Altrnative to grip replacement.

meowguy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
As many of you have stated, the grips on the CB provide no cushion at all to the palm and wrist, but I simply did not want to replace the grips. I found a very neat alternative in the July issue of RIDER. They are called "Original Grip Buddies Super Sharkskin Neoprene Grip" wraps.

These simply wrap around your existing grip and provide several advantages. They are easily removed restoring the bike to stock configuration. They increase the circumference of the grip giving the operator a better mechanical advantage on the throttle, and they provide a soft cushion to isolate vibration and road shock from the palm and wrist. If you install heated grips, which is what these were developed for, the heat will easily pass through the wrap to your hands.

Honest, I don't work for these guys, these are my own thoughts as I installed them this morning. Now I can wear my summer riding gloves without fear of carpal tunnel syndrome. Very easy, whole thing takes about 5 minutes. Just type in "grip buddies" in Google. Order for ST-1300 to fit the CB1100. Here is a picture of mine.

 
I'd be interested in these, not so much for the shock absorption but because I've gotten used to the bigger grips that fit 1" handlebars and prefer them. thanks !
 
Thread starter
I had her out on a 30 mile trip today and the increased control of the throttle with thicker grip was noticed immediately, not to mention comfort at last in my summer gloves with no tingling at 65 mph. You would not think an increase on only 8mm in the diameter of the throttle would yield that much finer control, but shifts were smoother and starts more controlled.

If doing a straight grip replacement I should think you would want a grip similar in size. My diameter is now approx. 40mm, my glove size is large.
 
I don't have any issues with the factory grips but after your picture and description and a look at the website, I'm going to try these out.

Thanks!
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
I don't have any issues with the factory grips but after your picture and description and a look at the website, I'm going to try these out.

Thanks!
I think you will be pleasantly surprised. It makes riding the bike a whole new experience in terms of comfort for your hands and wrists. while adding more precise control of the throttle.
 
Installed them today on the Oxford Grip Heaterz that I installed today also. Heaterz work fine and the Grip buddies feel great. Also the heat does work fine with them.
Gas mileage: I have 4000 miles on my CB and have never gotten lower than 50 mpg. As the engine seated in the mileage has risen to 55 mpg. I never would have believed it if it wasn't happening to me. What a bike!
 
gcarper - you're getting outstanding mileage. I'm happy in the hi-40s.

I installed grip buddies this morning. Very easy. Took the wife on a 50 mile ride to try them out. I really didn't have an issue with the stock grips, but these were comfortable and filled the hands a little better. In fact I didn't notice them most of the time my wife and I spent getting lost and approaching the same remote intersection from 3 different directions.

In terms of asthetics, I would probably put them in the same class as a seat cushion - not so much eye candy as comfort "food".
 
I may have to give them a try. Don't see any grip sets that I really like and after going to the lower Daytona bars I was unable to reinstall the OE internal bar weights and use the bar end mirrors.
On the run last Saturday the only slight down side I found was a little buzzing in my hands after an hour or so.I don't know if I'm willing to go back to stalk style mirrors to be able to use the factory vibration weights.
 
Can you order replacement suckers? That the big question! :)
 
rockster5_imp said:
We just ordered these. They are exactly what we were looking for because we didn't want to cut the original grips.

Thanks
:D
rockster5-

Was just wondering what you think of your new Original Grip Buddies?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Best,

Dave R.
 
Buffalorider_imp said:
I may have to give them a try. Don't see any grip sets that I really like and after going to the lower Daytona bars I was unable to reinstall the OE internal bar weights and use the bar end mirrors.
On the run last Saturday the only slight down side I found was a little buzzing in my hands after an hour or so.I don't know if I'm willing to go back to stalk style mirrors to be able to use the factory vibration weights.
Buffalorider-

I don't think you'd be dissatisfied with my OGB SS's if you gave them a shot. Let me know if I can help.

Best,

Dave R.
 
this is really goodstuff..!
quoting from another thread here

wildezt_imp said:
meowguy_imp said:
I must also add that the thin diameter of the throttle grip does not help gaining smooth control of the throttle. See my post about ALTERNATIVE TO GRIP REPLACEMENT.
that grip stuff is good, the grip was too narrow before. i can wrap the throttle in an almost normal fashion now. the fingers were sticking too much towards the wrist before. the increased circumference of the throttle increases the intervals of the rolling action of the throttle much better than the stock. nice find meowguy. thanks.
that grip stuff is good, the grip was too narrow before. i can wrap the throttle in an almost normal fashion now. the fingers were sticking too much towards the wrist before. the increased circumference of the throttle increases the intervals of the rolling action of the throttle much better than the stock. nice find meowguy. thanks.
 
wildezt_imp said:
this is really goodstuff..!
quoting from another thread here

wildezt_imp said:
meowguy_imp said:
I must also add that the thin diameter of the throttle grip does not help gaining smooth control of the throttle. See my post about ALTERNATIVE TO GRIP REPLACEMENT.
that grip stuff is good, the grip was too narrow before. i can wrap the throttle in an almost normal fashion now. the fingers were sticking too much towards the wrist before. the increased circumference of the throttle increases the intervals of the rolling action of the throttle much better than the stock. nice find meowguy. thanks.
that grip stuff is good, the grip was too narrow before. i can wrap the throttle in an almost normal fashion now. the fingers were sticking too much towards the wrist before. the increased circumference of the throttle increases the intervals of the rolling action of the throttle much better than the stock. nice find meowguy. thanks.
that grip stuff is good, the grip was too narrow before. i can wrap the throttle in an almost normal fashion now. the fingers were sticking too much towards the wrist before. the increased circumference of the throttle increases the intervals of the rolling action of the throttle much better than the stock. nice find meowguy. thanks.
wildezt-

Thanks very much for your business.

Best,

Dave R.
 
Back
Top