Adapting to 17" CBR wheels?

nsrrider_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello all, I've been searching for info on this conversion but not finding much (maybe for a reason :) Using a 2014 CB1100 as a base, I'm interested in converting to USD forks from a CBR1000RR and using its 17" wheel. Not rocket science--I can do that. The harder question will be the rear wheel. So, here is the question: Will a 6" wheel fit in the CB1100 swingarm, with a 180X17 tire? thanks!
 
You'd have a much easier time converting to the 17" wheels from the Euro/canadian CB1100 RS models. If you get the forks, brakes, wheels, and swingarm from that bike, you'd basically have an instant swap to 17" cast wheels.

Even easier than that, you can swap to a set of custom made spoked 17" wheels, which more than one of our forum members has done. That doesn't require new swingarms or suspension or any permanent mods of any kind.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
You'd have a much easier time converting to the 17" wheels from the Euro/canadian CB1100 RS models. If you get the forks, brakes, wheels, and swingarm from that bike, you'd basically have an instant swap to 17" cast wheels.

Even easier than that, you can swap to a set of custom made spoked 17" wheels, which more than one of our forum members has done. That doesn't require new swingarms or suspension or any permanent mods of any kind.
thanks but I'm pretty committed to a CBR 1000 USD front w/17-cast wheels (either Carrozzeria wheels, OEM CBR wheels or possibly these wheels from EBAY:



mostly concerned about fitting a 6" wide wheel between the axle space of the CB1100...I can fab the necessary caliper carrier stuff....
 
If you're comitted to using the CBR1000RR front end then why not use the Triple and forks and all? seems like it would be easier to fab a new custom steering stem than try to cram that wheel in between the CB1100 forks. of course, then you've got fork length and rake/trail to worry about. might fudge the geometry of the bike in a way that is detrimental to handling rather than beneficial.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
If you're comitted to using the CBR1000RR front end then why not use the Triple and forks and all? seems like it would be easier to fab a new custom steering stem than try to cram that wheel in between the CB1100 forks. of course, then you've got fork length and rake/trail to worry about. might fudge the geometry of the bike in a way that is detrimental to handling rather than beneficial.
I would definitely try to use the entire CBR front end.....if I can't use the OEM CBR triples (which would be my first choice) I'd be looking at some custom triples. I'm not sure about fork length of the CBR forks but one advantage of custom triples would be the ability to adjust for shorter forks. I don't mind steepening the geometry a little if it is not extreme. But the front end is not the issue so much as using the 6 inch wide rear wheel of the CBR. I don't know (yet) if it will even fit in the CB1100 swingarm-width-wise.
 
Fair warning, the rest of us have pretty much determined that the widest tire we're going to get into the stock swingarm is a 160. I think the CBR wheel takes a 180 section rear...even if you fit the wheel the tire is going to rub. There again is the difference in the CB1100 RS swingarm. it's shaped differently for a different size wheel/tire, though you'd have to ask somebody that owns one what the widest tire would be.

Somebody on here was going to slap a Ducati Single sided swingarm onto a CB1100 at one point but they never followed up on that project, so I don't think that ever worked out either.
 
Although it's agreed here on the forum that a 160 rear is the most we'd put in, a local garage here recently did a conversion we are talking about, a CBR front end and a 180 rear on a stock swingarm, and it doesn't rub, I think it has to do with the fact that the wheel is a 17"the swingarm might slight taper towards the pivot.

Unfortunately, the owner already picked up the bike, but I'll go back and talk to the mechanics, maybe they can give me some info, and possibly put me in touch with the owner of the modded bike to look at the details

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
tod.branko_imp said:
Although it's agreed here on the forum that a 160 rear is the most we'd put in, a local garage here recently did a conversion we are talking about, a CBR front end and a 180 rear on a stock swingarm, and it doesn't rub, I think it has to do with the fact that the wheel is a 17"the swingarm might slight taper towards the pivot.

Unfortunately, the owner already picked up the bike, but I'll go back and talk to the mechanics, maybe they can give me some info, and possibly put me in touch with the owner of the modded bike to look at the details

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Would very much appreciate that info! Thanks.
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Fair warning, the rest of us have pretty much determined that the widest tire we're going to get into the stock swingarm is a 160. I think the CBR wheel takes a 180 section rear...even if you fit the wheel the tire is going to rub. There again is the difference in the CB1100 RS swingarm. it's shaped differently for a different size wheel/tire, though you'd have to ask somebody that owns one what the widest tire would be.

Somebody on here was going to slap a Ducati Single sided swingarm onto a CB1100 at one point but they never followed up on that project, so I don't think that ever worked out either.
thanks for the input. Just a little background....I take delivery of a 14 from TX to OR this week. It will be a project "donor" bike and not my primary ride. I'm bouncing around as to my final vision for this build but all of them include 17's. I'd sure like to retain the stock swingarm though. Past experience tells me that changing that out can be PITA.
 
The wheel will fit, but a 190mm-200mm might be snug. Why don't you make a c-shaped cardboard template to see if there is 8" clearance?
 
If you want to use a 17 in wheel for the purpose of better rubber where is also another option. Unless you're just wanting it for the alloy wheel asthetics.

I would suggest you go spoke. Get some EX hubs and lace them with tubeless rims. Go with a 17 maybe an 18 up front so you don't have to deal with speedo calibration.
Then get a 17" × 5" for the rear to accomodate a 180r17 tire. But with that you may need to get another swingarm. Gotta do measurements. Worst case you can get a wider swingarm from Webike but they're not cheap.

Then spacers for the chaindrive to align for the larger rim and wheel.

Pricy but it'll work. Your front end will line up at the calipers and rotors for certain.
The rear will also work..
Plus tubeless rims (maybe go black aluminum rim ) would look friggin sick.

Modding CBR rims if you're not a machinist or a savvy mechanic I wouldn't suggest. It's far more work than you think. I modded FZR600 rims to an SRX600 back in the day. Got it to work but the ordeal turned into a headache and a money pit.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
The wheel will fit, but a 190mm-200mm might be snug. Why don't you make a c-shaped cardboard template to see if there is 8" clearance?
I'll soon have the bike here and can do some more precise measuring....I just didn't want to buy a CBR1000RR rear wheel if it wouldn't fit into the stock swingarm of the CB1100 using a 180 tire. It sound like it might fit, but I'd hate to buy wheels and find out it doesn't.
Rox_imp said:
If you want to use a 17 in wheel for the purpose of better rubber where is also another option. Unless you're just wanting it for the alloy wheel asthetics.

I would suggest you go spoke. Get some EX hubs and lace them with tubeless rims. Go with a 17 maybe an 18 up front so you don't have to deal with speedo calibration.
Then get a 17" × 5" for the rear to accomodate a 180r17 tire. But with that you may need to get another swingarm. Gotta do measurements. Worst case you can get a wider swingarm from Webike but they're not cheap.

Then spacers for the chaindrive to align for the larger rim and wheel.

Pricy but it'll work. Your front end will line up at the calipers and rotors for certain.
The rear will also work..
Plus tubeless rims (maybe go black aluminum rim ) would look friggin sick.

Modding CBR rims if you're not a machinist or a savvy mechanic I wouldn't suggest. It's far more work than you think. I modded FZR600 rims to an SRX600 back in the day. Got it to work but the ordeal turned into a headache and a money pit.
thx, some good ideas.....youve got me thinking about spoked rims now....and I also wasnt thinking about speedo issues.....

I presume the EX hubs are a direct fit?
 
I looked and there is more than enough room to clear the chain, which is usually the biggest restriction. Chain alignment, where the front and rear sprockets are in exactly the same plane, is critical too.

As far as the speedo drive, if you use a CBR wheel that has the speed sensor ring on the rear wheel, be sure to get the bracket and speed sensor for it, as well as the brake caliper bracket.

Going the wire wheel route is definitely more expensive - over $1100 just for the rear - and that's with the stock rim.
 
The space issue with the 160 tyre had to do with the centre stand not the swing arm. You may have to lose the stand.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
The space issue with the 160 tyre had to do with the centre stand not the swing arm. You may have to lose the stand.
helpful, thx
My bike is on a (slow) truck coming from Austin...it's in AZ now. My build project included losing the center stand anyway. Seems like one of the complaints of the CB1100 is that it's rather "portly." Being the weight-nazi that I am, I plan on a diet for the bike. Looks like it won't be hard to lose 25 LBS. BTW, I'm not trying to turn this bike into a sport bike (I have one)....just trying to optimize its potential without destroying its character or looks.
 
This bike is around 550lbs. Taking off a 10lbs centerstand won't help much. I said I'd take mine off but after using it and remembering how helpful those things are. Especially cleaning and adjusting the chain. I saw a review on youtube of a guy scraping saying it was the centerstand. It's not. It's the front peg. I ride mine in the twisties a lot. It's the peg.

Not sure what you're looking for but if you wanted an 80s bike that won't have carb issues and good brakes you found it.

Only stuff I've done is brake lines (huge improvement) a full exhaust, a tune by Guhl (other huge improvement), desnorkeled and K&N , and some shocks and it made it a freighttrain. I love it.it's no cbr1000rr but that's not what you buy a CB for. It's a fun bike.
 
Rox_imp said:
This bike is around 550lbs. Taking off a 10lbs centerstand won't help much. I said I'd take mine off but after using it and remembering how helpful those things are. Especially cleaning and adjusting the chain. I saw a review on youtube of a guy scraping saying it was the centerstand. It's not. It's the front peg. I ride mine in the twisties a lot. It's the peg.

Not sure what you're looking for but if you wanted an 80s bike that won't have carb issues and good brakes you found it.

Only stuff I've done is brake lines (huge improvement) a full exhaust, a tune by Guhl (other huge improvement), desnorkeled and K&N , and some shocks and it made it a freighttrain. I love it.it's no cbr1000rr but that's not what you buy a CB for. It's a fun bike.
Don't mind me asking which brake lines did you use?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
tod.branko_imp said:
Rox_imp said:
This bike is around 550lbs. Taking off a 10lbs centerstand won't help much. I said I'd take mine off but after using it and remembering how helpful those things are. Especially cleaning and adjusting the chain. I saw a review on youtube of a guy scraping saying it was the centerstand. It's not. It's the front peg. I ride mine in the twisties a lot. It's the peg.

Not sure what you're looking for but if you wanted an 80s bike that won't have carb issues and good brakes you found it.

Only stuff I've done is brake lines (huge improvement) a full exhaust, a tune by Guhl (other huge improvement), desnorkeled and K&N , and some shocks and it made it a freighttrain. I love it.it's no cbr1000rr but that's not what you buy a CB for. It's a fun bike.
Don't mind me asking which brake lines did you use?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Don't mind me asking which brake lines did you use?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
"Not sure what you're looking for but if you wanted an 80s bike that won't have carb issues and good brakes you found it."

that's pretty much what I'm looking for, plus the simplicity and uncluttered nature of the CB appeals to me. It will probably not get a lot of miles and will be available to friends to use when visiting. But like I mentioned, it would be more than the 10 LB centerstand I would be removing with a diet....full exhaust (15 LBS?), lithium battery (8 LBS?) rear passenger pegs and a few other incidentals.....should gain me more than 30 LBS, just like adding about 6 HP.

Can you tell me more about the Guhl tune? Benefit, cost etc thx
 
Guhl does no more tuning. EPA put a stop to it. And not just them.
 
nsrrider_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
Rox_imp said:
This bike is around 550lbs. Taking off a 10lbs centerstand won't help much. I said I'd take mine off but after using it and remembering how helpful those things are. Especially cleaning and adjusting the chain. I saw a review on youtube of a guy scraping saying it was the centerstand. It's not. It's the front peg. I ride mine in the twisties a lot. It's the peg.

Not sure what you're looking for but if you wanted an 80s bike that won't have carb issues and good brakes you found it.

Only stuff I've done is brake lines (huge improvement) a full exhaust, a tune by Guhl (other huge improvement), desnorkeled and K&N , and some shocks and it made it a freighttrain. I love it.it's no cbr1000rr but that's not what you buy a CB for. It's a fun bike.
Don't mind me asking which brake lines did you use?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Don't mind me asking which brake lines did you use?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
"Not sure what you're looking for but if you wanted an 80s bike that won't have carb issues and good brakes you found it."

that's pretty much what I'm looking for, plus the simplicity and uncluttered nature of the CB appeals to me. It will probably not get a lot of miles and will be available to friends to use when visiting. But like I mentioned, it would be more than the 10 LB centerstand I would be removing with a diet....full exhaust (15 LBS?), lithium battery (8 LBS?) rear passenger pegs and a few other incidentals.....should gain me more than 30 LBS, just like adding about 6 HP.

Can you tell me more about the Guhl tune? Benefit, cost etc thx
Don't mind me asking which brake lines did you use?

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
"Not sure what you're looking for but if you wanted an 80s bike that won't have carb issues and good brakes you found it."

that's pretty much what I'm looking for, plus the simplicity and uncluttered nature of the CB appeals to me. It will probably not get a lot of miles and will be available to friends to use when visiting. But like I mentioned, it would be more than the 10 LB centerstand I would be removing with a diet....full exhaust (15 LBS?), lithium battery (8 LBS?) rear passenger pegs and a few other incidentals.....should gain me more than 30 LBS, just like adding about 6 HP.

Can you tell me more about the Guhl tune? Benefit, cost etc thx I started that way, but also lost 30lbs myself, thought it would be easier

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Back
Top