a Rocky Mountain high ***New pics added***

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Good golly miss molly what a first day of riding in Colorado. Longranger took us on a great ride today. Rode past entrance to Mt Evans ( highest auto road in U.S. which we will ride up later I'm told) rode Clear Creek Canyon, the Peak to Peak Hwy, ate brunch in Estes Park, went through the Rocky Mt National Park crossing the Continental Divide once, visited Grand Lake, rode home through Bethoud Pass, crossing the Continental Divide a second time. Very warm down low, kinda cool up high. All totaled 253 miles.

Of course I took a ton of pics but can't post em. Maybe Offroad will post a few he took.

Tomorrow I know we are riding up Pike's Peak.

Longranger is the consumate host and tour guide, and the guy can ride like nobody's business. Luckily, keeping him in sight so far lol.

Oh, interestingly we filled up this morning, rode 164 miles and filled up again and I took 2.1 gals for 78 mpg. LR took 2.5 gals 66 mpg and Offroad 2.7 gals. 61 mpg.
 
Great times!
ca1410aa566c4736d2b494f1f4ad944d.jpg

cf95029c91c704df8ba8c7d73f4fe744.jpg
 
I'm surprised you only crossed the Continental Divide once. When I was up there I seemed to be crossing it every hour. Seemed like every tall pass crossed the divide.

Glad to hear you're having a great time. I'm envious!

The ferret_imp said:
Good golly miss molly what a first day of riding in Colorado. Longranger took us on a great ride today. Rode past entrance to Mt Evans ( highest auto road in U.S. which we will ride up later I'm told) rode Clear Creek Canyon, the Peak to Peak Hwy, ate brunch in Estes Park, went through the Rocky Mt National Park crossing the Continental Divide once, visited Grand Lake, rode home through Bethoud Pass, crossing the Continental Divide a second time. Very warm down low, kinda cool up high. All totaled 253 miles.

Of course I took a ton of pics but can't post em. Maybe Offroad will post a few he took.

Tomorrow I know we are riding up Pike's Peak.

Longranger is the consumate host and tour guide, and the guy can ride like nobody's business. Luckily, keeping him in sight so far lol.

Oh, interestingly we filled up this morning, rode 164 miles and filled up again and I took 2.1 gals for 78 mpg. LR took 2.5 gals 66 mpg and Offroad 2.7 gals. 61 mpg.
High altitude and curvy roads will do that. I recorded my best mpg ever on a loop from Monarch Pass to Breckenridge and back. Of course, it pales in comparison to your legendary performance, but I managed 59 mpg that day.

Ride on and post pics!
 
Nice work on the triple selfies, Offroad! Not easy but you got some great shots of the crew! Great sweeping, round switchbacks on 40 there...like the American Alps! :thumbsup:

Ride on, gents! :biker:
 
It is hard to put into words the intensity of the envy I feel as I read this thread. Keep up the good work. ;)
 
GREAT thread!! Off Road, please pick up the slack for Ferret (who apparently thinks this is some sort of vacation) and post up pics every four hours (or sooner) so we have an almost real time status report/data flow to see how this all plays out.

Forgot to add this....3 CB's in one place. doesn't that qualify as a Rally vs a road trip?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Good golly miss molly what a first day of riding in Colorado. Longranger took us on a great ride today. Rode past entrance to Mt Evans ( highest auto road in U.S. which we will ride up later I'm told) rode Clear Creek Canyon, the Peak to Peak Hwy, ate brunch in Estes Park, went through the Rocky Mt National Park crossing the Continental Divide once, visited Grand Lake, rode home through Bethoud Pass, crossing the Continental Divide a second time. Very warm down low, kinda cool up high. All totaled 253 miles.

Of course I took a ton of pics but can't post em. Maybe Offroad will post a few he took.

Tomorrow I know we are riding up Pike's Peak.

Longranger is the consumate host and tour guide, and the guy can ride like nobody's business. Luckily, keeping him in sight so far lol.

Oh, interestingly we filled up this morning, rode 164 miles and filled up again and I took 2.1 gals for 78 mpg. LR took 2.5 gals 66 mpg and Offroad 2.7 gals. 61 mpg.
While we can look forward to offroad's pictures, Ferret, I, for one, refuse to accept that you can't easily learn the demands of a new photo hosting service. Postimage is probably easier than Botophucket and Imgur is not too hard. I'm happy to help you.

The ferret_imp said:
Good golly miss molly what a first day of riding in Colorado. Longranger took us on a great ride today. Rode past entrance to Mt Evans ( highest auto road in U.S. which we will ride up later I'm told) rode Clear Creek Canyon, the Peak to Peak Hwy, ate brunch in Estes Park, went through the Rocky Mt National Park crossing the Continental Divide once, visited Grand Lake, rode home through Bethoud Pass, crossing the Continental Divide a second time. Very warm down low, kinda cool up high. All totaled 253 miles.

Of course I took a ton of pics but can't post em. Maybe Offroad will post a few he took.

Tomorrow I know we are riding up Pike's Peak.

Longranger is the consumate host and tour guide, and the guy can ride like nobody's business. Luckily, keeping him in sight so far lol.

Oh, interestingly we filled up this morning, rode 164 miles and filled up again and I took 2.1 gals for 78 mpg. LR took 2.5 gals 66 mpg and Offroad 2.7 gals. 61 mpg.
LongRanger, be careful of allowing this sort of praise. You may end up with all sorts of people on your doorstep demanding to be taken for a ride. On a bike, that is. On scenic routes!

EmptySea_imp said:
It is hard to put into words the intensity of the envy I feel as I read this thread. Keep up the good work. ;)
+1 seems an inadequate statement of support for this, so "what MTC said"!
 
Thread starter
Morning fellas...

Flyn...we crossed the CD twice yesterday once in RMNP and once thru Berthoud Pass.

To give you guys an idea of what elevation does to temp, yesterday it was 100 f in Denver and 43f in Berthoud Pass..

Here the smell of Ponderosa Pine is encompassing as you ride thru the near Alpine forested roads. Road surfaces have been very good. We ran into some resurfacing yesterday but not much. In the more touristy spots traffic moves but it moves slowly. So many people in RMNP and in Estes. It's summer tourist season.

Stichill 40 was a blast and we ran it pretty good Trying to avoid a late afternoon shower that was coming in over the mountains. Apparently afternoon rains are common as the atmosphere charges up from the heating of the day meeting the cool mountain air. LR and Offroad are finding great delight in discussing the scientific reason for all this. I am pretty much out of that conversation once you get past " it's going to rain" lol

Cormanus I will figure out something for pictures eventually
 
The ferret_imp said:
Good golly miss molly what a first day of riding in Colorado. Longranger took us on a great ride today. Rode past entrance to Mt Evans ( highest auto road in U.S. which we will ride up later I'm told) rode Clear Creek Canyon, the Peak to Peak Hwy, ate brunch in Estes Park, went through the Rocky Mt National Park crossing the Continental Divide once, visited Grand Lake, rode home through Bethoud Pass, crossing the Continental Divide a second time. Very warm down low, kinda cool up high. All totaled 253 miles.

Of course I took a ton of pics but can't post em. Maybe Offroad will post a few he took.

Tomorrow I know we are riding up Pike's Peak.

Longranger is the consumate host and tour guide, and the guy can ride like nobody's business. Luckily, keeping him in sight so far lol.

Oh, interestingly we filled up this morning, rode 164 miles and filled up again and I took 2.1 gals for 78 mpg. LR took 2.5 gals 66 mpg and Offroad 2.7 gals. 61 mpg.
Awesome report and thread. Those roads were my home before moving to the midwest. I B N V S :) :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Ok just got in from dinner.

Today's ride was 270 miles on some more outstanding roads. We took off about 8:30 am and headed over a great curvy road (67) for a town called Green Mountain Falls where we had brunch at a neat little place called The Pantry. Cool little place. Very popular, we had to wait for a table. After lunch we hit Pikes Peak and on my second try ( got turned around at the 13 mile marker in 2014) this time made it all the way to the top. The last 6 miles is steep, and breath taking and cold. Too many tourists though. If you ever go, go when the kiddies are back in school.

Anyhow after Pikes Peak we hit Cripple Creek and Tarryall Rd which was unbelieveable. Perfect high speed sweepers with good line of site, back and forth, back and forth. Awesome. Offroad really took a giant leap forward on his skill set on this road. Without having to worry what was around the bend ( because he could see beyond the bend) he was able to conentrate on lines. Following LongRanger really helped as LR picks great lines and carries plenty of corner speed. He's really smooth too. It was fun to watch from my tail position.On the way back home we hit Kenosha Pass and got very wet as the rain came down pretty hard.

Things are drying out now and LR has another great day of riding planned for tomorrow. This is almost too much fun. I think we are crossing the Continental Divide 4 times tomorrow.
 
Thread starter
FYI Cormanus.. Pikes Peak is 14,115 feet
 
That's a decent sort of mountain, Ferret. Just less than twice as high as Australia's highest mountain. You can imagine how jealous I am. Still, it's great you guys are having a good time and sharing bits of it. Thanks for that
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ok just got in from dinner.

Today's ride was 270 miles on some more outstanding roads. We took off about 8:30 am and headed over a great curvy road (67) for a town called Green Mountain Falls where we had brunch at a neat little place called The Pantry. Cool little place. Very popular, we had to wait for a table. After lunch we hit Pikes Peak and on my second try ( got turned around at the 13 mile marker in 2014) this time made it all the way to the top. The last 6 miles is steep, and breath taking and cold. Too many tourists though. If you ever go, go when the kiddies are back in school.

Anyhow after Pikes Peak we hit Cripple Creek and Tarryall Rd which was unbelieveable. Perfect high speed sweepers with good line of site, back and forth, back and forth. Awesome. Offroad really took a giant leap forward on his skill set on this road. Without having to worry what was around the bend ( because he could see beyond the bend) he was able to conentrate on lines. Following LongRanger really helped as LR picks great lines and carries plenty of corner speed. He's really smooth too. It was fun to watch from my tail position.On the way back home we hit Kenosha Pass and got very wet as the rain came down pretty hard.

Things are drying out now and LR has another great day of riding planned for tomorrow. This is almost too much fun. I think we are crossing the Continental Divide 4 times tomorrow.
Nothing like riding with and being coached by two highly experienced accomplished riders. It was a great day and a great learning experience! Much appreciated!
 
I'd like to hear your comparison between Mt. Evans and Pike's Peak. I've done Mt. Evans, but not Pike's Peak. Enjoy.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top