83lbf-ft on the rear axle nut

Razorbacjac_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Doesn't seem real snug...so I tighten it a little more(around 90). But it got me to wondering if you can bend the swingarm by over tighting. My other bikes the nuts seemed much tighter.:-/
 
Good night man, 83 foot pounds is a lot! The 14's only call for 68 foot pounds I believe.
 
Oh I know thats the spec, I just couldn't believe you didn"t think that was enough!
 
My FZ-1 called for 108 ft lbs.... I dont think I ever tightened it over 80 ft lbs. Even then when out on the road, it was a bear to get loose with the factory tool kit, like when adjusting the chain while on a trip.
 
You need a fair torque wrench to get that 83 comfortably. As Ferret says, releasing it with what's in the OEM tool kit needs, for me at least, a little bit of the old pipe extension. It's enough.

Cheers
 
I find 83 to be more than I would tighten without a torque wrench. You get a bit more leverage with a 1/2 torque wrench ( longer handle )than you would with a normal ratchet, could be why it feels like you could go more.
 
I always tightened the rear axle snug without a torque wrench and mine never came loose nor was an issue at the next chain check. So you never have to over tighten them. Sometimes I'll get a new bike and am amazed how over tightened some things are. Spec never feels like a bear did it.
 
In German we say: "Nach ganz fest kommt ganz lose", which is straight translated: "After firmly comes very loose" :D

Easy does it.
 
Wouldn't hurt to get your torque wrench checked at the value your target value. None of them stay accurate forever. You're not going to bend the swing arm, but you could start to collapse the bearing spacer which would really screw up your bearing alignment, causing the inner to outer race alignment to be tight and squeeze the grease out of the contact surfaces, overheat, and destroy the bearings.
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
Wouldn't hurt to get your torque wrench checked at the value your target value. None of them stay accurate forever. You're not going to bend the swing arm, but you could start to collapse the bearing spacer which would really screw up your bearing alignment, causing the inner to outer race alignment to be tight and squeeze the grease out of the contact surfaces, overheat, and destroy the bearings.

I'll have to remember that. Sounds like good advice.
 
Once a year I check my clicker style torque wrench against a beam type to make certain that the settings are spot on.
A beam type does not loose its accuracy much and I use the beam type only to check the clicker wrench.
 
I am awaiting my service manual. I have read on this forum that the axel bolt and nut required a 27mm and 32 mm. That is not what I have on my 2014 CB 1100 Deluxe. The bolt head on left is 22 mm and the nut on right is 27mm or SAE 1 1/16th inch. I did do the chain adjustment which was needed due to chain slack at 601 miles and first service. Was difinitly getting chain clunking on acceleration. Does anyone have the correct Honda torque spec for the rear axel nut on the 2014 Honda CB 1100 Deluxe model. I believe someone had posted 68 ft. lbs. but not for sure its for the 2014 C1100 Deluxe. Seems there must be a least 2 differant axels for these CB 1100. Any help is appreciated.:biker:
 
Thanks so much Ferret. Been waiting all day for USPS to bring the service manual. No show yet. I will have to read through your thread on the 600 mile service as I hadn't seen it until your response and the link to it. Thanks again for the help and hope to return the favor. I do like turning me own wrenches. :thanks:
 
You won't bend the swing arm because there is a spacer between the wheel bearings preventing this from happening, but you could strip the threads on the nut. If the spacer wasn't there you would destroy your wheel bearings first - they're not designed for that kind of load.
 
Dave_imp said:
You won't bend the swing arm because there is a spacer between the wheel bearings preventing this from happening, but you could strip the threads on the nut. If the spacer wasn't there you would destroy your wheel bearings first - they're not designed for that kind of load.
Thanks Dave, I had previously torqued the axle nut to 68 ft.lbs on my 2014 CB 1100 Deluxe, as I had earlier read in the forum that it was either 68 or 85 ft. lbs, but wasn't sure which torque was for which axle as there seems to be two differant axles for these CB 1100's. Per Ferrets response, I re-torqued the axle nut to 65 ft. lbs. I'm assuming that 3 ft.lbs over didn't do any damage since I didn't ride the bike. So I think were good. Thanks again!:cool:
 
Back
Top