All the gear, all the time???

The ferret_imp said:
Dharma_Jones93_imp said:
ATGATT. The folks I ride with get so annoyed, they're ready to go while I'm strapping on this or that. I've occasionally ridden without a jacket, but as others have mentioned its just uncomfortable. Like driving without my seatbelt, I just don't feel protected. Mesh helps in summer. Boots and gloves are a huge must for me. I ride to hiking destinations so I often bring my hiking boots but always change on arrival. I have a scorpion exo900, so its full face or 3/4 depending on how hot it is.
I will make a correction, I don't own any riding pants. I have rain pants but they are much too warm for my commute and don't have any armor (though they are very thick textile, I would say significantly more protection than standard leather chaps). Any suggestions on an affordable, 3 season pant that can be worn over jeans (I'm vegan, so textile is a must, but all suggestions welcome)?
You are not going to eat them lol

You are in Cinti. i suggest riding out to sport tour near tri county mall and looking at their rack of textile riding and over pants and see what appeals to you. You can try them on and they are as cheap as anywhere I think. Plus nice guys

Gotta love this forum
:rofl:

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Dharma_Jones93_imp said:
ATGATT. The folks I ride with get so annoyed, they're ready to go while I'm strapping on this or that. I've occasionally ridden without a jacket, but as others have mentioned its just uncomfortable. Like driving without my seatbelt, I just don't feel protected. Mesh helps in summer. Boots and gloves are a huge must for me. I ride to hiking destinations so I often bring my hiking boots but always change on arrival. I have a scorpion exo900, so its full face or 3/4 depending on how hot it is.
I will make a correction, I don't own any riding pants. I have rain pants but they are much too warm for my commute and don't have any armor (though they are very thick textile, I would say significantly more protection than standard leather chaps). Any suggestions on an affordable, 3 season pant that can be worn over jeans (I'm vegan, so textile is a must, but all suggestions welcome)?
You are not going to eat them lol

You are in Cinti. i suggest riding out to sport tour near tri county mall and looking at their rack of textile riding and over pants and see what appeals to you. You can try them on and they are as cheap as anywhere I think. Plus nice guys

Gotta love this forum
:rofl:

Cheers
Gotta love this forum
:rofl:

Cheers
Mad me think of a conversation with one of our Hindu engineers regarding cows being sacred. I asked him where the leather in his shoes came from? He answered "sick cows". Maybe you can source some leather riding gear out of India!
:P
 
CB4ME_imp said:
ATGAAT is why Spring and Fall are my favorite riding seasons.
Amen! It's ATGATT or no ride for me.
You only have to have had (say that 3 times fast...) one nasty unplanned get-off to appreciate gear.
The "naked squid" - as we used to call them - is an every day sight here in SoCal. At the beach last Sunday I saw three separate young couples on sportsbikes riding along PCH, all of them wearing only a helmet for gear with shorts, t-shirts, tennies or flip-flops(!), no gloves. Even as a long-time sportsbike rider who wasn't always the smartest/safest rider, I still flinch when I see it.
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
ATGAAT is why Spring and Fall are my favorite riding seasons.
Amen! It's ATGATT or no ride for me.
You only have to have had (say that 3 times fast...) one nasty unplanned get-off to appreciate gear.
The "naked squid" - as we used to call them - is an every day sight here in SoCal. At the beach last Sunday I saw three separate young couples on sportsbikes riding along PCH, all of them wearing only a helmet for gear with shorts, t-shirts, tennies or flip-flops(!), no gloves. Even as a long-time sportsbike rider who wasn't always the smartest/safest rider, I still flinch when I see it.
Amen! It's ATGATT or no ride for me.
You only have to have had (say that 3 times fast...) one nasty unplanned get-off to appreciate gear.
i have never had a nasty unplanned get-off but for me as well It's ATGATT or no ride for me.
always a full face helmet, riding jacket, over pants, gloves and boots.
i just replaced my 1 piece riding suit.
i ride year round. only snow and ice keep me from riding.
i have lots of different riding gear for the different riding conditions.
 
As I have written in a previous post, I am, in the main, an ATGATT kinda bloke. For all you "old soldiers" who are aware of gravel rash complications the following statements may not fit too well but give it some thought.

First, appropriate gear is essential.

Secondly, ATGATT, fluoro, ABS, traction control, ten foot long whip aerials with orange flag attached, flashing LED brake lights or any other such thing will not render you invincible. My leathers are not going to be at all helpful in the event of a high speed head-on. I may look a little more presentable on the slab but that will not be my concern. So, my point? It is my rather subjective opinion that some riders don't quite get this.

Cheers
 
Full face helmet with Transitions visor, white leather perforated jacket, leather motorcycle boots, leather gloves. All of this works in 110+ degree heat. I can't imagine NOT having a jacket doing 70mph in that temperature, the hot wind hurts the naked skin. The white jacket is quite a lot cooler than a dark/black one, which I used to wear. Every once-in-a-while I'll forget to change shoes before leaving the office or my house and leave with the wrong shoes on (e.g. tennis shoes), but that only happens like twice a year. I only wear crappy cotton blue jeans though. I have full race leather pants with armor in the shins and knees that I used to wear all the time when I had a place to change, but I don't any more and to be honest, I'm lazy.
 
I can't imagine why anyone is in the least interested in what I wear when I ride, but it's important to keep the ATGATT thread rolling along—if only to support Pterodactyl's thesis that ATGATT threads are more fun than oil threads.

So. I nearly always wear a RST Ventilator mesh jacket, boots, kevlar riding jeans, riding gloves and a full-face helmet. Sometimes I skip the riding jeans and wear ordinary old blue jeans.

Occasionally, very occasionally, if I'm riding two minutes down the road to the bottle shop for a beer or two, or to the hardware shop for 4 litres of Dr Dactyl's Prophylactical HUBRIS omnigrade 30W-70 motorcycle oil, I'll wear shorts, a t-shirt, Crocs and a full-face helmet. Nearly always as I do this, I wonder if I'm being silly as gravel rash is gravel rash no matter where you get it.
 
Ok. I'll support my country men and keep the ball rolling.

ATGATT sorry its not me.

These days its most of the gear most of the time.

Always use Dr Dactyl's Bio HUBRIS
 
Strong supporter of everyones' right to choose for themselves, can't legislate common sense (ever pay any attention to our legislators!!?).

Also believe in the Darwin theory.
 
When I was young, even then I'd wear "gear" although it was just jeans and a wind-breaker. The only spills I've ever had were low speed (like 5 MPH) where I could just jump off and not fall. But now, largely influenced I'm sure, by decades of BMW forums, it's ATGATT for me, no exceptions, ever. It's miserably hot in the summer, but not as painful as road rash I'm sure.

My question for you guys who wear the jackets and gloves and helmet and "long pants" - where do you think you're going to land and probably slide if you have an off? My guess is buttocks. Which is why I always wear armored pants (even though they look silly, aren't comfortable and do not show off my toned derriere to its best).

:)

But hey, I grew up in SC which has no helmet law, and when I go through that state and see people riding unprotected, well, that's just a whole different thing entirely.
 
ATGATT for me no matter what. I don't care if it's 100+ degrees and I'm just going down the street. All it takes is one dumb cager and you're done.

Just the other day, my buddy decided not to wear protective gear because it was too hot. Well, just his luck, later that day a lady in an SUV cut him off on the freeway and he crashed. He sustained injuries and regrets not having his gear on.

Some people don't wear their gear if they are just riding locally. But please keep in mind, statistics show most accidents happen 5-10 miles/minutes from home.
 
Young lad, will recover faster than us old guys. And maybe he learns a few things. I hear CB1100 riders are safer as a community except for low speed tip overs.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
Gloves, jacket, modular helmet, boots (sneakers sometimes)... all the time. But I do wear jeans and would love to find a good pair of armored and skid proof jeans to wear instead. Any ideas?
 
I chuckle a little when i see someone with a full suit on with a high viz jacket and high viz vest over that with chaps over textile pants and huge mx boots with every other piece of equipment on but i know why they do it and agree that its safe. I wear my gear all the time as well but not to the extreame as some. I mainly wear a full face but sometimes a 3/4 with visor when its real hot. I always have a jacket wheather its leather, mesh or textile, got them all. I always wear gloves and always boots. Not hikers or work boots, dedicated riding boots. NO sneakers ever! I wear the ones that are very suptle with non slip soles and ankle support with sliders built in. I always wear jeans. No chaps, learhers or textile on the bottom but my jeans i wear are either kevlar sliders or iron workers specific for riding. They come with kevlar panels and knee pads which are low key. So all in all i wear the gear but i dont go nuts and dont want to look like im about to do a moon walk, lol. I like to wear low key somewhat matching and somewhat stylish gear.
ride4now_imp said:
Gloves, jacket, modular helmet, boots (sneakers sometimes)... all the time. But I do wear jeans and would love to find a good pair of armored and skid proof jeans to wear instead. Any ideas?
I find the store brand stuff from competition accessories to be very good quality for the money. They have decent riding pants and jeans called sliders and cycle gear has built iron workers which are very nice for the money considering some of their other stuff is less than par. I have them both and they have held up for several years.
 
Dharma_Jones93_imp said:
ATGATT. The folks I ride with get so annoyed, they're ready to go while I'm strapping on this or that. I've occasionally ridden without a jacket, but as others have mentioned its just uncomfortable. Like driving without my seatbelt, I just don't feel protected. Mesh helps in summer. Boots and gloves are a huge must for me. I ride to hiking destinations so I often bring my hiking boots but always change on arrival. I have a scorpion exo900, so its full face or 3/4 depending on how hot it is.
I will make a correction, I don't own any riding pants. I have rain pants but they are much too warm for my commute and don't have any armor (though they are very thick textile, I would say significantly more protection than standard leather chaps). Any suggestions on an affordable, 3 season pant that can be worn over jeans (I'm vegan, so textile is a must, but all suggestions welcome)?
Try kevlar jeans so you dont have to wear something over jeans which just sounds bulky and uncomfortable. Sorry for my ignorance but being a vegan means you cant or dont wear leather?
 
ride4now_imp said:
Gloves, jacket, modular helmet, boots (sneakers sometimes)... all the time. But I do wear jeans and would love to find a good pair of armored and skid proof jeans to wear instead. Any ideas?
I wear Hood jeans with D3O in the hips and knees. Great quality, I've never tested them (thankfully) yet, but in terms of geeral use and wear and tear they're bulletproof. My favourite part of these is that they're cut just like a Levis 501 and you could never tell that they were motorcycle jeans even with the armour in.

Apparently Resurgence Gear also make nice stuff -- though I've got no first hand experience with them.
 
Back
Top