A blast from the past...

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Quite some time back during a bit of nostalgic daydreaming I recalled the white caps that were sold by Bell Helmets. I remember having one when I was young, but I have no idea what I ever did with it.

I visited to eBay out of curiosity to see what I might find. Surprisingly I turned up nothing. Then I googled the darn things. I found almost no information out there on the web about this apparently elusive item. (In time a few grungy examples showed up on eBay for insane prices.)

That would have been the end of the story had I not found the same basic white cap (minus the spiffy patch) for sale locally for cheap. While the original caps were hard to come by on eBay, the patches were not. So I bought one in order to make a Bell Helmets cap of my own.

It actually turned out better than I expected. Now that I've finished the cap, I'm not exactly sure how much use I'll get out of it. Honestly, it doesn't really matter as I was on a bit of a mission. It does strike me as the perfect headgear to wear for activities like washing and polishing the CB.

Anyone else remember these?

f53d7aaf0ccb9d55b226c022f929039c.jpg
 
Oh my God! I totally remember those hats! My mom used to buy them for us when we were kids! I haven't seen one in years. We used to beg her to pop them and she'd use them as leverage to get us to eat our broccoli. Worked every time! I never thought to wear them. That's just crazy.

 
I still have my Bell cap. When I bought my '73 BMW I purchased a Bell Star helmet at the same time so my dealer threw in the cap. I saw Jackie Stewart wearing one like it that year at Watkins Glen. I thought it the coolest piece of gear I had.
 
I'm a big fan of Bell helmets. I currently have an RS-1 and a Vortex. While I was at the motorcycle show a few weeks back, I had the contours of my head digitally mapped (I had to wear something that looked like a balaclava then sit still while a 360 degree scan of my head took place). According to the Bell rep, I should always wear a helmet to hide my unsightly lumps and creases. Maybe I'll settle for a Bell cap instead.

The digital mapping actually occurred. Supposedly, Bell can and will custom shape the inner shell/liner to fit the exact contours of your head (so long as it's for the Star model helmet). The Star is more of a track helmet and rather pricey. Don't know if I'll ever spring for one. I thought the idea was a good one.

Back to the cap. Did I mention that my mom used to buy those for us?
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
I still have my Bell cap. When I bought my '73 BMW I purchased a Bell Star helmet at the same time so my dealer threw in the cap. I saw Jackie Stewart wearing one like it that year at Watkins Glen. I thought it the coolest piece of gear I had.
That's awesome redbirds!

I can remember Jackie Stewart wearing those caps as well. When I was really young, I thought they were cool because my dad had one. Of course it didn't hurt that someone like Roger DeCoster was also seen wearing them. Here's one of the few photos that I could find out on the web:
a1ca52c3df6e544ae0f60b074439ee01.jpg

metallyguitarded, now you've just gone and made me hungry.

The Bell digital head mapping stuff is impressive, but it can't really hold a candle to that miracle of science known as Jiffy Pop.
 
They were never worn around here that I can recall, but I remember seeing them on televised races like Indy and others.
I have a full head of hair and only wear a cap or hat if it's raining/storming, or if I'm out in the sun all day, but they are cool :thumbsup:
 
Some industrious, and probably retired, forum member should reach out to Bell about producing these again. :D
 
Anyone else find it ironic that he is wearing a Bell cap while riding, instead of a Bell helmet? :D
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Anyone else find it ironic that he is wearing a Bell cap while riding, instead of a Bell helmet? :D
Friction from the cap against the asphalt immediately pops the kernels that make up the inner liner. In essence, an air bag, way before its time. In my opinion, one of the most brilliant inventions of the 20th century.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Anyone else find it ironic that he is wearing a Bell cap while riding, instead of a Bell helmet? :D
Yes.
 
Soooooo...I just sent an email to Bell asking them to consider reintroducing the white "Stroker"/Newsboy cap. They replied saying that they have forwarded it to their products division. LOL We'll see, but this will probably go the way of my suggestion to Buff that they come out with a black/white checkered (finish line style) Buff neck/head wrap.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Soooooo...I just sent an email to Bell asking them to consider reintroducing the white "Stroker"/Newsboy cap. They replied saying that they have forwarded it to their products division. LOL We'll see, but this will probably go the way of my suggestion to Buff that they come out with a black/white checkered (finish line style) Buff neck/head wrap.
Be sure to keep us posted on this development. :rofl:
 
redbirds_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Anyone else find it ironic that he is wearing a Bell cap while riding, instead of a Bell helmet? :D
I never recall trials riders from that era wearing helmets but many wore caps.
I never recall trials riders from that era wearing helmets but many wore caps.
Exactly. Through the late 70's, trials riders just didn't wear helmets. Even today, we still wear open face helmets, specific to the sport. The helmets are light, the necks are cut different to allow you to look up easily, and the bills on the front are much shorter (for the same purpose) than on other offroad helmets.

198f981c6a96e22591a83360d4edf100.jpg
 
Cool pic DG. One of the guys I street ride with sometimes was into Observed Trials. You guys amaze me with your balance.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cool pic DG. One of the guys I street ride with sometimes was into Observed Trials. You guys amaze me with your balance.
That is from one of our vintage trials, out on the north side of Houston. We do both modern and vintage. Very different, and both fun!
 
Back
Top