Anatomy of a Craig's List Deal Going Sideways

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
So, this morning I got bored waiting for my turn to talk during the weekly conference call, and was cruising Craig's List as I like to do. Found an oddly good deal on a Honda that would be a great starter bike for Mrs. Gone. Mind you, we haven't gotten past the "I think I might want to think about riding" phase.

I text her the listing, and she asks a bunch of questions - would it fit in the garage, what would the insurance and annual registration cost, etc. I tell her everything will be so cheap, we wouldn't even notice, of course. She sounded hesitant, but said that if it was such a great deal, that I should at least investigate it.

What made it particularly attractive was that it was within fifteen minutes of my office, so it wouldn't be a huge time-suck to at least go look at it. The ad said it ran perfectly, had a clean title, and current registration.

Conversation 1:
Ad says it runs perfectly. Is that true?
Well, we lost the keys...
When did it last run?
About two years ago.
Ok, let me think.

Conversation 2:
We found the keys!
Huh.
And it runs perfectly!
Hasn't started in two years, but it runs perfectly?
Yes!

Conversation 3:
I'd like to at least come look at it, if that's ok.
Well, now that we have the keys, we're only entertaining serious people who are willing to pay full cash price. No discounts!
I'm a serious buyer if, like your ad says, the title is clean, and the registration is current.
Well... it's so old that it's probably out of the system by now, I think. Let me go look to see if I have the paperwork, and I'll call you back.
By the way, are you bringing a truck?
Why do I need a truck if it runs perfectly and is registered?

...Ya know what, don't bother. Thanks anyway!
 
Brilliant, Gone. Thanks for sharing.
 
Arguing the price is the last thing a seller should do, not the first.

I sometimes respond to CL ads for mildly-customized HD’s. The first thing I ask is if they still have the stock exhaust. Invariably, the answer is “no,” followed by “WTH would you want it?!” End of conversation.
 
Arguing price is the last thing the BUYER should do.

I won't even answer someone that tries to lowball as part of their first email.

Ask questions sure... but if you are a serious buyer- come look at the product- talk price once the small talk is done.

And yea- I got rid of my stock exhaust on pretty much anything I've ever had. :)
 
Thread starter
HaHa! So, I told my wife I'd be withdrawing the cash, but then texted her shortly afterwards and said that I got a bad vibe and put the money back in the bank.

She just now texted me: "Nothing bad happened, right?! Nobody touched you, right?!"
 
It is getting so hard these days to sell things on CL. There are so many scammers trying to get your personal info, it becomes pretty risking for the seller.

We listed our BMW X5 on CL about a year ago, had the listing up for 3 days and every person that reached out asked us for Mobile number, address and bank name so they could prepare to send us a check. We gave none of that info out, and on day three our bank called asking about suspicious activity with our bank account. When my wife told the bank we were trying to sell a car on CL, the bank rep said "Oh honey, you need to take that add down. We've deflected six individual attempts to access your account. People are finding your personal info somehow through the add." Add came down, and hack attempts stopped immediately.

We had three people claim they wanted to send us a check immediately if we could deliver the car through their preferred delivery service. WTH?

It's crazy how much this stuff happens...:dodgy:
 
I must be getting lucky...I've sold four motorcycles via CL and bought three, have sold and bought some other items the last few years. If I recall right, no red flags, just straightforward questions, reasonable "will you take $___ for it?" offers, and either I counter with an in-between number or accept their offer. I think there were a couple of "no-shows", but no big deal. Everything I've tried to sell has sold within a week, prolly because I think I start with attractive, fair prices. But good to be reminded to keep your wits about you.
 
I have experienced the "write cheque item unseen" a few times. That is the first flags and I always terminate the communication. Commonsense for a used motorcycle shopper is, " ... let me see the goods first ... ", and then the invariable, " ... can I test ride." But I digress.

I believe we collectively here at the CB1100 Forum have shared enough experience to help thwart future attempts of fraud. Let's keep sharing.

Finally, I usually exhale and emotionally become vacuous when the other ends asks, " ... and so what is the lowest you will go?" (really, unbelievable)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I have experienced the "write cheque item unseen" a few times. That is the first flags and I always terminate the communication. Commonsense for a used motorcycle shopper is, " ... let me see the goods first ... ", and then the invariable, " ... can I test ride." But I digress.

I believe we collectively here at the CB1100 Forum have shared enough experience to help thwart future attempts of fraud. Let's keep sharing.

Finally, I usually exhale and emotionally become vacuous when the other ends asks, " ... and so what is the lowest you will go?" (really, unbelievable)

Immediately ask them what's the highest they will go beyond your asking price.
 
Here in Switzerland there are two types of behaviour that I find really annoying when it comes to buyers responding to ads posted in the internet.

1. The potential buyer sends a text message saying they will take the item for a price which is almost half of what is being asked.
2. You talk to a potential buyer, and the first thing they ask is what is my lowest price.

Having sold a number of things over the net I have experienced both of these on a very regular basis.

A couple of years ago I was selling my Moto Morini Corsaro. This is a pretty special bike, and certainly not something for an inexperienced rider. Due to this I was being cautious about who would end up buying, wanting to get know the potential buyer a bit before selling to be sure that it would end up with somebody who understood what they were buying. I think I was asking for something like $ 7’000 for the bike, and I get a text message from a guy saying he would take it for $ 4’000. I texted back to him that he had not even seen the bike, and that he really should take the time to actually look at the bike before making any kind of offer. Surprisingly he wrote back saying that I was right, and he asked if he could come to see it a couple of days later.

The guy shows up, after having taken a 2 hour train ride, and is instantly impressed by the bike and the shape it was in. We get to talking for a while, and I soon realize that he has indeed done his homework about the Corsaro. I let him take it for a test spin, and when he comes back he had a huge smile on his face. He calls his brother for advice and even though he was talking in German (I live in the French speaking part of Switzerland) I could understand that he was completely hooked. After his call, he agrees to pay me the amount I was asking, and soon left as a happy buyer. So, even if this one began the wrong way, it actually worked out!

As for those asking for my lowest price, I usually answer that it is my asking price. If they are indeed serious, they will come to check it out before making any kind of offer.
 
Henrik_imp said:
Here in Switzerland there are two types of behaviour that I find really annoying when it comes to buyers responding to ads posted in the internet.

1. The potential buyer sends a text message saying they will take the item for a price which is almost half of what is being asked.
2. You talk to a potential buyer, and the first thing they ask is what is my lowest price.

Having sold a number of things over the net I have experienced both of these on a very regular basis.

A couple of years ago I was selling my Moto Morini Corsaro. This is a pretty special bike, and certainly not something for an inexperienced rider. Due to this I was being cautious about who would end up buying, wanting to get know the potential buyer a bit before selling to be sure that it would end up with somebody who understood what they were buying. I think I was asking for something like $ 7’000 for the bike, and I get a text message from a guy saying he would take it for $ 4’000. I texted back to him that he had not even seen the bike, and that he really should take the time to actually look at the bike before making any kind of offer. Surprisingly he wrote back saying that I was right, and he asked if he could come to see it a couple of days later.

The guy shows up, after having taken a 2 hour train ride, and is instantly impressed by the bike and the shape it was in. We get to talking for a while, and I soon realize that he has indeed done his homework about the Corsaro. I let him take it for a test spin, and when he comes back he had a huge smile on his face. He calls his brother for advice and even though he was talking in German (I live in the French speaking part of Switzerland) I could understand that he was completely hooked. After his call, he agrees to pay me the amount I was asking, and soon left as a happy buyer. So, even if this one began the wrong way, it actually worked out!

As for those asking for my lowest price, I usually answer that it is my asking price. If they are indeed serious, they will come to check it out before making any kind of offer.
A story many of us can related.

Very good story Henrik.
 
Henrik_imp said:
Here in Switzerland there are two types of behaviour that I find really annoying when it comes to buyers responding to ads posted in the internet.

1. The potential buyer sends a text message saying they will take the item for a price which is almost half of what is being asked.
2. You talk to a potential buyer, and the first thing they ask is what is my lowest price.

Having sold a number of things over the net I have experienced both of these on a very regular basis.

A couple of years ago I was selling my Moto Morini Corsaro. This is a pretty special bike, and certainly not something for an inexperienced rider. Due to this I was being cautious about who would end up buying, wanting to get know the potential buyer a bit before selling to be sure that it would end up with somebody who understood what they were buying. I think I was asking for something like $ 7’000 for the bike, and I get a text message from a guy saying he would take it for $ 4’000. I texted back to him that he had not even seen the bike, and that he really should take the time to actually look at the bike before making any kind of offer. Surprisingly he wrote back saying that I was right, and he asked if he could come to see it a couple of days later.

The guy shows up, after having taken a 2 hour train ride, and is instantly impressed by the bike and the shape it was in. We get to talking for a while, and I soon realize that he has indeed done his homework about the Corsaro. I let him take it for a test spin, and when he comes back he had a huge smile on his face. He calls his brother for advice and even though he was talking in German (I live in the French speaking part of Switzerland) I could understand that he was completely hooked. After his call, he agrees to pay me the amount I was asking, and soon left as a happy buyer. So, even if this one began the wrong way, it actually worked out!

As for those asking for my lowest price, I usually answer that it is my asking price. If they are indeed serious, they will come to check it out before making any kind of offer.
Definitely not unique to Switzerland, I too have experienced this same thing, quite often I might add, in the US.

My recent purchase of my CB occurred after months of researching bikes on the web, hanging out on this forum, watching prices online and what not. When the bike I bought came up, I called the owner and talked about the bike with him for about an hour. At the end of the call, I told the seller "I see no issues with your price, it seems priced right considering the miles, condition and is the best price I've seen on the web so far." I showed up, handed him a cashiers check with no haggling. I was asked by so many friend "Did you get him down any on price?" What gives? The bike was priced very fairly and was exactly as advertised. I was very happy with the price and bike, why negotiate and risk souring the exchange?

I guess some people just enjoy the haggling process?
 
Se people do enjoy haggling, for them it's all about the haggle, it's like a drug. Many will not be interested in the item you are selling, they will just get in touch to haggle.
Others are fishing for a deal on an item they can move, resell quickly for a profit - it's a good days work. Any used cars salesman will tell you that the profit is never in the price you sell the car for, but in the price you buy it for.
Here the culture is all about bargaining, it's so deeply rooted that asking price always allows for space to negotiate, and if someone just wants to pay what you are asking it's perfectly normal to be suspicious of the person, some may even back out of a sale in that case.

For the rest of us it comes to value, and value is personal, price seldom reflects value.


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Just recently I sold my perfect 2017 CB 1100 , some calls " will you take less than you are asking ? " I always say NO but I will take more and if you see the bike you will pay more ! Asking about price first is a sign of a no deal . If he says I have to talk to my wife I tell them to get a different wife first before you buy a bike.
 
tod.branko_imp said:
Se people do enjoy haggling, for them it's all about the haggle, it's like a drug. Many will not be interested in the item you are selling, they will just get in touch to haggle.
Others are fishing for a deal on an item they can move, resell quickly for a profit - it's a good days work. Any used cars salesman will tell you that the profit is never in the price you sell the car for, but in the price you buy it for.
Here the culture is all about bargaining, it's so deeply rooted that asking price always allows for space to negotiate, and if someone just wants to pay what you are asking it's perfectly normal to be suspicious of the person, some may even back out of a sale in that case.

For the rest of us it comes to value, and value is personal, price seldom reflects value.


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
I was going to say that for many it's a cultural thing. But there are those that just like to haggle as well. For me when buying I figure if you don't ask you won't get. I try not to be insulting but I figure out what it's worth to me and then typically offer a little less hoping the negotiation will land me where I think it's fair. When selling I don't get offended. If they're offering a ridiculous price I just say no. As Henrick experienced you never know where it's going to go as long as there is communication.
 
Tod, for having lived several years in the Middle East, I fully understand that it really is a cultural thing as well. Like in Beirut I would always settle for the price of a taxi ride before the trip. Taxi meter? What? Sure they had them, but better to not use them. In regular shops it was much the same, prices may be indicated, but if they were it was really only just an indication... Saudi Arabia was much the same too, but then again this was many years ago. It may be different now.
 
Thread starter
Price negotiation wasn't the reason I dropped interest in the bike. It was the self-destruction of the depiction of the bike during the conversations... "It runs perfectly/there's no key and it hasn't run in two years/no, wait, there is a key and it's perfect", followed by "It's registered/we don't have paperwork", then "It runs perfect but bring a truck".

Craig's List, Offer-Up and FB Marketplace are basically hobbies of mine. Prior to spending many years in the advertising business, I was an insurance fraud investigator. So, my career went from trying to detect B.S. to creating B.S. Public online selling platforms represent the great unwashed masses, trying to get us to buy stuff. I buy and sell equipment for my company, car and motorycle parts, and have bought and sold several cars and motorcycles on Craig's List in particular.

I look at listings, and would like to think that I can spot something that isn't right. The listings for my current CB and Bonneville both basically said "Practically new but not ridden, and I need to get it out of my garage." Plain, simple and honest, and I enjoyed the transactions for both machines.

Sometimes I'm not perfect... the listing for the bike in question here has been pulled down, but I had sent it to my wife before I advanced to "contact the seller" step. After I got home last night, I told her the story about how things got more and more weird the more I spoke with the seller. She said "I'm surprised you bothered to go to the bank after "It runs perfectly/there's no key and it hasn't run in two years/no, wait, there is a key and it's perfect" That should have tripped your B.S. Detector!"
 
Back
Top