Ulvetanna_imp
Road warrior
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Deer! Doggone them. Good job on that!Flynrider_imp said:Like many of us older riders, I learned to ride "the hard way", without benefit of formal training. My first five years of riding were peppered with two wheeled mishaps that resulted in a lot of scraped metal and skin. All of those mishaps were avoidable and primarily the result of a lack of experience/knowledge.
Eventually, I realized that much of the carnage involved improper braking technique (i.e. "panic braking"). Locking up the wheels when danger loomed seemed to be the natural response, but it became clear that I usually ended up much worse off.
This was right about the time I'd started racing at the track and learning a lot about how ride near the limits of a bike's performance. I learned all about covering the brake when things looked dicey as well as how to apply maximum brake, without locking the wheels. That, plus learning to quickly change the direction of the bike at speed, made all the difference.
Ironically, the only time I've scraped motorcycle metal in the last 28 yrs. was thanks to a deer. I didn't see it until it was a few feet away, though I was still able to brake enough to hit the deer (and the ground) at a relatively low speed. In my book, anticipating the need to brake (covering), then being able to apply maximum brake should be at the top of anyone's motorcycle survival skill list.
I hit one in 1984, was very lucky to get out of it OK. Wee hours of the morning. Night riding is very dangerous, I've pretty much given that up. Except for last week.The ferret_imp said:Deer, in all liklihood the most dangerous aspect of our sport because of their unpredictability, their size, strength, and body density. We see a car approaching we might be able to assume they are going to turn left in front of us and take evasive action, we see someone coming from the right or left at an intersection at a high rate of speed and we realize they might not be able to stop if the light changes so we wait and see before preceeding same if we see someone appraoching at high speed in our rear view mirrors, we seek an outlet in case they don't stop in time. If we are following someone and they are looking around as if lost, we realize they may be looking for an address and to back off and give them space in case they slam on the brakes.... But deer? No telling what they are going to do.
Safety guru Larry Grodsky, someone who lived and breathed safety on a motorcycle, wrote a column about it in Rider Magazine for 20 years, was taken out by a deer. Truthfully, I wonder if I am not destined to the same fate. So many close calls over the years.
I have never seen so many deer on the road in one ride as I did when we rode through your subdivision. It was as if someone had set up deer-feeders in their back yards or something.The ferret_imp said:Deer, in all liklihood the most dangerous aspect of our sport because of their unpredictability, their size, strength, and body density. We see a car approaching we might be able to assume they are going to turn left in front of us and take evasive action, we see someone coming from the right or left at an intersection at a high rate of speed and we realize they might not be able to stop if the light changes so we wait and see before preceeding same if we see someone appraoching at high speed in our rear view mirrors, we seek an outlet in case they don't stop in time. If we are following someone and they are looking around as if lost, we realize they may be looking for an address and to back off and give them space in case they slam on the brakes.... But deer? No telling what they are going to do.
Safety guru Larry Grodsky, someone who lived and breathed safety on a motorcycle, wrote a column about it in Rider Magazine for 20 years, was taken out by a deer. Truthfully, I wonder if I am not destined to the same fate. So many close calls over the years.

I have never seen so many deer on the road in one ride as I did when we rode through your subdivision. It was as if someone had set up deer-feeders in their back yards or something.EmptySea_imp said:I have never seen so many deer on the road in one ride as I did when we rode through your subdivision. It was as if someone had set up deer-feeders in their back yards or something.The ferret_imp said:Deer, in all liklihood the most dangerous aspect of our sport because of their unpredictability, their size, strength, and body density. We see a car approaching we might be able to assume they are going to turn left in front of us and take evasive action, we see someone coming from the right or left at an intersection at a high rate of speed and we realize they might not be able to stop if the light changes so we wait and see before preceeding same if we see someone appraoching at high speed in our rear view mirrors, we seek an outlet in case they don't stop in time. If we are following someone and they are looking around as if lost, we realize they may be looking for an address and to back off and give them space in case they slam on the brakes.... But deer? No telling what they are going to do.
Safety guru Larry Grodsky, someone who lived and breathed safety on a motorcycle, wrote a column about it in Rider Magazine for 20 years, was taken out by a deer. Truthfully, I wonder if I am not destined to the same fate. So many close calls over the years.
Feeding wildlife is completely illegal in Callfornia, anywhere, anytime. As you just noted, it makes wild animals unable to fend for themselves, comfortable around humans, and increases the chances of either an animal or a human getting hurt in some way.The ferret_imp said:I have never seen so many deer on the road in one ride as I did when we rode through your subdivision. It was as if someone had set up deer-feeders in their back yards or something.EmptySea_imp said:I have never seen so many deer on the road in one ride as I did when we rode through your subdivision. It was as if someone had set up deer-feeders in their back yards or something.The ferret_imp said:Deer, in all liklihood the most dangerous aspect of our sport because of their unpredictability, their size, strength, and body density. We see a car approaching we might be able to assume they are going to turn left in front of us and take evasive action, we see someone coming from the right or left at an intersection at a high rate of speed and we realize they might not be able to stop if the light changes so we wait and see before preceeding same if we see someone appraoching at high speed in our rear view mirrors, we seek an outlet in case they don't stop in time. If we are following someone and they are looking around as if lost, we realize they may be looking for an address and to back off and give them space in case they slam on the brakes.... But deer? No telling what they are going to do.
Safety guru Larry Grodsky, someone who lived and breathed safety on a motorcycle, wrote a column about it in Rider Magazine for 20 years, was taken out by a deer. Truthfully, I wonder if I am not destined to the same fate. So many close calls over the years.
:rofl: about every other house has a feeder here, the thinking being it will keep them out of the expensive plants and off the roads, But the stupid deer and turkeys just make the rounds from house to house everyday like it's Halloween and STILL eat the expensive plants. I have pics of deer standing in the flower garden right behind where we got our group pic taken, and pics of them walking between the porch and the rock wall.
I was wearing road cycling apparel...would not have helped in the least. Anything looks remotely like a branch I avoid, but this little critter was coiled in a little disk.Olyrider_imp said:A group of us were riding on the North Cascades Hwy in north central Washington State several years ago. Someone needed to take a comfort break. Walked just far enough off the highway for some privacy. Thought he stepped on a rotten branch laying on the ground. But no.....
Fortunately, he was wearing insulated Wellington boots. The two fang marks were disturbingly far apart and quite large. As if a carpenter had hammered the boots with a 12 penny nail.
He didn't have a scratch.
We have since called that ride loop "The Rattlesnake Ride".
Good thing none of 'em connected, you'd've been charged with animal cruelty.:rofl:The ferret_imp said:I have been struck at by large snakes lying in the road twice while riding. Once on the BRP and once on the Cherahola.