a Rocky Mountain high ***New pics added***

Thread starter
Lol yea, didn't seem quicker. Safely at Offroads. I have a 250 mile 5 hour CB ride to my house tomorrow and this trip will be in the history books.
 
Great effort fellas. I've thoroughly enjoyed my vicarious ride with you.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ok just got in from dinner.

Today's ride was 270 miles on some more outstanding roads. We took off about 8:30 am and headed over a great curvy road (67) for a town called Green Mountain Falls where we had brunch at a neat little place called The Pantry. Cool little place. Very popular, we had to wait for a table. After lunch we hit Pikes Peak and on my second try ( got turned around at the 13 mile marker in 2014) this time made it all the way to the top. The last 6 miles is steep, and breath taking and cold. Too many tourists though. If you ever go, go when the kiddies are back in school.

Anyhow after Pikes Peak we hit Cripple Creek and Tarryall Rd which was unbelieveable. Perfect high speed sweepers with good line of site, back and forth, back and forth. Awesome. Offroad really took a giant leap forward on his skill set on this road. Without having to worry what was around the bend ( because he could see beyond the bend) he was able to conentrate on lines. Following LongRanger really helped as LR picks great lines and carries plenty of corner speed. He's really smooth too. It was fun to watch from my tail position.On the way back home we hit Kenosha Pass and got very wet as the rain came down pretty hard.

Things are drying out now and LR has another great day of riding planned for tomorrow. This is almost too much fun. I think we are crossing the Continental Divide 4 times tomorrow.
As if the pictures weren't enough evidence— and they were awesome, THIS is how I know that The ferret was having a truly great time. He eats at a place where he had to wait for a table and still considers it "neat" and "cool". Whaaaa? :rofl: Then he goes right back into his euphoric ride dialogue. Man Mickey, you guys must have been floating on a cloud this trip (probably both figuratively and literally). Good stuff!!
 
Thread starter
Just pulled into drive after 241 mile ride from Offroads. Close to 3000 miles this month, 2K on the CB woo hoo, putting me over 17,000 for the year.

Guth, it was a great trip! Like I said before LongRanger was the consummate host, knew all the great roads and knew how to avoid traffic, knew great little places to eat I never would have stopped at (not a single fast food meal while at LR's!...that's not like me lol) knew where the cool touristy places were and how to get to them, and away from them avoiding tourist traffic (except for on Pikes Peak and RMNP which he couldn't help). Offroad was a great companion for the trip going out of his way to make sure things went smoothly. I couldn't be happier with how the trip worked out.

I will be posting up some more pics in a separate thread.

Sure was nice to see my wife waving at me as I came down the drive. Man I missed her. Good to be home.

right now I have to unpack and do laundry. uggg the worst part of a trip!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Just pulled into drive after 241 mile ride from Offroads. Close to 3000 miles this month, 2K on the CB woo hoo, putting me over 17,000 for the year.

Guth, it was a great trip! Like I said before LongRanger was the consummate host, knew all the great roads and knew how to avoid traffic, knew great little places to eat I never would have stopped at (not a single fast food meal while at LR's!...that's not like me lol) knew where the cool touristy places were and how to get to them, and away from them avoiding tourist traffic (except for on Pikes Peak and RMNP which he couldn't help). Offroad was a great companion for the trip going out of his way to make sure things went smoothly. I couldn't be happier with how the trip worked out.

I will be posting up some more pics in a separate thread.

Sure was nice to see my wife waving at me as I came down the drive. Man I missed her. Good to be home.

right now I have to unpack and do laundry. uggg the worst part of a trip!
There's nothing like local knowledge when you're in strange territory - and to have somebody local in the lead :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I rode in the Canadian Rocky Mountains (and the Andes Mountains of Chile and Peru) so I have an appreciation of the majesty and wonderment of mountain riding on a motorcycle.
You certainly had a fantastic ride :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Glad you're home safe. If you're like me you will relive the adventure over and over.
 
Enjoyable saga to read & view pics... your enthusiasm/joy for the trip/companionship was/is appreciated & thanks for effort to share!... Glad there were no uh-oh moments!
 
Looks like you had an epic Colorado Rockies adventure! I am bookmarking this thread for future reference. Can't wait to see more pics.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I went thru about 500 of the 800 and something pics I took this evening getting rid of those not so crisp or not self explanatory ones.

I need to list all the cool places we went. Some of the roads were the highlights, some of the terrain features were highlights, and at least a couple of restaurants were highlights. but the biggest highlight was LR's knowledge from living there for so many years. He knows roads and places to go not readily visible when looking at a map. Nothing beats knowledge and LR has it in spades when talking about riding in that area.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I went thru about 500 of the 800 and something pics I took this evening getting rid of those not so crisp or not self explanatory ones.

I need to list all the cool places we went. Some of the roads were the highlights, some of the terrain features were highlights, and at least a couple of restaurants were highlights. but the biggest highlight was LR's knowledge from living there for so many years. He knows roads and places to go not readily visible when looking at a map. Nothing beats knowledge and LR has it in spades when talking about riding in that area.

Sounds amazing! Ride on!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
The ferret is right, LongRanger's knowledge of the roads, mountains, history of the area was what made the trip!

He knew the roads so well, he knew when the best curves were coming up and when would be the last chance to pass a slow car before riding them.

LR could look at ferrets 700+ pictures and tell you the exact location, road number, altitude, mountains you were seeing in the pictures...it was amazing really!

To top that I was riding with two experienced accomplished riders with almost 1 million miles of riding between them.

In my wildest dreams I couldn't have imagined a better trip!

We need to figure how to post several hundred of ferret's pictures into a single link slide show since you can't post hundreds of pictures in a thread. It would be perfect if comments were allowed on each picture, then LR could tell us what we're looking at.
 
You guys are WAY too kind. It was indeed a privilege and my pleasure to be able to share some of my favorites with you. I'm so glad you enjoyed them. There's a lot more to show you, but after a while, one curvy road or mountain pass is just like the next, right? Well, maybe not.

I was hoping we'd do the 435-mile Poudre Canyon / Snowy Range / North Park loop (that's the route with 70 miles of interstate), but we'll save it for another time. Two states, four continental divide crossings, and the River Rock Cafe in Walden serves an excellent chicken fried steak.

Also, as I mentioned before you arrived, there's a whole world of fabulous riding in southwest Colorado and southern Utah that's beyond a comfortable day's ride from my house. Next time we'll plan better, get a motel, and spend a few days down there. The mountains are more dramatic, the scenery is more varied, and the riding is mo' betta.

Here are a couple of random shots from Ferret's camera:

Clear Creek Canyon
cfa6aa50d10daae3199c9e63a8d8188c.jpg


Hwy 67 sweepers
82d873cf8b184e3d71a1192ead3beea4.jpg


Offroad descending Mt. Evans
00486de48924b7204d67c7bef259cd89.jpg
 
Thread starter
OK some random shots from the trip

6f0be8682e1cdd0949e5c216f6d65b5b.jpg


434a5902110b44fcc5dd0d5c54073298.jpg


213d6ea8e468531348e32d36f15b2cb4.jpg


bba36d855c4dbf664d38353e08e78530.jpg


d53f7efe7dfc177dae54a6c5c4a6ce1e.jpg


3190f7c74d3d0f72ac1457d6ae54fdc7.jpg


7c5cb4caa8cea89a6a10d05994a5c578.jpg


c9cd515c19f9711b9853eaf406913781.jpg


a195a14f7058914f5f13f3dbcc3cdb14.jpg


0299ee0d9b5ddd235bb2234eaf6dac8b.jpg


5a2c700375476a1a87de9749cbca1151.jpg


fe82c4a3802731cce7383bd5c3ffa52f.jpg


46e646c9642abb013c1ecddd23792c71.jpg


3ff8f513873867772624a22bcc4e8595.jpg

96691d2fda0c2d3454b2d9c41b3a45a7.jpg


d4f65bd9f32595bc4188e3ba0fdf28dc.jpg


ec845896585f0114b8585f4ae7c34b6e.jpg


f3efb6b0758a06cf22349b2f3f904c26.jpg
 
Great shots, Ferret. You seem to have adapted to the new milieu just fine. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Only cause Offroad spent an evening teaching me lol
 
Back
Top