the CB, and all 1100 of her cc's!
 
davidantoniocostarica_imp said:
Very cool, old style
I had one when I lived in Japan. A 1998 CB400 four - it's still in great shape and being looked after by a friend in Chiba. It was the perfect ride for Japanese roads. I had several bikes there and I still miss it.
 
G'day and welcome, Jef. Are you now a CB1100 owner? Or an aspirant?
 
Ah, well, good luck in your search.
 
Thread starter
Jef, that's one nifty little bike. Thanks for sharing the photo! Best of luck with your CB1100 search.
 
Back
Top