75 miles for a cheeseburger aka a ride to Quatman's

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
I live about 35 miles from the city of Cincy. Actually grew up there and moved to the country when I got married at 23. In one of the suburbs of Cincy is a little burb called Norwood, once famous for having a GM plant. Plant built Camaros and Chevy II Novas. The plant had all kinds of trouble with absenteeism, poor production numbers, poor quality control, vandalism, lots of theft etc. Anyhow back in the early 70's there was talk of it shutting down but the Union was strong then, and thought itself invincible.

Hang in there this is going someplace lol.

One day it was rumored the Governor was coming in to inspect the GM plant to see why GM was considering closing it. He was trying to save jobs. The workers thinking that there was no way they were going to close it, barely showed up on the day the Gov was there. 23% absentee rate IIRC. Long story short the plant was closed down.

Ok here's where it comes together.

There was a little Café in town at the corner of Montgomery Road and Quatman Ave which made a good name for itself by feeding the GM workers. For 50 cents you got a huge grilled cheeseburger, with a slice of onion and dill pickle slices and a serving of potato chips. It became THE place where the blue collar workers went to eat lunch. Nothing fancy just big juicy burgers and chips for a couple of quarters. It was called Quatman Cafe, or just Quatman's. When I was in high school in the late 60's my mom would save her dimes until she got $1.50 together, and then she would drive down to Quatman's and buy cheeseburgers for dinner for herself and my brother and I (mine without onion of course lol) . It was a real treat.

Anyhow after the closing of the auto plant the locals started eating at Quatman's and it has been serving the same burgers only now supplanted with fries instead of chips, still with onion and pickle, served on a paper plate on tables covered by red and white checkered cloth. I think this is their 50th year in business. My brother and I drive there maybe twice a year for a Quatman burger and today along with my son and his father in law was the day for a ride to Quatman's.


here's some pics from today's ride.. my brother's Bonnie, my CB, my son's FJ-09 and Jim's ST in the lower parking lot




We elected to eat outside since it was a nice day, hence no red and white checkered table cloth, just a red and white umbrella (notice not a lot of hair in this group lol)

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2449_zpsx7ha9ful.jpg.html]

The burger worth a 75 mile trip. Burger, fries and a can of root beer has gone up in 50 years, now $7.50 with tax

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2451_zpsup5dsyx4.jpg.html]

some of the ride pics

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2458_zpsf8ah5rzw.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2460_zpsjgtctyoh.jpg.html]

Son on his new FJ-09 sans saddlebags

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2465_zpsa0j87rst.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2466_zpsootl90sk.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2472_zpsiuzek76x.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2475_zps09hl6dat.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2455_zpsf7odji0k.jpg.html]

Oh...and on the way there we stopped at the local Triumph dealer to check out the new T120 and Thruxton. They didn't have a Thruxton but my brother fell in love with the new Bonnie (really a nice machine!) and his 2003 Bonnie is now for sale lol

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF2447_zpsflwy4gcc.jpg.html]

all in all a great day, awesome motorcycles, beautiful ride, good food, and great company
 
Good story. We have a couple great burger spots up here in Indiana but none that have been around for 50 years though.
 
Great way to earn a feed.
 
:thumbsup: for a good day of riding in family and your bro's epic beard

Thumbs down for a chesseburger with too much ketchup, pickles and no bacon, no onions.
:D
 
A cheeseburger without onions! What?!?!

Great post ferret. Both informational and entertaining at the same time. Now I do love a good cheeseburger so this could be the basis for a whole series of cheeseburger pursuit ride reports. Thanks for sharing!

But still, a cheeseburger without onions? I suppose that I'll have to restore balance on the forum by taking a spin for a cheeseburger decked out with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles and mustard. :idea:

Nemo_imp said:
:thumbsup: for a good day of riding in family and your bro's epic beard

Thumbs down for a chesseburger with too much ketchup, pickles and no bacon, no onions.
:D
:rofl: To be fair, he didn't order a bacon cheeseburger, so I can let the bacon slide.
 
Thread starter
I'm pretty sure onions will kill you
 
A link with the Toyota Plant in Altona and perhaps the end of motor vehicle construction in Australia in the next couple of years.

Regards
 
Thread starter
you laugh, but every one I know that's had a heart attack, I've asked them if they ate onions and to a person got a positive response... you do the math
 
Redbirds, take some Vidalias to the rally and show Ferret what he is missing :)
 
The ferret_imp said:
you laugh, but every one I know that's had a heart attack, I've asked them if they ate onions and to a person got a positive response... you do the math
That's a spurious correlation.
 
The ferret_imp said:
you laugh, but every one I know that's had a heart attack, I've asked them if they ate onions and to a person got a positive response... you do the math
Clearly the onions are why they survived the attack and were still around to answer the question.

(This message was not sponsored by the national onion growers association, although it could be for the right price.)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Redbirds, take some Vidalias to the rally and show Ferret what he is missing :)
It may be that the Vidalias will be shown what they're missing.
 
Quote:Posted by Guth - Yesterday 10:21 PM

(Yesterday 09:52 AM)The ferret Wrote:
you laugh, but every one I know that's had a heart attack, I've asked them if they ate onions and to a person got a positive response... you do the math


Clearly the onions are why they survived the attack and were still around to answer the question. [/QUOTE]





hmmmm I'm not a fan of onions and had a heart attack. I survived it. That kind of shoots your theories all to heck.:D:thumbsup:
Kevin
 
Thread starter
Yea the verdict is still out and and research is being done. I'm telling ya..onions are dangerous .... I am not going to take a chance lol
 
Back
Top