A Christmas Ride

Nice work, Gone.
 
Thread starter
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Gone, it would be even funnier if you were kidding about the fake snow.
Yeah, but you know I'm not. Case in point, here's a house in La Mirada, that goes nuts each year with a Christmas Vacation theme. Each year he adds a new element. He's got the correct year and model Condor motorhome that Cousin Eddie drives, a correct year and color Taurus wagon, with woodgrain, carrying an uprooted tree, a period-correct Chicago police car, mannequins depicting all of the major scenes.

Last year, the big addition was a false second story on his house, to turn a California ranch-style home into a good rendition of the two-story Griswold home.

This year, he found the correct year and color Dodge four-door pickup from the opening highway scene, complete with "Dog on Duty" plate on the grill.

The piece de resistance this year, however, was the addition of 12 industrial snow blowers, which blow a soapy, snowy mixture all over the scene every five minutes.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Gone, it would be even funnier if you were kidding about the fake snow.
Yeah, but you know I'm not. Case in point, here's a house in La Mirada, that goes nuts each year with a Christmas Vacation theme. Each year he adds a new element. He's got the correct year and model Condor motorhome that Cousin Eddie drives, a correct year and color Taurus wagon, with woodgrain, carrying an uprooted tree, a period-correct Chicago police car, mannequins depicting all of the major scenes.

Last year, the big addition was a false second story on his house, to turn a California ranch-style home into a good rendition of the two-story Griswold home.

This year, he found the correct year and color Dodge four-door pickup from the opening highway scene, complete with "Dog on Duty" plate on the grill.

The piece de resistance this year, however, was the addition of 12 industrial snow blowers, which blow a soapy, snowy mixture all over the scene every five minutes.
Yeah, but you know I'm not. Case in point, here's a house in La Mirada, that goes nuts each year with a Christmas Vacation theme. Each year he adds a new element. He's got the correct year and model Condor motorhome that Cousin Eddie drives, a correct year and color Taurus wagon, with woodgrain, carrying an uprooted tree, a period-correct Chicago police car, mannequins depicting all of the major scenes.

Last year, the big addition was a false second story on his house, to turn a California ranch-style home into a good rendition of the two-story Griswold home.

This year, he found the correct year and color Dodge four-door pickup from the opening highway scene, complete with "Dog on Duty" plate on the grill.

The piece de resistance this year, however, was the addition of 12 industrial snow blowers, which blow a soapy, snowy mixture all over the scene every five minutes.
:rofl:

For the last many years here, Christmas Vacation has come up in at least the top three best (or most voted) Christmas movies ever - even once or twice as #1.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
You mean the fake snow we staple to our lawns?
Gone, this is even pre-junior kindergarten stuff....
..but geeez, in Canada, we spell snowflake, not fake :P
:beerchug:
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I did a New Years Eve in southern California and I recall folks packing up holiday gear immediately after Christmas. Would have been nice to see anything, ... even fake.

These days I would be happy seeing riders enjoying their bikes during the holidays. Possibly even HD riders.
 
Cool video. Makes me think it would be enjoyable to see more members video vaunts through some of the streets of their towns.
 
GO, your comment about doing a New Year's Eve in Southern California reminded me of my first NYE in SoCal. I hitch-hiked from Edwards Air Force Base to Van Nuys to my girl-friend's house. I was 19 and she was 16 and her parents treated me like one of the family. It was 1959-60 and when I got there, we all went to a friend's house. The friend was a racing enthusiast who was friends with a drag-racer who was fairly well-known at the time, named Tommy Ivo. Our host and I were talking cars and he took me out back to show me his recent acquisition. In the alley was a car covered by a tarp. He pulled the tarp off to reveal a 1937 Cord 810 Convertible, my all-time favorite car. Sitting in an alley, covered by a tarp.
A very Southern California New Year's Eve.
 
Wow, what a swell story Nach. I can imagine what you describe. Must have left quite the impression indeed.

If I recall well enough (thankfully I wasn't driving), I was up on Mulholland Drive past midnight and up to and behind the Hollywood sign to take in all that was Los Angeles. Seemed vast at night with the almost infinite city lights. Anyway, seemed like the thing to do while there.
 
Thread starter
Ah yes, winter in Southern California. Beautiful indeed. Just this morning, I turned the hose on two undesirables exchanging stolen merchandise behind my warehouse and peeing on my dumpster.

Actually, it's not too bad. Nacho, that's a very cool story about Tommy Ivo. They've got his four-engined car at the Wally Parks museum in Pomona. Or at least they did last time I was there. Along the lines of your story, a few weekends ago, I was taking in the Christmas lights on Balboa Island here in Orange County. It was drizzling, and I saw something similar to your 810 Cord under a tarp - a '56 Lincoln Mk2 in primer, no hubcaps, with a surfboard on the roof.
 
Back
Top