Back in the Saddle

SportsterDoc

Road warrior
Thread starter
Some of you may remember that after an eye issue, Aug 2018, I sold my CB1100, Sep 2018.

In a moment of insanity, after my wife asked, "so, no more motorcycles", I agreed.

Since a Can-Am Ryker is not really a motorcycle, I had one last year from May-Oct. Fun, but very high RPM cruising RPMs with CVT.

My wife has released me from my promise. Tuesday I rode home a 2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Yesterday, I took a 90 mile ride to Mt Charleston:

Excellent cornering, 62 MPG, and although a delight to have my face in the wind, it was a tad chilly at 8,500 feet with only a long sleeve Carhartt work shirt over a short sleeve T.

Only 65 HP, compared to CB1100 86 HP, but pulls strong and stock exhaust is throaty, without being obnoxious.

Getting acquainted with it:
2022 Street Twin Tools

Heading out to Lake Mead within the hour.

Peter,thanks for the emails
Dave, thanks for the visit
LongRanger: Don't expect to ride it to Evergreen and #2 daughter and granddaughter have been flying to visit us here.
Ferret and Cormanus: Keep up the mileage
Popgun: Thanks for your help with diagnostic info when we were working on solving hi/lo/dying RPM issues. That was one VERY long thread!
Max/Peter: Thanks for your input on those issues

Lots of other good people on this forum. Do not intend to slight any, but the above quickly came to mind.

Pdedse, did you have a Street Twin, but not keep it long? I've had no issues with heat from cat or radiator, moving or stopped.

When I have some decent photos, I will post on TriumphRat.net and post a link.

Lake Mead tomorrow

Best to you all!
 
Congrats Doc!!

Does it have RLETS? :P
 
Jerry, glad to hear this good news, you have very understanding wife!!

Looking at the bike's pic and its service equipment, I noticed a multimeter absence....so if some member needs an electrical assistance, how can you help with your mobile service..:P
:D
 
Hey how about that! Happy for ya doc, and welcome back!
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Some of you may remember that after an eye issue, Aug 2018, I sold my CB1100, Sep 2018.

In a moment of insanity, after my wife asked, "so, no more motorcycles", I agreed.

Since a Can-Am Ryker is not really a motorcycle, I had one last year from May-Oct. Fun, but very high RPM cruising RPMs with CVT.

My wife has released me from my promise. Tuesday I rode home a 2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Yesterday, I took a 90 mile ride to Mt Charleston:

Excellent cornering, 62 MPG, and although a delight to have my face in the wind, it was a tad chilly at 8,500 feet with only a long sleeve Carhartt work shirt over a short sleeve T.

Only 65 HP, compared to CB1100 86 HP, but pulls strong and stock exhaust is throaty, without being obnoxious.

Getting acquainted with it:
2022 Street Twin Tools

Heading out to Lake Mead within the hour.

Peter,thanks for the emails
Dave, thanks for the visit
LongRanger: Don't expect to ride it to Evergreen and #2 daughter and granddaughter have been flying to visit us here.
Ferret and Cormanus: Keep up the mileage
Popgun: Thanks for your help with diagnostic info when we were working on solving hi/lo/dying RPM issues. That was one VERY long thread!
Max/Peter: Thanks for your input on those issues

Lots of other good people on this forum. Do not intend to slight any, but the above quickly came to mind.

Pdedse, did you have a Street Twin, but not keep it long? I've had no issues with heat from cat or radiator, moving or stopped.

When I have some decent photos, I will post on TriumphRat.net and post a link.

Lake Mead tomorrow

Best to you all!
Well, all I can say is...




I think I may have posted the Gomer Pyle vid before, but it best expresses my reaction to your return, SportsterDoc...very happy for you!!

SportsterDoc_imp said:
Some of you may remember that after an eye issue, Aug 2018, I sold my CB1100, Sep 2018.

In a moment of insanity, after my wife asked, "so, no more motorcycles", I agreed.

Since a Can-Am Ryker is not really a motorcycle, I had one last year from May-Oct. Fun, but very high RPM cruising RPMs with CVT.

My wife has released me from my promise. Tuesday I rode home a 2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Yesterday, I took a 90 mile ride to Mt Charleston:

Excellent cornering, 62 MPG, and although a delight to have my face in the wind, it was a tad chilly at 8,500 feet with only a long sleeve Carhartt work shirt over a short sleeve T.

Only 65 HP, compared to CB1100 86 HP, but pulls strong and stock exhaust is throaty, without being obnoxious.

Getting acquainted with it:
2022 Street Twin Tools

Heading out to Lake Mead within the hour.

Peter,thanks for the emails
Dave, thanks for the visit
LongRanger: Don't expect to ride it to Evergreen and #2 daughter and granddaughter have been flying to visit us here.
Ferret and Cormanus: Keep up the mileage
Popgun: Thanks for your help with diagnostic info when we were working on solving hi/lo/dying RPM issues. That was one VERY long thread!
Max/Peter: Thanks for your input on those issues

Lots of other good people on this forum. Do not intend to slight any, but the above quickly came to mind.

Pdedse, did you have a Street Twin, but not keep it long? I've had no issues with heat from cat or radiator, moving or stopped.

When I have some decent photos, I will post on TriumphRat.net and post a link.

Lake Mead tomorrow

Best to you all!
Correct. I traded in my '14 CB1100 Standard for an end of the year '17 Street Twin. They gave me a fair trade-in price and the ST was nicely discounted as well.
254f36c9a6ca73dd4a5b25176e4bfd2b.jpg


But the ST was an even tighter fit for me than the CB1100, and I missed the heft of the CB for hiway traveling, so I went back to the CB1100 finding a good deal on a '17EX and sold my ST for only $400 less than what I paid for. I only had it for about 3 months, a great looking bike, fun to ride, but as stated a bit too cramped for me.

At the the time, there were issues with how the throttle cables (and others?, can't remember exactly) were routed, that they rubbed against the frame and to watch for wear. I think Triumph corrected the issue for '19 and newer models.

Loved the looks, loved the engine.

I hope you enjoy yours.
 
pdedse_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Some of you may remember that after an eye issue, Aug 2018, I sold my CB1100, Sep 2018.

In a moment of insanity, after my wife asked, "so, no more motorcycles", I agreed.

Since a Can-Am Ryker is not really a motorcycle, I had one last year from May-Oct. Fun, but very high RPM cruising RPMs with CVT.

My wife has released me from my promise. Tuesday I rode home a 2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Yesterday, I took a 90 mile ride to Mt Charleston:

Excellent cornering, 62 MPG, and although a delight to have my face in the wind, it was a tad chilly at 8,500 feet with only a long sleeve Carhartt work shirt over a short sleeve T.

Only 65 HP, compared to CB1100 86 HP, but pulls strong and stock exhaust is throaty, without being obnoxious.

Getting acquainted with it:
2022 Street Twin Tools

Heading out to Lake Mead within the hour.

Peter,thanks for the emails
Dave, thanks for the visit
LongRanger: Don't expect to ride it to Evergreen and #2 daughter and granddaughter have been flying to visit us here.
Ferret and Cormanus: Keep up the mileage
Popgun: Thanks for your help with diagnostic info when we were working on solving hi/lo/dying RPM issues. That was one VERY long thread!
Max/Peter: Thanks for your input on those issues

Lots of other good people on this forum. Do not intend to slight any, but the above quickly came to mind.

Pdedse, did you have a Street Twin, but not keep it long? I've had no issues with heat from cat or radiator, moving or stopped.

When I have some decent photos, I will post on TriumphRat.net and post a link.

Lake Mead tomorrow

Best to you all!
Well, all I can say is...




I think I may have posted the Gomer Pyle vid before, but it best expresses my reaction to your return, SportsterDoc...very happy for you!!

SportsterDoc_imp said:
Some of you may remember that after an eye issue, Aug 2018, I sold my CB1100, Sep 2018.

In a moment of insanity, after my wife asked, "so, no more motorcycles", I agreed.

Since a Can-Am Ryker is not really a motorcycle, I had one last year from May-Oct. Fun, but very high RPM cruising RPMs with CVT.

My wife has released me from my promise. Tuesday I rode home a 2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Yesterday, I took a 90 mile ride to Mt Charleston:

Excellent cornering, 62 MPG, and although a delight to have my face in the wind, it was a tad chilly at 8,500 feet with only a long sleeve Carhartt work shirt over a short sleeve T.

Only 65 HP, compared to CB1100 86 HP, but pulls strong and stock exhaust is throaty, without being obnoxious.

Getting acquainted with it:
2022 Street Twin Tools

Heading out to Lake Mead within the hour.

Peter,thanks for the emails
Dave, thanks for the visit
LongRanger: Don't expect to ride it to Evergreen and #2 daughter and granddaughter have been flying to visit us here.
Ferret and Cormanus: Keep up the mileage
Popgun: Thanks for your help with diagnostic info when we were working on solving hi/lo/dying RPM issues. That was one VERY long thread!
Max/Peter: Thanks for your input on those issues

Lots of other good people on this forum. Do not intend to slight any, but the above quickly came to mind.

Pdedse, did you have a Street Twin, but not keep it long? I've had no issues with heat from cat or radiator, moving or stopped.

When I have some decent photos, I will post on TriumphRat.net and post a link.

Lake Mead tomorrow

Best to you all!
Correct. I traded in my '14 CB1100 Standard for an end of the year '17 Street Twin. They gave me a fair trade-in price and the ST was nicely discounted as well.
254f36c9a6ca73dd4a5b25176e4bfd2b.jpg


But the ST was an even tighter fit for me than the CB1100, and I missed the heft of the CB for hiway traveling, so I went back to the CB1100 finding a good deal on a '17EX and sold my ST for only $400 less than what I paid for. I only had it for about 3 months, a great looking bike, fun to ride, but as stated a bit too cramped for me.

At the the time, there were issues with how the throttle cables (and others?, can't remember exactly) were routed, that they rubbed against the frame and to watch for wear. I think Triumph corrected the issue for '19 and newer models.

Loved the looks, loved the engine.

I hope you enjoy yours.
Lovely bike pdedse.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Some of you may remember that after an eye issue, Aug 2018, I sold my CB1100, Sep 2018.

In a moment of insanity, after my wife asked, "so, no more motorcycles", I agreed.

Since a Can-Am Ryker is not really a motorcycle, I had one last year from May-Oct. Fun, but very high RPM cruising RPMs with CVT.

My wife has released me from my promise. Tuesday I rode home a 2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Yesterday, I took a 90 mile ride to Mt Charleston:

Excellent cornering, 62 MPG, and although a delight to have my face in the wind, it was a tad chilly at 8,500 feet with only a long sleeve Carhartt work shirt over a short sleeve T.

Only 65 HP, compared to CB1100 86 HP, but pulls strong and stock exhaust is throaty, without being obnoxious.

Getting acquainted with it:
2022 Street Twin Tools

Heading out to Lake Mead within the hour.

Peter,thanks for the emails
Dave, thanks for the visit
LongRanger: Don't expect to ride it to Evergreen and #2 daughter and granddaughter have been flying to visit us here.
Ferret and Cormanus: Keep up the mileage
Popgun: Thanks for your help with diagnostic info when we were working on solving hi/lo/dying RPM issues. That was one VERY long thread!
Max/Peter: Thanks for your input on those issues

Lots of other good people on this forum. Do not intend to slight any, but the above quickly came to mind.

Pdedse, did you have a Street Twin, but not keep it long? I've had no issues with heat from cat or radiator, moving or stopped.

When I have some decent photos, I will post on TriumphRat.net and post a link.

Lake Mead tomorrow

Best to you all!
Well, all I can say is...




I think I may have posted the Gomer Pyle vid before, but it best expresses my reaction to your return, SportsterDoc...very happy for you!!

SportsterDoc_imp said:
Some of you may remember that after an eye issue, Aug 2018, I sold my CB1100, Sep 2018.

In a moment of insanity, after my wife asked, "so, no more motorcycles", I agreed.

Since a Can-Am Ryker is not really a motorcycle, I had one last year from May-Oct. Fun, but very high RPM cruising RPMs with CVT.

My wife has released me from my promise. Tuesday I rode home a 2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Yesterday, I took a 90 mile ride to Mt Charleston:

Excellent cornering, 62 MPG, and although a delight to have my face in the wind, it was a tad chilly at 8,500 feet with only a long sleeve Carhartt work shirt over a short sleeve T.

Only 65 HP, compared to CB1100 86 HP, but pulls strong and stock exhaust is throaty, without being obnoxious.

Getting acquainted with it:
2022 Street Twin Tools

Heading out to Lake Mead within the hour.

Peter,thanks for the emails
Dave, thanks for the visit
LongRanger: Don't expect to ride it to Evergreen and #2 daughter and granddaughter have been flying to visit us here.
Ferret and Cormanus: Keep up the mileage
Popgun: Thanks for your help with diagnostic info when we were working on solving hi/lo/dying RPM issues. That was one VERY long thread!
Max/Peter: Thanks for your input on those issues

Lots of other good people on this forum. Do not intend to slight any, but the above quickly came to mind.

Pdedse, did you have a Street Twin, but not keep it long? I've had no issues with heat from cat or radiator, moving or stopped.

When I have some decent photos, I will post on TriumphRat.net and post a link.

Lake Mead tomorrow

Best to you all!
Correct. I traded in my '14 CB1100 Standard for an end of the year '17 Street Twin. They gave me a fair trade-in price and the ST was nicely discounted as well.
254f36c9a6ca73dd4a5b25176e4bfd2b.jpg


But the ST was an even tighter fit for me than the CB1100, and I missed the heft of the CB for hiway traveling, so I went back to the CB1100 finding a good deal on a '17EX and sold my ST for only $400 less than what I paid for. I only had it for about 3 months, a great looking bike, fun to ride, but as stated a bit too cramped for me.

At the the time, there were issues with how the throttle cables (and others?, can't remember exactly) were routed, that they rubbed against the frame and to watch for wear. I think Triumph corrected the issue for '19 and newer models.

Loved the looks, loved the engine.

I hope you enjoy yours.
Lovely bike pdedse.
If had the money and space for three + bikes, I wouldn't have sold the Street Twin...I just wouldn't have used it for outings lasting more than 3 hours.
 
Yes! That little bike is absolutely top notch. My wife loves hers. She said the moment she sat on it she knew it was her pinnacle bike. Congratulations! Out of curiosity...how tall are you?
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality: Dad was 6', Mom was 5'. I am about 5'-6" (~5'7" before 1963 M/C crash-spinal compression).

Funny, dad was 5-6" taller, but same inseam: 29". His height was in his torso.

My Vrod friend is 6'5", but can barely flat foot his African Twin!
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Excellent news! Congratulations SportsterDoc!
Thank you!

Stitchill: I saw that thread, but not yet looked through it. For me, life after/between was extensive research on what I wanted next!
 
I have found that in the end, numbers don't mean that much; how the bike feels to you and meets or exceeds your expectations (and wants) are much more important.

Have fun!
 
pdedse_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Some of you may remember that after an eye issue, Aug 2018, I sold my CB1100, Sep 2018.

In a moment of insanity, after my wife asked, "so, no more motorcycles", I agreed.

Since a Can-Am Ryker is not really a motorcycle, I had one last year from May-Oct. Fun, but very high RPM cruising RPMs with CVT.

My wife has released me from my promise. Tuesday I rode home a 2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Yesterday, I took a 90 mile ride to Mt Charleston:

Excellent cornering, 62 MPG, and although a delight to have my face in the wind, it was a tad chilly at 8,500 feet with only a long sleeve Carhartt work shirt over a short sleeve T.

Only 65 HP, compared to CB1100 86 HP, but pulls strong and stock exhaust is throaty, without being obnoxious.

Getting acquainted with it:
2022 Street Twin Tools

Heading out to Lake Mead within the hour.

Peter,thanks for the emails
Dave, thanks for the visit
LongRanger: Don't expect to ride it to Evergreen and #2 daughter and granddaughter have been flying to visit us here.
Ferret and Cormanus: Keep up the mileage
Popgun: Thanks for your help with diagnostic info when we were working on solving hi/lo/dying RPM issues. That was one VERY long thread!
Max/Peter: Thanks for your input on those issues

Lots of other good people on this forum. Do not intend to slight any, but the above quickly came to mind.

Pdedse, did you have a Street Twin, but not keep it long? I've had no issues with heat from cat or radiator, moving or stopped.

When I have some decent photos, I will post on TriumphRat.net and post a link.

Lake Mead tomorrow

Best to you all!
Well, all I can say is...




I think I may have posted the Gomer Pyle vid before, but it best expresses my reaction to your return, SportsterDoc...very happy for you!!

SportsterDoc_imp said:
Some of you may remember that after an eye issue, Aug 2018, I sold my CB1100, Sep 2018.

In a moment of insanity, after my wife asked, "so, no more motorcycles", I agreed.

Since a Can-Am Ryker is not really a motorcycle, I had one last year from May-Oct. Fun, but very high RPM cruising RPMs with CVT.

My wife has released me from my promise. Tuesday I rode home a 2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Yesterday, I took a 90 mile ride to Mt Charleston:

Excellent cornering, 62 MPG, and although a delight to have my face in the wind, it was a tad chilly at 8,500 feet with only a long sleeve Carhartt work shirt over a short sleeve T.

Only 65 HP, compared to CB1100 86 HP, but pulls strong and stock exhaust is throaty, without being obnoxious.

Getting acquainted with it:
2022 Street Twin Tools

Heading out to Lake Mead within the hour.

Peter,thanks for the emails
Dave, thanks for the visit
LongRanger: Don't expect to ride it to Evergreen and #2 daughter and granddaughter have been flying to visit us here.
Ferret and Cormanus: Keep up the mileage
Popgun: Thanks for your help with diagnostic info when we were working on solving hi/lo/dying RPM issues. That was one VERY long thread!
Max/Peter: Thanks for your input on those issues

Lots of other good people on this forum. Do not intend to slight any, but the above quickly came to mind.

Pdedse, did you have a Street Twin, but not keep it long? I've had no issues with heat from cat or radiator, moving or stopped.

When I have some decent photos, I will post on TriumphRat.net and post a link.

Lake Mead tomorrow

Best to you all!
Correct. I traded in my '14 CB1100 Standard for an end of the year '17 Street Twin. They gave me a fair trade-in price and the ST was nicely discounted as well.
254f36c9a6ca73dd4a5b25176e4bfd2b.jpg


But the ST was an even tighter fit for me than the CB1100, and I missed the heft of the CB for hiway traveling, so I went back to the CB1100 finding a good deal on a '17EX and sold my ST for only $400 less than what I paid for. I only had it for about 3 months, a great looking bike, fun to ride, but as stated a bit too cramped for me.

At the the time, there were issues with how the throttle cables (and others?, can't remember exactly) were routed, that they rubbed against the frame and to watch for wear. I think Triumph corrected the issue for '19 and newer models.

Loved the looks, loved the engine.

I hope you enjoy yours.
Well, all I can say is...




I think I may have posted the Gomer Pyle vid before, but it best expresses my reaction to your return, SportsterDoc...very happy for you!!

SportsterDoc_imp said:
Some of you may remember that after an eye issue, Aug 2018, I sold my CB1100, Sep 2018.

In a moment of insanity, after my wife asked, "so, no more motorcycles", I agreed.

Since a Can-Am Ryker is not really a motorcycle, I had one last year from May-Oct. Fun, but very high RPM cruising RPMs with CVT.

My wife has released me from my promise. Tuesday I rode home a 2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. Yesterday, I took a 90 mile ride to Mt Charleston:

Excellent cornering, 62 MPG, and although a delight to have my face in the wind, it was a tad chilly at 8,500 feet with only a long sleeve Carhartt work shirt over a short sleeve T.

Only 65 HP, compared to CB1100 86 HP, but pulls strong and stock exhaust is throaty, without being obnoxious.

Getting acquainted with it:
2022 Street Twin Tools

Heading out to Lake Mead within the hour.

Peter,thanks for the emails
Dave, thanks for the visit
LongRanger: Don't expect to ride it to Evergreen and #2 daughter and granddaughter have been flying to visit us here.
Ferret and Cormanus: Keep up the mileage
Popgun: Thanks for your help with diagnostic info when we were working on solving hi/lo/dying RPM issues. That was one VERY long thread!
Max/Peter: Thanks for your input on those issues

Lots of other good people on this forum. Do not intend to slight any, but the above quickly came to mind.

Pdedse, did you have a Street Twin, but not keep it long? I've had no issues with heat from cat or radiator, moving or stopped.

When I have some decent photos, I will post on TriumphRat.net and post a link.

Lake Mead tomorrow

Best to you all!
Correct. I traded in my '14 CB1100 Standard for an end of the year '17 Street Twin. They gave me a fair trade-in price and the ST was nicely discounted as well.
84f254320ac6748662cff1854e8afce3.jpg


But the ST was an even tighter fit for me than the CB1100, and I missed the heft of the CB for hiway traveling, so I went back to the CB1100 finding a good deal on a '17EX and sold my ST for only $400 less than what I paid for. I only had it for about 3 months, a great looking bike, fun to ride, but as stated a bit too cramped for me.

At the the time, there were issues with how the throttle cables (and others?, can't remember exactly) were routed, that they rubbed against the frame and to watch for wear. I think Triumph corrected the issue for '19 and newer models.

Loved the looks, loved the engine.

I hope you enjoy yours. As a former owner of a 2003 Speedmaster, I still like the looks of the Triumph Twin, well most of them. Not too fond of their triples though. Yours looked really sharp.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
misterprofessionality: Dad was 6', Mom was 5'. I am about 5'-6" (~5'7" before 1963 M/C crash-spinal compression).

Funny, dad was 5-6" taller, but same inseam: 29". His height was in his torso.

My Vrod friend is 6'5", but can barely flat foot his African Twin!
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Excellent news! Congratulations SportsterDoc!
Thank you!

Stitchill: I saw that thread, but not yet looked through it. For me, life after/between was extensive research on what I wanted next!
I seem to recall that "back in the day", smoking while young tended to result in short legs. Smoking would "Stunt your growth!" Adults may have been onto something.

P.S. I'm short, but never smoked. When I was a :cool: 18-year-old, I pretended to smoke, but I grew out of that affectation in about a month. It was mostly about trying to look cool in my convertible. :)

P.P.S. The Street Twin is a torquey little beastie. My buddy has one and it pulls a lot harder than you would think it should, and the exhaust note is quite authoritative. Good choice! :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
OK, Stichill, now you need to explain your avatar!

Never smoked. Tasted one cigarette with I was 8, 14 and 20.
 
Back
Top