A little mechanical excitement

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
Being a mechanical klutz, I send the bike to a mechanic for anything non trivial.

It's approaching 120,000 kms now and the valves have not been inspected for the past 30,000+ kms, the brake and clutch fluid need changing, my BT31s are at the end of their useful life (nearly 18,000 kms), and I need a new chain and sprockets after 43,000+ kms.

The bloke I've been going to has moved on to other things, so I found a local chap—which is good because I can walk home after dropping the bike—and left the bike with him late on Wednesday so they could do everything on Thursday.

About 3.00 pm on Thursday I got a telephone call from the workshop and, even while we exchanged pleasantries, I could tell the news was not going to be completely good. After a brief conversation and dispensation from my wife, I leapt (in my dreams) in the car and went around.

The "special bolt" (part #90037-422-003) and accompanying washer (part #90459-438-000) had worked their way loose from the end of the countershaft comp (part #23220-MGC-000) and vanished somewhere along the road. In so doing, they'd punched a hole in the Cover Assy., L. RR. Crankcase (part #11650-MAZ-010) and allowed the sprocket (part #23442-MS2-610) to slide in and out along the countershaft.

The top of one of the internal screws (part #90118-MR1-000) had been partly ground away by the chain and it looks from the photos below like the chain (which was to be replaced anyway) sustained some damage as well.

Here (courtesy of the mechanic who worked on the bike) are some pictures for your entertainment.


[url=https://postimg.cc/rzJ58tcX]

[url=https://postimg.cc/Tp3ghYYy]
 
Soo.....he replaced the chain and then this happened? That means that all of this repair is on him?
 
Yikes! That's a serious looking hole in the sprocket cover.

Would it be safe to assume that these are not the original sprockets? My guess would be that whomever installed that countershaft sprocket the last time possibly did not torque it to spec.

With that sprocket and chain wobbling back and forth on the countershaft, I'm surprised that you weren't able to feel or hear it when metal rubbed metal.

What a bummer, Cormanus! Hopefully this will not cost you too much financial pain. Since you were already going to replace the chain and sprockets, it looks like the only extra parts you'll need are the cover, bolt, washer and screws.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
Soo.....he replaced the chain and then this happened? That means that all of this repair is on him?
No. Someone else replaced the chain just under 2 years and 43,000 kms ago. I doubt I could land it on him.

Flynrider_imp said:
Yikes! That's a serious looking hole in the sprocket cover.

Would it be safe to assume that these are not the original sprockets? My guess would be that whomever installed that countershaft sprocket the last time possibly did not torque it to spec.

With that sprocket and chain wobbling back and forth on the countershaft, I'm surprised that you weren't able to feel or hear it when metal rubbed metal.

What a bummer, Cormanus! Hopefully this will not cost you too much financial pain. Since you were already going to replace the chain and sprockets, it looks like the only extra parts you'll need are the cover, bolt, washer and screws.
It is.

Flynrider_imp said:
Yikes! That's a serious looking hole in the sprocket cover.

Would it be safe to assume that these are not the original sprockets? My guess would be that whomever installed that countershaft sprocket the last time possibly did not torque it to spec.

With that sprocket and chain wobbling back and forth on the countershaft, I'm surprised that you weren't able to feel or hear it when metal rubbed metal.

What a bummer, Cormanus! Hopefully this will not cost you too much financial pain. Since you were already going to replace the chain and sprockets, it looks like the only extra parts you'll need are the cover, bolt, washer and screws.
They are the third set of sprockets on the bike. I guess not torquing it to spec is a possibility.

Flynrider_imp said:
Yikes! That's a serious looking hole in the sprocket cover.

Would it be safe to assume that these are not the original sprockets? My guess would be that whomever installed that countershaft sprocket the last time possibly did not torque it to spec.

With that sprocket and chain wobbling back and forth on the countershaft, I'm surprised that you weren't able to feel or hear it when metal rubbed metal.

What a bummer, Cormanus! Hopefully this will not cost you too much financial pain. Since you were already going to replace the chain and sprockets, it looks like the only extra parts you'll need are the cover, bolt, washer and screws.
Yes, me too. I've had trouble with the chain for a while. I think it may have had a tight spot and, if it wasn't really well lubed, it would lunk a bit as I took off. I think the bolt has only dropped out recently. I have a vague recollection of hearing a knock, like I'd flicked up a slightly larger than usual stone. As nothing else seemed to happen, I thought little more about it. Fortunately, I don't think there's much room for the sprocket to move on the countershaft as the cover sits pretty close in. I should though have heard some metal on metal. Better get a hearing test as well.

Flynrider_imp said:
Yikes! That's a serious looking hole in the sprocket cover.

Would it be safe to assume that these are not the original sprockets? My guess would be that whomever installed that countershaft sprocket the last time possibly did not torque it to spec.

With that sprocket and chain wobbling back and forth on the countershaft, I'm surprised that you weren't able to feel or hear it when metal rubbed metal.

What a bummer, Cormanus! Hopefully this will not cost you too much financial pain. Since you were already going to replace the chain and sprockets, it looks like the only extra parts you'll need are the cover, bolt, washer and screws.
Fortunately its not too bad. The bolt and washer are reasonable; the cover is a shade north of AU$200 which seems a little rich to me. I suppose I'll have to replace it so there's something to catch the next bolt. :P
 
Hm, so there was that hole in the cover and you didn't notice it?

Glad nothing worse happened.
 
When a cover assembly is behind a cosmetic plastic moulding it could be thought of as being concealed unless disassembly is engaged in.

So now the chain quirk is resolved, good to catch up last week.

Regards NRTM
 
Cormanus, as an alternative to replacing the cover; I’m sure someone could weld the hole.

As a suggestion. Drill out a piece of aluminum with a hole saw, just larger than the hole. Trace the “slug” from the hole saw onto the cover. Carefully make it so the slug just fits. Weld the slug in place.
 
Thread starter
Django, it’s the inner cover and not normally visible.

Noroomtomove, I’m not sure that was the chain problem. It happened after I got home, I think.

Razor, thank you!
 
WOW, that's very shocking! Who would have guessed that something like that could happen!
I'm impressed at the km's you have put on that bike :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Blimey, that's a shocker for sure.
 
Cormanus,

The good thing is you are OK. As we always say, the bike can be repaired. I'm glad though that the damage isn't too bad.
 
Having piled on that much luv (~120,000 kms), I suppose the odd episode can happen. The bike has "war wound" character, maybe temporarily enhanced with some duct tape (or better) until you bother with formal repair? A big heat resistant band-aid? :)

Nevertheless, glad it read it wasn't something serious enough to kick you off the bike at speed.
 
If we lived in the post apocalyptic world of Mad Max, with no reasonable alternative, I would suggest thorough cleaning, duct tape the hole outer surface, pour liquid steel or some such into the cavity, Let dry, remove tape, cross fingers, and go another gazillion km.

Ben
 
I guess if there is any good with this is there wasn’t enough space between the end of the countershaft spline and the inside of the cover for the sprocket to come off the shaft and get wedged between the end of the shaft and cover. Could have caused a dangerous situation while riding.
 
Ben70_imp said:
If we lived in the post apocalyptic world of Mad Max, with no reasonable alternative, I would suggest thorough cleaning, duct tape the hole outer surface, pour liquid steel or some such into the cavity, Let dry, remove tape, cross fingers, and go another gazillion km.

Ben
I thought of something like that too, but would be concerned that vibration, heat expansion and contraction might eventually break it free.
Since the cover is out of sight I like the welding option better as suggested by Razor.
All that said, I suppose if it was me I would buy a new cover :D :D :D
 
Ben70_imp said:
If we lived in the post apocalyptic world of Mad Max, with no reasonable alternative, I would suggest thorough cleaning, duct tape the hole outer surface, pour liquid steel or some such into the cavity, Let dry, remove tape, cross fingers, and go another gazillion km.

Ben
That's the way to go! I would add 1-2 bent stainless steel paper-clips to give more stability, like iron in concrete.

But then, that's probably German uber engineering again... :D
 
"If we lived in the post apocalyptic world of Mad Max, with no reasonable alternative, I would suggest thorough cleaning, duct tape the hole outer surface, pour liquid steel or some such into the cavity, Let dry, remove tape, cross fingers, and go another gazillion km."

As I was reading this, I was thinking of something I did long ago to fix a hole in a transmission case on a truck. Find the largest coin that will fit in that hole if you were to round the hole out a bit so the coin has something to "grab". Tape one side of the hole, put the coin in for some structure, JB Weld, fingers crossed.

I had the luxury of being able to look under the truck repeatedly for many miles until I was satisfied that the repair would hold. If you ran without the plastic cover over the sprocket for a while, you might be able to do the same.
 
to elaborate on some things that have already been said, could the puncture in the front sprocket cover have been caused by the bolt being torqued too much, or was it a case of it being torqued too little? either way, i can't fathom forces involved in launching a nut through solid metal with enough force to create what looks like a bullet hole.
 
Back
Top