The Gecko_imp
Been there
Thread starter
You may have heard about it or not, you may think it is old hat or not.
But since reading about it, it has me wonder ... is this really something I have to learn and train after a total some 80,000 miles on m/c without accident ? I think I do.
The latest studies on best collision avoidance technique say that one technique works better for the average guy than any other, when it comes to avoid a collision. This is regardless of ABS or not, and it requires a little bit of training in order to overcome old habits:
- brake as hard as surface and tires allow - with or without ABS,
- do not release the brakes unless you feel the rear lifting off (ABS does not prevent this !)
- when you get closer and your speed is already reduced (significantly), do two things
-> keep not releasing the brakes, not even a little
-> lean away from the collision course (fixed obstacle or moving target)
This technique tested with a few hundred volunteers on the road and in simulations has provided better collision avoidance than any other technique. As you noticed, this ain't saying what to do in a lean. My guess, they had the much more dangerous left turning traffic ahead of you in mind.
Unfortunately I cannot find the link any more - but one of you may find it on youtube.
But since reading about it, it has me wonder ... is this really something I have to learn and train after a total some 80,000 miles on m/c without accident ? I think I do.
The latest studies on best collision avoidance technique say that one technique works better for the average guy than any other, when it comes to avoid a collision. This is regardless of ABS or not, and it requires a little bit of training in order to overcome old habits:
- brake as hard as surface and tires allow - with or without ABS,
- do not release the brakes unless you feel the rear lifting off (ABS does not prevent this !)
- when you get closer and your speed is already reduced (significantly), do two things
-> keep not releasing the brakes, not even a little
-> lean away from the collision course (fixed obstacle or moving target)
This technique tested with a few hundred volunteers on the road and in simulations has provided better collision avoidance than any other technique. As you noticed, this ain't saying what to do in a lean. My guess, they had the much more dangerous left turning traffic ahead of you in mind.
Unfortunately I cannot find the link any more - but one of you may find it on youtube.
