68 CB450 Rebuild with pictures

I bought a new 69 (I think) CB450 while stationed over in Okinawa. Boiught it in 1972 I believe. It was my first BIG street bike. It was a left over in a crate at the local Honda shop. There were a few 550s and 750s around as I recall but not many on the island as the speed limit was 31 mph. Brought the bike back after making some mods (fold up footpegs, headlight bulb, turn signal lenses, etc.) to meet US DOT standards. The bike was fun to ride and felt really fast to me but vibrated badly as I recall. My wife and I rode all around the area on it. Sold the bike when I went overseas in 1976 as a civilian. Probably one of the best looking bikes I have ever owned. I always wanted one of the red ones that were sold in the early 70s but the black one with the chrome sides on the tank and the knee rubber looks like a tux almost.

This 44 year old photo was taken on the beach in Okinawa:

 
Thread starter
wiredgeorge_imp said:
I bought a new 69 (I think) CB450 while stationed over in Okinawa. Boiught it in 1972 I believe. It was my first BIG street bike. It was a left over in a crate at the local Honda shop. There were a few 550s and 750s around as I recall but not many on the island as the speed limit was 31 mph. Brought the bike back after making some mods (fold up footpegs, headlight bulb, turn signal lenses, etc.) to meet US DOT standards. The bike was fun to ride and felt really fast to me but vibrated badly as I recall. My wife and I rode all around the area on it. Sold the bike when I went overseas in 1976 as a civilian. Probably one of the best looking bikes I have ever owned. I always wanted one of the red ones that were sold in the early 70s but the black one with the chrome sides on the tank and the knee rubber looks like a tux almost.

This 44 year old photo was taken on the beach in Okinawa:
That's a great story George. I first came across one when I was 11 or 12 and the guy around the corner from my house had a few bikes he worked on in his garage. I remember him taking the transmission gears out of it and baking them in his mothers oven. He was telling us how baking them would make them stronger. I was thinking how cool is that. I always wanted one after that. It only took me 45 more years to get one.
 
Check out those knee pads. Look like they might would fit our tank. Hey Ferret, whats the part number? :)
 
That might have been the best looking bike I have ever owned. Memories of certain bike get sweeter with age as the bike vibrated like mad at US highway speeds but the missus and I did a lot of two-up riding on the thing. I can't imagine how we would look today on that bike bwhahaha.
 
Mike,

This is one of the best threads that has ever been put up on this forum. What an amazing project and it was a blast to follow.

Chip
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Mike,

This is one of the best threads that has ever been put up on this forum. What an amazing project and it was a blast to follow.

Chip
Thanks again everyone. I've run into a few snags, there is a skip under acceleration that I'm hoping is only the ignition timing. I'll sort that out this weekend. The other problem is that it doesn't want to downshift into first, it will go in if its not running but not all the time when moving along. I'm thinking that it might be the clutch dragging a little or the oil. I'm going to change the oil and hope for the best. Wish me luck!
 
What a great job Mike, I wish I had the talent and patience for a restore. I do have one questions, all the 70's Honda's that I can remember had the tach on the right, was it on the left for this bike?
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
What a great job Mike, I wish I had the talent and patience for a restore. I do have one questions, all the 70's Honda's that I can remember had the tach on the right, was it on the left for this bike?
The front disc brake front end is from a 71 or 72 and had this gauge set up with the dashboard. I thought it looked out of place on the bike. I went with what I think is a 1970 cluster and CL gauges. They would only mount the one way as far as I can recall. I think they look more period correct even though not correct for a restoration. It's going to be a rider anyway.
4b00b50ed008aa03630e474b67d4cfc0.png
 
Thread starter
Seems like I worked most of the kinks out. I Drained out the Shell Rotella and replaced it with Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil and there is a big difference in the shifting. I replaced the coils and timed it and its running good.
 
Very cool read...missed all of it as it was progressing, but your write up made for an enjoyable evening. Very nice job...I think, if only I had the skills. I have a brother who is an awesome mechanic and has a huge shed and would love to help me out...alas he lives a mere 2000 miles away : (
 
Back
Top