Another Driving Light thread (Black Oak LED)

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
I finally found a driving/spot light to use on the dark roads when riding xcountry. I previously tried two DENALI D2 2.0 LED (Cree XPL HI, 2190 Lumens, 525ft beam) at $250 which failed to be any better than my PIA H4 Extreme headlight. I purchased the Black Oak Light Pod (Cree XM-L2, 3120 lumen, 700 meter beam) at $110 and mounted to my mirror with Ram mounts. Its awesome, plus only need to put in on the RAM mount if riding at night -and- i can use that mount for my GoPro during day. In practice it only illuminates the road for 300ft, about twice as far as my headlight, but it is crisp illumination, not the faint lighting like my Denali. Will try to get some night pics to add to this.
8c61ad6db1e32bc3ebcc15a467c0c399.jpg
66f5c96a02bf7bbfd4f3f5326b647828.jpg
fa8c5fa1b491421d3e509087d8fa27e9.jpg
65c141c4f11593cc556143dd36081554.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Nice work bflint.
 
Notice any light bouncing across the road in front of you? My phone is mounted on a double socket like that on an X-grip, and jitters around a lot. I can only imagine how susceptible something would be to vibration with the double socket, in addition to being mounted on a mirror stalk.
 
My BMW has a couple of round lights mounted down low on the forks, just above the axle. When I'm behind other riders, I notice they all slow down, cause the light pattern resembles local LEOs.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Where did you have the first ‘bad’ lights mounted?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Denali's mounted on each side of front fender (using existing fender mount bolt holes). People/animals could see me from far off, but I could not see them ... functioned more as a "please don't hit me illumination" light.
whizzle_dizzler_imp said:
Notice any light bouncing across the road in front of you? My phone is mounted on a double socket like that on an X-grip, and jitters around a lot. I can only imagine how susceptible something would be to vibration with the double socket, in addition to being mounted on a mirror stalk.
Mirror is solidly attached, so addon mount assy is solid also. See some visible jitters when on rough road, but nothing out of ordinary. Anything mounted on the motorcycle has the jitters of some type ... its just how much. Once again, any light beam movement mostly unnoticable. :) PS ... I am tickled pink to know that I can now see what's out in front of me during night rides.
 
Where’s your sense of adventure, bflint? :D
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Where’s your sense of adventure, bflint? :D
yeah ... I’m a wimp ... motocross friends in 1970s thought I was wimpy also because I would not do jumps ... broke me arm on XL250 when I hit a Little Rock ... I know my limits. ... still want to do CB1100 wheelies but. ...
0dc45e0f3e0277d4cc5cc583dadb81e6.png






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
A man's got to know his limitations. ;)
 
bflint_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Where did you have the first ‘bad’ lights mounted?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Denali's mounted on each side of front fender (using existing fender mount bolt holes). People/animals could see me from far off, but I could not see them ... functioned more as a "please don't hit me illumination" light.
whizzle_dizzler_imp said:
Notice any light bouncing across the road in front of you? My phone is mounted on a double socket like that on an X-grip, and jitters around a lot. I can only imagine how susceptible something would be to vibration with the double socket, in addition to being mounted on a mirror stalk.
Mirror is solidly attached, so addon mount assy is solid also. See some visible jitters when on rough road, but nothing out of ordinary. Anything mounted on the motorcycle has the jitters of some type ... its just how much. Once again, any light beam movement mostly unnoticable. :) PS ... I am tickled pink to know that I can now see what's out in front of me during night rides.

Wouldn't it stand to reason that if they were up at the same height as the new light- they should perform better?
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Where did you have the first ‘bad’ lights mounted?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Denali's mounted on each side of front fender (using existing fender mount bolt holes). People/animals could see me from far off, but I could not see them ... functioned more as a "please don't hit me illumination" light.
whizzle_dizzler_imp said:
Notice any light bouncing across the road in front of you? My phone is mounted on a double socket like that on an X-grip, and jitters around a lot. I can only imagine how susceptible something would be to vibration with the double socket, in addition to being mounted on a mirror stalk.
Mirror is solidly attached, so addon mount assy is solid also. See some visible jitters when on rough road, but nothing out of ordinary. Anything mounted on the motorcycle has the jitters of some type ... its just how much. Once again, any light beam movement mostly unnoticable. :) PS ... I am tickled pink to know that I can now see what's out in front of me during night rides.

Wouldn't it stand to reason that if they were up at the same height as the new light- they should perform better?
Was hoping no one would notice :) I thought about that also, after the fact, but wasn't going to reinstall the twin denalis to find out. Also, this Black Oak light pod has more led's and better distance specs, so I think the denalis wouldn't perform nearly as well ... but your height observation is correct :)
 
Back
Top