a Rocky Mountain high ***New pics added***

Wow!

Red Rock looks amazing, Ferret. You could either stick around or pop back and see Joe there in person on 23 August!
 
Ferret even takes great pictures when leading!

02b2ddaa3acfd009473dfe9a9f0a9cea.jpg
 
Yeah ... he's got that mirror trick off pat. I can never quite pull it off.
 
Thread starter
Interesting fun fact yesterday we were at 7200 feet elev at Evergreen Lake and 30 miles later we were at 14,200 feet. A 7,000 foot elevation climb. The CBs never faltered. Fuel injection is good!
 
Was that from Evergreen Lake to Mt Evans? Looks like a fun road.
 
Thread starter
Yes but we took a back road yesterday a little tighter than the main road which was also great.
 
Coming down from Pike's Peak....all the curves at the bottom that looks like a river is really the road we came up.
1735f2b962d49da994977c8118ac71bc.jpg
 
offroad, LongRanger, Ferret, is that rocky landscape natural or has there been extensive deforestation?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
offroad, LongRanger, Ferret, is that rocky landscape natural or has there been extensive deforestation?
LongRanger will probably explain it better, but I think that is because we are above the tree line
 
Great trip post, guys! I've been off plane camping for the last 5 days and I'm just catching up with all of the fun.

After having spent a week roaming CO's passes a few years back, I can see that I hardly scratched the surface. Now I'm gonna have to go back and try some of these routes.

I'm back on the CB in Idaho, so I'll check back in a few days to catch the end of this epic journey!
 
Thread starter
5:30 am Denver, getting ready to leave for home in a few mins. BIttersweet. Some great ridng out here. IF it wasn't for the 8 months of winter and horrible freeway traffic it would be a great place to live. CAn't wait to get home to the rolling hills of southern Ohio though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
5:30 am Denver, getting ready to leave for home in a few mins. BIttersweet. Some great ridng out here. IF it wasn't for the 8 months of winter and horrible freeway traffic it would be a great place to live. CAn't wait to get home to the rolling hills of southern Ohio though.
Be it ever so humble there's no place like home :thumbsup:
Looks like you had a wonderful time - and of course you are the envy of all of us :D
 
Safe travels back east Ferret and OffRoad. Thanks to all three of you for sharing your tour with us. I love Colorado, but only visited there on four wheels. I can't wait to go back on two.
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
offroad, LongRanger, Ferret, is that rocky landscape natural or has there been extensive deforestation?
LongRanger will probably explain it better, but I think that is because we are above the tree line
LongRanger will probably explain it better, but I think that is because we are above the tree line I don't know if I can explain it better, but at this latitude, treelne is about 11,000'. Trees can't survive above that. As you move further north, like into Montana and British Columbia, the tree line gets lower (I think it's only around 6000' in Glacier National Park).

There's been little deforestation in Colorado, which poses a significant threat because we've lost millions of trees to beetle infestation and there is a lot of dead forest waiting to burn. Some of these fires can't be extinguished until the snows come in September / October.
 
Thanks, LongRanger. Makes sense. I guess it's covered in snow for much of the year.
 
Indeed. Here's how Mt. Evans looks from the Denver suburbs. Keep in mind Denver sits at 5,280', so it's about a 9,000' change in elevation from downtown to the summit. The road doesn't open until early June and closes in early September, so about three months. The peak is usually snow covered from September into June and can be seen from 105 miles away.

49904e214ddbdfb617e8c55011aabf75.jpg


We saw some of these guys frolicking on the rocks up there too.

8b7316d9073347fef5a35425310e1f93.jpg
 
Thread starter
We decided to push through and are 80 miles from Offroads house. 15 hours down, 1 more to go.
 
Back
Top