Accessory recommendation for a long ride

chandler_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm planning my first overnight trip to Deal's Gap and I'm looking for recommendations on what you all think is essential to have for a long ride.
Aside from a luggage rack, my bike is stock. I'm thinking a windshield might be the best choice, but I'm curious what others consider important to have on overnight trips.
Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Crickey! How long is a piece of string? A luggage rack is enough. I've ridden tens of thousands of kilometers with no wind screen. Others find it hard to ride without them. Pack your gear in a duffel, strap it on the rack, hit the road and post a picture of you and your bike on the Dragon.

Enjoy.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Crickey! How long is a piece of string? A luggage rack is enough. I've ridden tens of thousands of kilometers with no wind screen. Others find it hard to ride without them. Pack your gear in a duffel, strap it on the rack, hit the road and post a picture of you and your bike on the Dragon.

Enjoy.
:D :D :D Good advice.
You don't need much for an overnight run.
Pack light, hit the road and enjoy.
Use of a windshield is up to you; some do; some don't.
 
How long a ride is it? You are in Ga right? The Dragon is in NC. Maybe couple hundred miles? How many days are you going to be out?

" back in the day" lol a bike (160cc up to 650 cc which was about as big as they made) a green army peacoat, some kind of helmet with shield, work gloves, work boots, jeans and a little cash.. Maybe a duffle of spare undies, socks, jeans and t shirt) bungied on back seat

These days, my minimum would be (assuming temp range between 60-90) good riding gear aka helmet, gloves, jacket, pants and boots all mc specific, with high tech shirt,shorts and socks underneath. Spare set of high tech shirt, shorts and socks.(high tech means hotel sink washable in evening, dry by morning). Pair of jeans for casual wear/ restaurant. Windproof over shirt ( doubles under mc jacket for warmth and over top of shirt casual wear for around town walking if chilly) Rain gear. Spare pair of gloves. Medicine, toiletries, cell phone, credit card and a little cash.
 
Thread starter
Thanks all! It's about a 3 hour ride up there from Atlanta. My father in law is coming on the trip. He's done several trips there and is a big proponent of a windshield. I'm sure it would be nice for a long trip of interstate miles, but that's not what this trip will be. Also, I really don't like the looks of a windshield on the CB. I'm going to take your advice--duffle bag of clothes, riding gear, and little else.
I'll be sure to get some pictures!


2013 Honda CB1100
 
When are you heading there? My dad, brother, and I are taking a trip to Deal's Gap around the 4th of July from Michigan. It will be the first trip there for my bro and me.
 
On my latest holiday we rode about 1000km in one direction, 620 miles and were 17 hours in our boots (about 11 hours riding). I had no windshield because we couldn't go very fast, we passed 5 countries, only some parts in Germany without speed limit. I worn my Rukka clothes and my Daytona boots, stayed dry although riding for about 3 hours on our return path in heavy rain (gloves were a bit wet, i forgot to waterproof it. But had until then, no windshield. Because of slow speed. That was not so bad, but when riding such distances, i would recommend a windshield, therefore i mounted one last week. For some hours riding, i think that a windshield is not mandatory. The luggage system was Kriega, enough space for one week:
 
Thread starter
coliban_imp said:
On my latest holiday we rode about 1000km in one direction, 620 miles and were 17 hours in our boots (about 11 hours riding). I had no windshield because we couldn't go very fast, we passed 5 countries, only some parts in Germany without speed limit. I worn my Rukka clothes and my Daytona boots, stayed dry although riding for about 3 hours on our return path in heavy rain (gloves were a bit wet, i forgot to waterproof it. But had until then, no windshield. Because of slow speed. That was not so bad, but when riding such distances, i would recommend a windshield, therefore i mounted one last week. For some hours riding, i think that a windshield is not mandatory. The luggage system was Kriega, enough space for one week:

Cool! I need to get a bag for luggage. Thanks for the recommendation.
BTW--you can tell that horse in your picture is a really classy horse by the way he's checking out your bike.


2013 Honda CB1100
mjpark_imp said:
When are you heading there? My dad, brother, and I are taking a trip to Deal's Gap around the 4th of July from Michigan. It will be the first trip there for my bro and me.

We're looking at the last weekend in July. I have some work trips keeping me from going sooner. I'll be interested to hear what you think. Please post about your trip.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
EmptySea_imp said:
and if you're like The Ferret...VERY little cash ;)

Ferret doesn't have much cash.. he spends it all on gas and tires!
 
I enjoyed having crash bars with highway pegs on my 4000 trip last summer.
 
Rok-straps or a similar system for securing major and important items to your bike. Bungee cords and nets for short distances and non essential items.
Canoe and kayak shops also carry waterproof soft sided luggage, as do army surplus stores.
 
chandler_imp said:
I'm planning my first overnight trip to Deal's Gap and I'm looking for recommendations on what you all think is essential to have for a long ride.
Aside from a luggage rack, my bike is stock. I'm thinking a windshield might be the best choice, but I'm curious what others consider important to have on overnight trips.
Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A good biker chick.
 
Everyone has their opinions but I would mount a trunk of some kind such as a GIVI V46 to the luggage rack. I've done the soft luggage and it was ok but having at least a good size trunk to hold your helmet and gear when you stop / take a break is worth it. In addition to the Dragon are you planning on riding the Cherohala Skyway? I find that more enjoyable. Also US 441 between Cherokee and Gatlinburg is a great ride as well.
 
Thread starter
hb9400_imp said:
Everyone has their opinions but I would mount a trunk of some kind such as a GIVI V46 to the luggage rack. I've done the soft luggage and it was ok but having at least a good size trunk to hold your helmet and gear when you stop / take a break is worth it. In addition to the Dragon are you planning on riding the Cherohala Skyway? I find that more enjoyable. Also US 441 between Cherokee and Gatlinburg is a great ride as well.

Yep. We're planning on riding the skyway. I'm letting my father in law pick the routes since he's been up there before, but he's talked about the skyway a few times.


2013 Honda CB1100
 
chandler_imp said:
I'm planning my first overnight trip to Deal's Gap and I'm looking for recommendations on what you all think is essential to have for a long ride.
Aside from a luggage rack, my bike is stock. I'm thinking a windshield might be the best choice, but I'm curious what others consider important to have on overnight trips.
Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I, personally, cant stand those things. I find them a poor substitute for a proper jacket and full-face helmet, and a hazard in any significant cross-wind.

This is not posted to tell you not to put a wind-shield on your bike, this is posted only so you know that windshields are not universally considered a "sine qua non" as is often presented on motorcycle forums.
 
Me too on the Windshield front. I'll take clean constant air over that annoying, noisy turbulence from a shield.
I regularly keep 70-80 for a few hours at a time with no problem.
Wear close fitting clothes, leather for me, and a full face helmet.
Pack light, undies and socks and a jumper for Summer.
Whatever you attach to the bike, bag wise, make it easy to get off and on and have it accessible to get your phone, wallet out.
The less equipment I have in almost everything I do, the more I enjoy it. Don't be a slave to the kit, that's not the point, keep it simple.
One small consession to comfort, a small tube of Prep H.... you may not need it now but..... ;-)
 
Back
Top