Another High Idle Problem

Thread starter
Follow up.... Spoke to my shop. The reset procedure that PB was so gracious to detail above was (effectively) done on my ECU when they swapped it to the other bike. The values were all reset before trying my unit on the other bike. So, for good or bad, I'm getting the new ECU.

Also, they misquoted the cost on Saturday. They are charging me a little over $500 for the new ECU and no additional labor to install it. I don't know exactly, but I think they're charging me a couple hours of labor for the diagnostics including the test swap. I suppose that they could have just done the PeterBaron test and skipped the swap out, but I'm ok with their process as it's pretty rare to have the ECU fail and they wanted to isolate the problem to the ECU.

So 1 new ECU and 2 new tires and a repair cost approximately equal to 25% of the bike's value. I must really love my CB1100. LOL
 
Glad to hear you are happy and the CB is back to your possession :thumbsup:

P.S. dont't worry about the cost, we all go through it :)
 
As Willy Nelson used to croon.. "ON THE ROAD AGAIN"

You have to be happy about that
 
Thread starter
Still waiting on the new ECU to be delivered. Hope to have the bike back later today or tomorrow. Then I have to ride my cuss off to get back on track for 183 days and 15,000 miles.
 
Thread starter
Stilllllll waaaaaaaitinggggggggg! The sunny days are the hardest.

If the part arrives today, I’ll be riding this weekend. If it doesn’t, then it will be at least Tuesday before I can ride again. ugh.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Follow up.... Spoke to my shop. The reset procedure that PB was so gracious to detail above was (effectively) done on my ECU when they swapped it to the other bike. The values were all reset before trying my unit on the other bike. So, for good or bad, I'm getting the new ECU.

Also, they misquoted the cost on Saturday. They are charging me a little over $500 for the new ECU and no additional labor to install it. I don't know exactly, but I think they're charging me a couple hours of labor for the diagnostics including the test swap. I suppose that they could have just done the PeterBaron test and skipped the swap out, but I'm ok with their process as it's pretty rare to have the ECU fail and they wanted to isolate the problem to the ECU.

So 1 new ECU and 2 new tires and a repair cost approximately equal to 25% of the bike's value. I must really love my CB1100. LOL

Hey Matt!
Glad you got tour bike back on the road. Never easy to dump money on unanticipated repair costs. Early this year I had to replace a rear tire on my Goldwing due to a screw in the sidewall...right after the PA rally. Tire had less than 2,000 less miles...about 10,000 sooner that normal.
Two things to remember:

(1) “There are no pockets in a casket”.

And

(2) “ I never saw a hearse pulling a U-haul”

Move on and enjoy the next ride!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Dang MTC, at this point the whole ECU debacle has almost taken a backseat to the actual amount of waiting involved. I hope that you're back out riding (weather permitting) sooner rather than later.
 
Thread starter
aaaaannd He’s Back!!! Picked it up tonight, rode it to get my hair cut and to see some of the holiday-decorated homes around home. A little poorer in the wallet a little richer in my heart.
 
I am glad that your bike is back , I saved a lot of money by not having had a hair cut for over 3 years , all money saved went on my bikes !
 
Awesome MTC!! Glad it worked out ok.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
aaaaannd He’s Back!!! Picked it up tonight, rode it to get my hair cut and to see some of the holiday-decorated homes around home. A little poorer in the wallet a little richer in my heart.
Awesome..I'll bet you forgot all about the money by the time you hit 4th gear

Like Houtman (only the opposite reason), I save all my haircut money over the last several years for gas and tires
 
Thread starter
I have no practical use for going to the barber, much like I have no practical use for a motorcycle. Like riding, though, I find a kind of peace in going to the barber; the routine of it, the old fashioned feel (and smell) of my barbershop, the fact that my barber has a cold beer in the fridge for me (unless I ride to the shop). It’s probably a waste of money on paper, but it’s a good value for my soul...just like my CB1100.
 
Back
Top