About to order the '17 dual bending valve forks for my '14

PowerDubs_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Ok- so I want silver fork lowers. I also want to try to improve the front forks a bit.

My original options were

#1- I could strip the black off my current lowers, brush the aluminum finish and clearcoat them. Would take many hours of work, a pile of sand paper and paint..and make a mess.

#2- I could buy the silver lower pieces new from a Honda parts place and swap em on- which would involve total disassembly of the forks, new oil- again several hours and make a mess. :)

With either of these options I was considering new springs and race tech emulators.

I then read about the new forks on the 2017 and started looking at pictures.

They are the same diameter tubes, same diameter brake rotors, take the same axle part #, mounting for the calipers and front fender look to be the same- I can't see any reason they won't bolt right on.

Should solve both of my desires- I'll get silver forks and should be a better ride quality- with no mess and an easy quick swap on.

Since my bike is low miles still- I might even be able to sell my stock forks for a bit of cash to offset costs.

Thoughts?
 
I think it sounds like a great idea if the cost of the new parts comes in at a cost you can live with.
 
Worth looking at the Andreani Kit for the CB1100.
Just fitted them and front end is fantastic.
Comp. and Rebound damping.
Not sure how the price compares but you could get a shop to strip your fork lowers and drop in the Andreani kit.
 
Hey there beardy, I've been looking at the Andreani kit ... i'm almost tempted. If you have the time would you please post a description of the modification and your review of how it handles? Be great to get an overview of the project and the benefits. Thanks Aussieflyer
 
Thread starter
Good thing I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Still researching and found something that needs clarification from our new members that have a '17-

Click the big pics and compare the fork caps- they look the same, preload adjust, etc.

I have not been able to find a picture of the tops of a '17 EX looking downward.

On the other Honda bikes that have SDBV forks the caps look different and SBDV is written on the caps.

14- http://onlymotorbikes.com/public/74/honda-cb-1100-2014-moto.jpeg

17- https://motorsportsnewswire.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/2017_honda_cb1100_ex_rh.jpg

The other thing I learned from reading around the web- and confirmed on these pictures is that the lower tree clamps onto the forks higher on the '17. You can see this as well in the picture. I'm not sure if this is a styling exercise or if the new forks offer more travel and need the space. Seems an expensive part to redesign and cast just for a slight visual change.

Any more thoughts?
More clicking around the net- and answering my own questions-

Yes these have sbdv stamped on them-

https://2yrh403fk8vd1hz9ro2n46dd-wp...nt/uploads/2017/05/2017-Honda-CB1100-EX-3.jpg

and the front travel is 'listed' to be the same on both the 14 and 17. Doesn't mean it is- but probably is.
ORDER PLACED
 
Do let us know how this turns out! Ease of installation, AND do the new forks REALLY make a difference in handling. Thanks!
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Hey there beardy, I've been looking at the Andreani kit ... i'm almost tempted. If you have the time would you please post a description of the modification and your review of how it handles? Be great to get an overview of the project and the benefits. Thanks Aussieflyer
Hey Mate, I will. I'll start a new thread with it on. Been meaning to for a while but summers been hot and I've been riding all the time. Pissing with rain today and I'm about 6 posts in!! It's all weather dependent....
 
Best pic I have of the fork caps, taken on Saturday at a dealer.

53a3bbc7c6e5046a2a16e6ca3f566ec8.jpg
 
Thread starter
Not on the EX they aren't – and even if they were, wheel diameter has nothing to do with rotor diameter or axle sizing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I think he meant, wouldn't the forks be longer, or shorter, for different diameter wheels?
 
Thread starter
I don't know, but if they are not, there is just as much chance of any factory fork not being filled correctly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3b44ec14dad9f1938aa1cefe5bb6889c.jpg
6a361788dda1fdf271df662a91d14a66.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07381b74f2208759601bbe3812b75a17.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
35f84f9b134cdba2ec1a8b722243f8ba.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4b842fdfcfe9fcb68bb4976e32d9de5b.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love that all these years later, decades even- this wheel looks old.

7398d9ea4e15fb3a977eb8134bb2fd0d.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that is as they say- a proper bit of kit.
6fa104d0c8657c20ebda2e9a1afbb9c0.png


d47efb7bb54763ca11165a6572d1644b.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Confirmed – 110% plug-and-play. Will most likely test ride tomorrow.

fb98800b056768070f4c248d03c671f4.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top