5sp Vs. 6sp. whats the difference when riding?

disorientedpilot_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
As I look around at these bikes, there are a lot of 13s around for discounted rates. However, I am patient, and have a buy once, cry once philosophy with machines.

So, do you guys with 13s carry too many RPMs on the highway? Do you 14ers use 6th gear?

Thanks!
 
4K at 70. I don't think that's too high at all, but some guys have opted for a 19T front sprocket to bring it down a little for long distance cruising.
 
I use 6th every time I ride. For normal riding I'm in 3rd for 30-40, 4th for 40-50, 5th for 50-60, and 6th for 60+.
I believe it turns 3500 at 75, might be 3700 - it's been a while since I paid attention to the revs while on the interstate; I'll have to take it out for a "test run" and note the rpms at higher speeds.
Also note that the ratios on the '14 (1-5) are all slightly taller, with 6th being overdrive @ 0.964.

2013 ------ 2014
1) 3.166 -- 3.083
2) 2.062 -- 1.941
3) 1.545 -- 1.478
4) 1.250 -- 1.240
5) 1.111 -- 1.074
6) ------ -- 0.964
 
I forget the actual difference in revs... the 5th speed turns the same on both bikes but the addition of the 6th. gear calms the engine down nicely at highway speeds. In my opinion, it really depends on the type of riding you'll do coupled with the difference in price between both bikes. If you can, ride both before you part with the cash. Good luck!
 
I use 6th routinely when out cruising down the highway. I've tried just running 5th and it seems she's telling me to grab that last cog and we go into "glide" mode. RPM's hover just under 3000 at speeds around 60. Personally I like the "overdrive" capability of this unit combined with very little to no vibration and overall stable ride.
 
I know that those with the sixth gear love it, and they should, but with easily over 5000 miles of highway riding (12000 total miles), I can tell you the 5 speed is just fine. Not sure exactly what price I'd put on having the sixth gear, but I could get a 13 at a very good price, I wouldn't hesitate to choose it over the 14...but that's just me.
 
IIRC, I turn 3400 at 60 and 4000 at 70 as Randy said, on my 2013 5-Speed. It's not at all buzzy and I feel no vibrations at that speed.
I had kind of thought I would need the 6th gear but just couldn't pass up the '13 for only $7000.
I also have a Honda NT700 and it also has a 5-speed. On the NT I'm occasionally trying to find a 6th gear. I haven't done that on the CB.
 
I have a 2011 5-speed. When I ride on the highway it's about 120 kph according to the speedo, or just over 4000 rpm. Like EmptySea, I reckon it's just fine and there's no real need for an extra gear. That said, if I had 6th, I'm sure I'd use it.
 
I mentioned this a while ago, and the answer I got was this:
2013 5th gear @ 60: ~3300 rpm.
2014 6th gear @ 60: ~2750 rpm

I'm not ready for a sprocket change, as I enjoy how anxious the bike can be in top gear on the highway. But I really do wish my bike had a 6th gear. If I ever do a long tour with lots of slab (as I surely will soon), I'll probably swap the sprocket, as it seems to be a fairly simple and inexpensive mod. Honda should've made it a 6-spd from the beginning! (The retro/tribute intention is excellently done, but it IS a modern bike).
 
Over the years I'm grow less surprised how many are affected by vibration, wind, buffeting, seat, etc... makes me wonder why they ride motorcycles? Plenty of modern motorcycles have 5 gears, and I could spend money much more efficiently on a touring bike and not a CB if I was planning on touring. Or better yet, I'd drive a car.:rolleyes:
 
I've been riding my sons '14 DLX a lot and I can tell you from experience, regardless of what the numbers say, in real world use, the difference between 5th and 6th is insignificant.
I think the bike has 1700 miles on it so far, mostly mine. We don't ride the interstates much, but do a lot of cruising at 60 and 70. Often I look down at the gear indicator while cruising and find the bike in 5th.
Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a '13, especially if the price was right :)
 
I was a little miffed to learn the 2014 had a 6 speed right after I picked up my 2013. Logic would dictate more cogs are better, right? Maybe, but Honda did a great job matching the 5 ratios to this engine. You can get away with that when you torque curve is so flat.

I find that cruising 70-75 mph is smooth and at 4 rpm, it pulls like a tractor without downshifting. With such a power plant, less gears means less shifting. I still try to shift to the nonexistent 6th gear, but I also tried shifting to "7th" on my V - Strom and in my former car.

I haven't ridden a 2014, so all I can't say if it's better. I can say I like my 2013 and don't feel like the extra money I'd have paid would have been worth it for the transmission alone. There are certainly compelling reasons aside from that to get the newer model. I am happy I found a good deal and was able to pay mine off already.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I've been riding my sons '14 DLX a lot and I can tell you from experience, regardless of what the numbers say, in real world use, the difference between 5th and 6th is insignificant.
I think the bike has 1700 miles on it so far, mostly mine. We don't ride the interstates much, but do a lot of cruising at 60 and 70. Often I look down at the gear indicator while cruising and find the bike in 5th.
Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a '13, especially if the price was right :)
There seem to be a few about. You should buy one. You know you want to. :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I've been riding my sons '14 DLX a lot and I can tell you from experience, regardless of what the numbers say, in real world use, the difference between 5th and 6th is insignificant.
I think the bike has 1700 miles on it so far, mostly mine. We don't ride the interstates much, but do a lot of cruising at 60 and 70. Often I look down at the gear indicator while cruising and find the bike in 5th.
Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a '13, especially if the price was right :)
There seem to be a few about. You should buy one. You know you want to. :D
Agreed. Put some miles on the bike and see what you like and what you might want to improve or change.

With the money saved on a 2013 you can get some accessories to make a great bike even better. And a 19t countershaft sprocket change is very easy and inexensive if you want to lower revs a bit without impacting performance.
 
I think I read the new Honda VFR800 sport touring bike is doing over 4K RPM's at 70 MPH....so apparently its no big deal to sit at 4K RPM's for hours at a time.

But for me, the CB1100 does not feel like a bike that is at it's best cruising at > 70MPH anyway...
 
gossman_imp said:
Over the years I'm grow less surprised how many are affected by vibration, wind, buffeting, seat, etc... makes me wonder why they ride motorcycles? Plenty of modern motorcycles have 5 gears, and I could spend money much more efficiently on a touring bike and not a CB if I was planning on touring. Or better yet, I'd drive a car.:rolleyes:
That seems a reasonable deduction to me.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
I was a little miffed to learn the 2014 had a 6 speed right after I picked up my 2013. Logic would dictate more cogs are better, right? Maybe, but Honda did a great job matching the 5 ratios to this engine. You can get away with that when you torque curve is so flat.

I find that cruising 70-75 mph is smooth and at 4 rpm, it pulls like a tractor without downshifting. With such a power plant, less gears means less shifting. I still try to shift to the nonexistent 6th gear, but I also tried shifting to "7th" on my V - Strom and in my former car.

I haven't ridden a 2014, so all I can't say if it's better. I can say I like my 2013 and don't feel like the extra money I'd have paid would have been worth it for the transmission alone. There are certainly compelling reasons aside from that to get the newer model. I am happy I found a good deal and was able to pay mine off already.
I blew the cobwebs off the CBR the other week and rode it to work. Six gears is more work. I ride in the highest gear I can get away with, so I'm basically just going from 3-5/6th right away. More lever presses = annoying.
 
I ride my 5-speed all day long (literally) at 80-90 mph, and it seems fine to me. Then again, I rode a Shovelhead Harley for 20 years, so draw your own conclusions.
 
Gentlemen,

I love my CB but I'm always reaching for that nonexistent 6th gear. The big torque motor has plenty of power to pull a 6th gear and calm high speeds down. I'm changing my countershaft sprocket when I can find the time but that's a half way measure. I will probably trade for a 6 speed CB and would have already if I didn't like all my current mods/setup so well. I would definitely buy a 6 speed if I had the choice starting out.

Chip
 
Back
Top