8K service

kennyw

Road warrior
Thread starter
Oil changed, bike washed, waxed, changed to metalmaven's license bracket, and new brake pads today. It's looking like a nice weekend to get out and ride up here.

e5b43df9e4f3bd9292ba5ee09ee41cf5.jpg


2665801aeb1c8f76e26021bad16968dd.jpg


95c431ee75c2ce39df9ec7fc20d00538.jpg
 
Thread starter
I bought the bike used and the rear pads were a bit thin and worn unevenly. I think the guy before me rode the rear brake. Fronts look great still. The rear caliper also has some play that I don't like. Not sure if that is normal yet.

I would have done a valve check but don't have any information on what needs to be done yet. I need to look that up still.
 
According to the service manual, at 8,000 miles, the following should be done:

Inspect: fuel line, throttle operation, valve clearance, engine idle speed, secondary air supply system, drive chain slider, brake fluid, brake pad wear, brake system, brake light switch, headlight aim, clutch system, clutch fluid, side stand, suspension, nuts/bolts/fasteners, wheels/tires, and steering head bearings

Clean: crankcase breather

Replace: spark plugs, engine oil, engine oil filter

Of all those inspections, checking valve clearances will prove to be the most labor intensive. I haven't done a search on the forum but know there are some high mileage CBs here and I don't recall reading about any of them being out of spec. Still, I plan to at least check mine when the time comes and, if any adjustments are needed, I hope to have the courage to do it myself.

Also, replacing the spark plugs at 8K miles seems a bit early to me. I'll probably just check mine and wait until 16K miles before replacing them.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Over 12k miles on #95 and have yet to crack it open for anything other than oil and filter.

Ditto....will turn over 13K in the next day or two
 
Back
Top